• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I may have voided the warranty, I modded the forend

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I hate the sporter style forend, I especially hate that there isn't an action slide tube.

I finally tired of the stupid sticky outy "ear" like thingys to either side of the beveled section in front of the loading port.

image.jpg

So I cut them off. I used a fine sawzall blade by hand and followed that existing bevel. I then smoothed with 80 grit sand paper, still by hand, and then finished with a fine flat file.

image.jpg

It results in a much better looking, snag-free, loading area.

image.jpg

Thanks! Aesthetically, yes. Will it improve my shooting, probably not. But it's been something that catches on stuff every now and then.

I may be able to get a better shot @Bobster

I do not like my mag port area to be covered by the handguard either and will usually cut the handguard back so it's not, or replace it with a handguard of a different style or do something else with it.

The last handguard that I cut, I got lucky and was able to cut it straight across the whole width of the forend without any fancy detailing. Although even though I used the last factory machined rib as a guide where to cut it by using a piece of masking tape up against the side of the rib, it isn't perfectly straight in relation to the receiver, but is close enough for my needs.

western field forend 003.JPG

I like how you did a contour with your handguard. It looks very professional and factory.

Last edited:
I do not like my mag port area to be covered by the handguard either and will usually cut the handguard back so it's not, or replace it with a handguard of a different style or do something else with it.

The last handguard that I cut, I got lucky and was able to cut it straight across the whole width of the forend.

I like how you did a contour with your handguard. It looks very professional and factory.

Thanks John, it was easy to follow that bevel, far easier I believe than it would have been for me to make a square cut across the end.

I have a few more pics at @Bobster s request!

Firstly another view of the forend;

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back