• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'm on a Milsurp kick...

That gun looks very nice st1264.

That gun looks very nice st1264.

Thanks. I surprised myself in how nice it came out... just have to put the time in and clean er' up.

My Czech stock will look fantastic once I clean it up and sweat the cosmo out... UHG isn't very nice though. Glad I have a few spares coming, from Ebay.
VZ24%20Wood%20Stock0001_zpssemitnqi.jpg

Last edited:
My Yugo M48 has been cleaned of cosmoline, stock sweated of cosmo, stripped and (lightly sanded, keeping all flaws) re-oiled with BLO. Very happy with the results. Czech VZ24's cleaning rod and bayonet fit perfectly (and match too).
M48%20bayo0001_zpsr7i3j1w0.jpg
That's Gorgeous. Someone in a earlier post was slamming on Mosins, but I've got one that's in fantastic shape and has some really cool receiver and stock markings that I need to sweat the cosmo out of. What was your method?

Attachments

• 0104161101.jpg
    0104161101.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 3
  • 0104161102.jpg
    0104161102.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 0104161102b.jpg
    0104161102b.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 0104161105.jpg
    0104161105.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 3
That's Gorgeous. Someone in a earlier post was slamming on Mosins, but I've got one that's in fantastic shape and has some really cool receiver and stock markings that I need to sweat the cosmo out of. What was your method?

I bought a heat gun, let the cosmo bubble up and then wipe off with a rag. Very time consuming but it works well. Then I clean/degrease with TSP or if I'm going to refinish - furniture stripper.

My Yugo had a lot of dirt embedded in the stock, when I dragged a fingernail across it, black dirt came up all the time. Sweated cosmo out, degreased/cleaned, very lightly sanded (to open the pores) and re-oiled with BLO. Your Mosin is shellacked, if you are not refinishing, just sweat out the cosmo and be done with it.

I'm not that big on Mosins, but I really liked my Russian M44 I had.

Ah, ok.

In that case, I don't see how that is in any way considered slamming Mosin rifles. I read that as he's saying that it's good to see a surplus thread with posts on something else for a change. Nothing wrong with Mosin at all, I have a few myself. It's just refreshing to see some variety...

I really am ok with most firearms, everyone has a list.
Buddy of mine bagged a huge bull elk with one , its functional.....

Ah, ok.

In that case, I don't see how that is in any way considered slamming Mosin rifles. I read that as he's saying that it's good to see a surplus thread with posts on something else for a change. Nothing wrong with Mosin at all, I have a few myself. It's just refreshing to see some variety...

My apologies, guys. I believe my particular phrasing was poor and taken out of context. I never did feel like anyone was flat out bashing Mosins and saying they are bad guns. That was my poor attempt at cracking a joke. :oops: :D

I've never seen a Moisin close up, but I held a 1906 trapdoor Springfield in my hands the other day, at Uncle Sam's firearms.

With the bayonet. :eek:

It was an incredible feat of willpower which overcame me in that hour, as is evidenced by the fact that I do not own it now.

My apologies, guys. I believe my particular phrasing was poor and taken out of context. I never did feel like anyone was flat out bashing Mosins and saying they are bad guns. That was my poor attempt at cracking a joke. :oops: :D

No harm, no foul...

I had a Mosin, got rid of it... also had a 'shooter grade' Mosin M44 that was a mess when I got it, stock felt damp with cosmo, bolt was Chinese, spray paint on it, every inch was scratched, dented... the shipment was guesstimated to be out of Albania.
M44a0001_zpsad4ec28d.jpg

Cleaned it up, bore and bluing were like new. Stock was sweated of cosmo, sanded and refinished with the awful Polyshades in Antique Walnut (I was just learning at that time), still came out decent. Sold it for more than I bought it for. Wish I had kept it, but the safe gets full every now and again.
M44800x6000001_zps9a9ce138.jpg

SaleM44c0001_zps991da11f.jpg

SaleM44f0001_1_zps34dd0929.jpg

You never know what you have until you clean it up. That thing was absolutely filthy.

Back