• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Independence Day, July 4th

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
The Fourth of July—also known as Independence Day or July 4th—has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1941, but the tradition of Independence Day celebrations goes back to the 18th century and the American Revolution. On July 2nd, 1776, the Continental Congress voted in favor of independence, and two days later delegates from the 13 colonies adopted the Declaration of Independence, a historic document drafted by Thomas Jefferson. From 1776 to the present day, July 4th has been celebrated as the birth of American independence, with festivities ranging from fireworks, parades and concerts to more casual family gatherings and barbecues.

4th-of-july-photos.jpg

I wish a Happy Independence Day to you all! I will barbecue, on the Weber of course.

I love all the music, fireworks and festivities, but as per usual here, I will be home at night, soaking my trees down in case of stray rockets.

Every year the locals are shooting rockets from their yards and driveways. We’re having some very dry weather.

We live close enough (1/2mile) to the official local stadium display, that we will see and hear 99% of it from our back yard.

My dog will hide in the office to avoid the whole business.

I have two books like this. The other is signing their lives away, the men who signed the Declaration of Independence. I am at the lake and only had the book pictured with me.

Those men, our founding fathers, put everything on the line for the sake of liberty and freedom. They had lived under the rule of a king and state church. They were willing to lose everything, including their lives to live in a country free of a tyrannical government and to govern themselves.

Had the fledgling country lost the war those men would have been traitors and surely been hanged or spent the rest of their days imprisoned.

Many thanks to them and those that have sacrificed to honor and protect freedom and liberty since.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 0
Meany, your point is even stronger if you compare the signers to the politicians of today who, with very few exceptions, put themselves before the country and the people they "represent"!

These signers truly put their lives on the line back then.

Regards

I try to read the DoI to anyone that will listen. ;) There is even an app for that! :D But you should also be able to read pdfs on your phone so you can copy this pdf from the National Archives... :)

Attachments

• Declaration of Independence A Transcription National Archives.pdf
    73.1 KB · Views: 2
I think I listen to that song probably a half dozen times every year. It always gives me chills.

Have safe and meaningful Independence Day.

Back