• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Inspiring article the AR 15’s capabilities

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I fired 10 rounds of the MK262 first at the steel gong to make sure I was on, then refined my hold. After making hits I moved to the record paper target and fired. I fired 10 rounds and got 6 rounds in the target. All six rounds would be fatal. One was in the center circle “bullseye” and some in the lower groin. The rest of the rounds did not go in the black, but were so close they almost cut the outline of the target………
……….. If this does not seem special to you, remember, this is with a rack grade rifle, using rack grade sights using only a sling.

http://looserounds.com/2013/06/10/a...rack-grade-ar15-and-m855-make-1000-yard-hits/

There are many reasons why the AR15 has been the most popular selling rifle of the last decade.

Accuracy is one of the bigger selling points, modularity of being capable of changing calibers in a matter of seconds, ergonomics, etc. etc. etc.

yeah, I was impressed with the guy shooting it too. Cotton parade sling and irons that don't dial past 800 yards. A 6 o'clock hold is the only way because I would imagine the front post would cover the Empire State Building at 1000 yards. People are always spouting about 1000 yards.......just my recent adventures to 500 yards with my AR is confirmation that 1000 is so damn far that if a butterfly flaps its wings your not making the shot , I think a lot of people haven't a clue what that has to look like using iron peep sights.

I sure don't.

425 yards is my longest confirmed hit. And even at that, was not with irons (9x scope) and I wouldn't try to do it again. At least not with such a small target (lynx)

@John A. hitting a lynx at that distance with ONLY a 9 power scope is an achievement in my book. my Nikon P-223 showed up today and i started working on getting it dialed in. it has holds for 600 yards. but 200 is a challenge, so i cant even begin to imagine shooting accurately out to 600. i cant even try at the moment seeing as how the fields are planted.

I won't pull the trigger at 425 again.

Unless it was a whole different set of circumstances.

These days, I'm sticking with sub 250's and typically less than 100 if at all possible.

I'm not in the same league as anyone who gets to 500 or more. That's just not for me.

Living in the terrain that I do, I don't get long shots anyway.

Living in the terrain that I do, I don't get long shots anyway.
same here but you can make 1000+, you just have to get to the other side of drainages and shoot across draws. On the east side of the Cascades you can shoot as far as your rifle will make it. They don't make a rifle to run you out of space for out there

Very good read, thanks for posting this.

I'd love to have access to a range allowing shots over 100 yards.

you can come for a visit....I cant even begin to speculate the number of rounds shot in my life, probably less than 500 ever shot at a range. I recently bought a range membership because they opened up a historic military range for 600 yards. All the original target runners and everything. They had to temporarily close because of an insurance laps.....but as long as they get it fixed around September I'll be good, I have no issues with laying in the rain shooting, wind pisses me off though.....but I'll still shoot, while bitching about the wind lol

http://www.rvssa.org/600yd.html

http://www.rvssa.org/cplex.html

cool, I don't really have any experience under my belt to compare to......25 bucks a year I figure what the hell.
If there are too many people I'll just leave, that's the biggest pain when I have shot there for the day fee.
I live 10 minutes from it.

Thanks for the original post Oli. I have already forwarded it to several buddies. He's better than me at 300 yards with iron sites. I need a trip to the eye doctor and a bunch more practice lol.

Funny you mentioned going to the eye dr. I have an apt this Thursday. First eye exam I've had in about 5 years. Way over do. But you know how it is.

Yep...I have been procrastinating it for awhile but the thought of improving my shooting is tempting. 1000 yards on iron sites though, maybe when I was 20. I'll have to settle for 300 yards at the club I shoot at.

I hear that. one of the coolest things about having the scope is that it makes me feel like my eyes work like they used to. The red dot sacred me, looked like a radioactive tick.....but I just put that on the target and it hit

I shot 1000-yards when I was on a couple of US Army post rifle teams in my late 20s-early 30s. Earned a trophy or two I'm proud to say!

Used a National Match M14 and Lake City Match ammo. I would amuse myself trying that now. It is still fun to try 300-400 yard shots with the M1A and my 20" stainless heavy barrel AR.

Notice I chose to use the word "try"..........

Back