• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I should have owned one of these a LONG time ago

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Hi.

I'm kinda what you'd call an amateur chainsaw geek. I have several, all are quite new and high quality. They are big, though. The smallest has an 18" bar.

I needed to cut out a clearance along a length of farm fence where a grove of scrub trees and woody weeds had encroached right up against the fence. Distance was about 100-feet. Being over twenty feet high, and dense as a jungle, it was impossible to attempt walking inside the fence. Hell, I couldn't even see thru it.

So I really splurged and spent as much money as a big saw on a little 12" professional arborist top handle saw that weighs just seven pounds. I had to go to my saw dealer cuz the big box stores don't carry them and won't even order one. I like my saw shop better anyway.

The saw place has had my business a lot before, so they sorta overlooked the "Only for Professional Arborists" rule. Damn, this little thing cost as much as my biggest pro-grade saw.

But MAN, it was worth every single penny. I had to work from on my knees holding back weed schmoo from 1/4"~3/4" thick while holding that little top handle with my other hand, cutting right down parallel with and to the ground. There were a lot of blackberry vines entwined in there, too. Pulled and manhandled all that schmoo away. Then I had to stand and stoop and cut stuff from 2"~5" while again in awkward positions. I could not have done all that with my big saws.

Yeah, those pro tree feller types way up there in those treetops all own these little suckers, and now I understand why. One handed cutting with ease while my other hand was busy with other stuff.

Worth

Every

Penny

Last edited:
So didja get one of these? :) On my list of tools to get some day...

Kudos to you for buying from you local store. :thumbsup: Too many small equipment shops have gone under due to the "big box" stores. And Stihl (if that is what you bought) is only sold by dealers.

I have a couple ol' Craftsman (Poulan) 20" saws that have cut their share of wood--just bought a new chain for one in preparation for the hurricane season. Picked up a Ryobi 12" chainsaw for $50 on BF a couple years ago mainly because I am well stocked with batteries--have yet to get it dirty... ;) Also have a pole saw extension that goes on the end of a string trimmer.

Attachments

• ms-193-t-brochure.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
it was from dirt level, to above my head, and it was actually FUN even though it was getting HOT and humid. And I was sure I was going to get a couple of ticks on me.....

chainsawing thru the shidt.jpg

I tell ya' these really short bar chainsaws aren't to be overlooked......

I don’t live on acreage or burn wood anymore, so I’ve taken to using a small Poulan electric chain saw, 14” bar and a cheap Harbor freight electric pole saw, 9.5” bar. A 100’ extension cord keeps me from getting to far into the neighbors yard.lol I actually have 2 of the pole saws, but made the mistake of loaning one to my 92 year old father, and haven’t seen it for a while. I think he just walks the streets in his mobile home park, topping everything in sight.. you would think that with the advent of the decent battery packs available, somebody would have a top mount, one hander. They are instant on and off and relatively quiet. If I ever get the other saw back, I’d like to make a 25-30’ extension for it, and who knows, maybe a super light handheld…..

Back in the 70's the Echo chainsaw was the one they had for small work around here. The Stihls were always big saws. We used to rent out 36" Stihl saws.

My only chainsaw now is a 35+ year old Electramac 4.5, that I bought to trim my dad's trees in the 80's.
I drag it out once a year to trim the Christmas tree, or chop it up for recycling.

When my real trees and shrubs need trimming I call out a team of guys to trim & truck it all off in half a day.
I won't burn firewood, except small BBQ duty & I'm too old to be interested in tree climbing.

But I was much different in my youth. My mom was terrified. We changed houses many times, and a big neighborhood tree was always a conquest in the offing. ;)

Back