• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need some help with identifying a hole

Funny, one time a buddy and I were on the way to work. It was dark around 0430 and there was a dead coyote on a hairpin turn in the road, might cause a wreck we thought and since we knew damn near everyone who drives that road I stopped and my buddy got out lifted the yote over his head and threw it in the ditch. When he got back in the dome light came on and he had about 20 ticks crawling on his face and shirt….eeewwww

oli700 said:
Funny, one time a buddy and I were on the way to work. It was dark around 0430 and there was a dead coyote on a hairpin turn in the road, might cause a wreck we thought and since we knew damn near everyone who drives that road I stopped and my buddy got out lifted the yote over his head and threw it in the ditch. When he got back in the dome light came on and he had about 20 ticks crawling on his face and shirt….eeewwww

If that happen to me, I'd really contemplate playing "burning monk" to get them off!

Well I've been a bit busy the last couple days but I haven't seen anything in the last three days. I put out a can of beef'o roni for giggles last night. Poured a little on the ground and stood the can up next to it. Checked it this morning and it was empty with only a few noodles left in the bottom of the can. The can appears to have been in the jaws of something. Teeth marks on both sides of the can and it was slightly bent. I'm not sure how large the jaw opening is on smaller animals that may have been involved as well but the marks are on the opposite side of the can.

I think they're catching on though because I haven't seen anything in the day. I can't really shoot at night either.

I2MAxl.jpg

So check this out. I had some squirrels hanging out this afternoon so I shot one with the 22. I was originally going to cut it open but the cci stingers did it for me. Blew out the other side of the guy. Anyway, I put it out to try to bait them out...sun goes down and nothing. About 30 minutes after dark I hear some yips and some howling about 70 yards or so away from the area of one of the dens. I got excited as I finally hear a yote. I wanted to hangout just to see if anything comes out and guess what...from my rear left I hear something so I look over. It walks out to the clearing and walks it looking for something to eat and goes right by the squirrel like it wasn't even there then runs into the woods. I'm working with the moon light only so from what I saw I believe that it was a fox going by the longer looking tail. I'm aware that some coyotes have fairly long tails but I believe this was a fox.

Now my question is this...from what I've read, foxes don't den close to each other nor do they have such large openings. I would guess that coyotes and foxes wouldn't be living in the same area either. I'm really confused now. I know that this isn't the larger animal I've been seeing either because this one looked rather short. This was a different direction than the howling as well just to clarify.

No they dont den together in packs, but only immediate family groups.

Their territory can overlap with coyotes for sure... would they den close to coyotes? Dont know for sure.

We have fox dens in the woods here, but I havent noticed any coyote dens though the coyote certainly range this far from where ever they start. I imagine fox could do the same.

I'm waiting to get a chance to look at the trail camera. It only took four photos so I'm thinking I have it too high. It's around 4 1/2 feet, roughly. There were prints as well but they were too distorted.

Coyote scat is often rope-like, very tapered, and spongy, with a diameter of approximately 1/2 of an inch. The contents can vary widely due to their omnivorous diet, though it is often gray-colored and filled with hair and bones of small rodents. It is usually placed in the middle of trails, dirt roads, or trail/road intersections. Latrines (places where multiple scats have been deposited) are common. Coyote scat often does not have much of a scent.

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/coyote-tracks.html

Yeah, I'm not really thinking its anything else. Haven't been for a while. I just can't seem to get them to come out.

Checked the camera and only got one shot that was black. The flash didn't go off for some reason. Trying it again tonight and I lowered it to about 1 1/2 feet or so. I'm excited to see if I can get them on film.

Back