• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If money were no object...

Expat_PM

.270 WIN
If money were no object, nor laws or legal restrictions, what hunting rifle would you buy. Note, I said buy. Not some funky, hand built custom - we're talking "off the shelf."

Select a game type tell what rifle you would use to hunt it and why.

I'll go first

The game:
Lions. They are still the biggest, baddest out there and I want to bring one down some day just for the shear decadence of it (and to have a nice rug). Okay, I will probably never hunt lions but if I did this is what I would use...

Caliber:
The Weatherby .378 Magnum.
1. It's one of the flattest trajectories our there in a big game round. The same characteristics that make it travel fast and flat also contribute to it hitting with ENORMOUS energy. When you hit a lion with it he goes down (ALWAYS, well most of the time, well...pretty often).
2. Almost every country where hunting the big five (Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Cape Buffalo and Hippo) is still allowed (and yes, there are still many) require a minimum .375 caliber. That standard was original set to distinguish the Weatherby .378 Mag from everything below it.

Rifle:
Weatherby Mark V Ultramark in .378 Magnum
It's checkered at 20 LPI (lines per inch) That's the finest checkering on the market anywhere. I know it seems like cosmetic twaddle but it makes a true difference in your ability to grip the gun (especially in wet weather). To me it speaks to a larger desire on their part to go the extra mile and put in the effort to create a truly spectacular piece of craftsmanship
The sear is precision honed by hand to .008 to .014 with a 3.5 pound let off. The attention to detail in the trigger mechanism as a whole makes this an extraordinary gun to shoot.
The receiver and barrel are hand aligned to ensure they are perfectly parallel.
Overall craftsmanship and attention to hand gunsmithing in a production rifle as superlative.

Yes, I'm truly in love. But not enough to spend 3100 bones on it. But If I were dropping 25k on a safari you can bet I would put 3 of it into buying a magnificent rifle to shoot on the trip.

Come on guys!
Does no one dream about hunting that big lion or Kodiak or grizzly?

What would you hunt and what with?

Dillion Aero 134D in 7.62mm NATO to hunt flying squirrels. No gun to big, no target to small. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Dillon%20Aero%20M134D-T_1.jpg

Hmm.... I've never thought of this before. I guess it would be pretty awesome to shoot a lion or a zebra! I'm not too familiar with all of the guns out there so I can't really answer that part. I'm sure I'd do my research if I were someday actually given the chance.

ExPat! I really like this thread, sorry I'm just now seein this!

I'll start with the gun though.

sa9121-5.jpg

Its only $3500 and change. Its the Sprinfield Armory M1A/M21. Its ready for optics and a bi-pod. The walnut stock is adjustable across the comb so you can still get a good cheek weld with optics. The 22" heavy barrel has a 1:10 twist in 6 RH grooves and is equipped with a National Match flash suppressor. The National Match iron sights are 1/2 MOA adjustable. I dont much care for a military two stage trigger, but it is at least tuned down to a 4.5 lb pull and 5 lb let off rather than the even heavier 5 lb pull. This is essentailly an M14 with semi auto fire only.

The bullet is .308 winchester. Why? Its common and readily available and heavy enough for large game. Combined with the M21 it will reach way the heck out there for a shot and I'm certain is way more gun than my personal skill level.

The game... If I had a game I would hunt for the heck of it, it would be mountain lion. I would try eatin it if I shoot it, but I have never heard of anyone making a meal out of mountian lion. But I would want skins for rugs and blankets. Same for bear. I'd eat it, but I want skins too. Primarily, I have no desire to hunt what I wont eat though, so gimme some elk, moose, and deer.

Back