• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'm so damn mad at my neighbors

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
They are right across the road from where our driveway enters. In the past, they had a Husky dog that ran away, never to be seen again. But facebook messages from the area reported small pets and small livestock had been attacked during the same time frame. I don't know where it ever ended up but it never came home.

Forward to this summer/early fall and they acquired another Husky. Now you all know that it is in their genes to want to get loose and run. Well, two weeks ago this one got loose and ran a short distance down the road and, for the second time in two months, it got into my sons chicken enclosure and killed more chickens. The first time was eight dead. The most recent time it was 13 chickens.

My son raises them to sell eggs and hatchlings so he derives an income off of them, plus his family benefits from the groceries (eggs).

Well, the neighbor got rid of it the very next day. Good.

And this morning what did I see in their yard on a chain by its doghouse?

Another f****g Husky dog.

I could bite nails right now. We raise poultry ourselves, and this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear, I "liked" your post because you posted it, not because the dogs are eatin' chickens. ;)

A friend of mine had a Husky since a pup, named KC. As KC got older, his brain went before his body. They found a couple dead cats in the yard over the years. One day a little girl is walking her little purebred (I forget the breed) dog by the house and KC walks out the open gate and up to the little dog, grabbing it and shaking it until it was dead! :eek: My friend had to shell out $800 for a new dog and the cops almost got involved. Needless to say, I'm sure the girl was traumatized. KC used to walk 2-3 miles to my friend's mom's house, one day they found him on the side of the road, dead. Probably for the better...

My daughter just started with chickens, having gotten 3 that lay eggs,but aren’t old, from a girlfriend. She and her husband converted a portion of their shed to a coop, built an enclosed outdoor “ run” and hopefully got everything outfitted. She has really been looking forward to the birds and a raised garden area, since they bought the place, and now with the money coming in, she is in heaven..

Can't be mad at the new dog. He was innocent of both prior instances.

But, set up a trail cam. If you see it killing chickens, get a paper trail started.

Unfortunate, but I don't necessarily blame the dog. I blame the neighbors.

That just sucks, depending on the laws in your area I'm guessing your son may be able to take them to small claims court for damages and lost income and maybe some mental distress at the loss of pets, and what ever covers unleashed dogs and damages?? But then you'll have bad blood with them win or loose. Personally me and my wife are animal lovers, at one point of our 29yrs together we have 4 dogs and one BAD ARS cat but they all ate together, now 2 dogs and 2 cats but I would have no issues putting holes in something threatening any of my family members no matter how many legs they have.

Can't be mad at the new dog. He was innocent of both prior instances.

Unfortunate, but I don't necessarily blame the dog. I blame the neighbors.

John,

My friend.

Did you read my thread title?

Of course I don't blame the new dog.

But I will admit that I had a very pleasant conversation with the neighbor about giving every new pet a chance, but that I will only be pushed "so far" if it gets loose like the other ones have and destroyed livestock.

I agree and I understand. I'd let them know I wouldn't be putting up with their crap either. I don't know anyone that wouldn't.

A "Radio Fence" works wonders, if you invest in the "stubborn dog" collars. They use true 9 volt transistor batteries in place of the standard wafer style watch batteries. Makes all the difference in the world. Now, if the other animal(s) comes inside their perimeter, that is a different story. Just saying. Take care. Tom Worthington

A "Radio Fence" works wonders, if you invest in the "stubborn dog" collars. They use true 9 volt transistor batteries in place of the standard wafer style watch batteries. Makes all the difference in the world. Now, if the other animal(s) comes inside their perimeter, that is a different story. Just saying. Take care. Tom Worthington

Nice suggestion, and appreciated.

But they are not the type to invest in such stuff. They smoke and drink a lot and entertain large parties so I don't think they want to dip into that important part of their budget :(

Nice suggestion, and appreciated.

But they are not the type to invest in such stuff. They smoke and drink a lot and entertain large parties so I don't think they want to dip into that important part of their budget :(

$215 is a big investment for them? https://www.radiofence.com/petsafe-stubborn-dog-underground-fence You can't get a couple of really expensive bottles of bourbon for that. :yum: But full disclosure, burying the wire is a pretty big job. Take care. Tom Worthington

$215 is a big investment for them? You can't get a couple of really expensive bottles of bourbon for that. :yum: But full disclosure, burying the wire is a pretty big job.

Or 20 bottles of bottom shelf... :D

Buddy of mine got into selling Invisible Fence when they first came out 25? years ago. He was working 16-18hrs a day trying to meet demand. I helped him rig up a roto-tiller to dig a slot and trail a wire into it off a spool. I think there was some kind of warranty if the dog was untrainable as some were. He would just go and gather up the transmitter and collars and leave the wire underground but some DHs would demand he remove the wire, as well. Many dogs knew how to "get past" the fence and it usually involved a full head of steam... ;)

Or 20 bottles of bottom shelf... :D

Buddy of mine got into selling Invisible Fence when they first came out 25? years ago. He was working 16-18hrs a day trying to meet demand. I helped him rig up a roto-tiller to dig a slot and trail a wire into it off a spool. I think there was some kind of warranty if the dog was untrainable as some were. He would just go and gather up the transmitter and collars and leave the wire underground but some DHs would demand he remove the wire, as well. Many dogs knew how to "get past" the fence and it usually involved a full head of steam... ;)

My dog was one of those. He knew he would be shocked, but he just took the hit and kept on going. That is, until I bought a "stubborn dog collar". The original collar used the kind of battery you might find in a watch. The stubborn dog collar used a full sized transistor radio style battery. The first time he charged at the fence with the stubborn dog collar on, I swear, that dog stopped in midair. :giggle: He never left the yard again. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back