• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is atf coming after shockwave firearms?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I admit that sometimes, the youtuber does a few knee jerk videos, however, after listening to this as he reads through the document, would seem like they would be on thin ice.

I realize this doesn't mean jack squat as long as the atf has not published it to the federal register. Which is a week overdue from when they "leaked" this out.

On page 48 of the 293 page rule:

<<<<The NPRM explained that the proposed criteria and worksheet did not apply to
firearms commonly referred to as “pistol grip shotguns,” as they were never designed to
be held and fired using one hand (e.g., Mossberg Shockwave, Remington Tac-14).72 See

also 86 FR at 30828–29>>>

Last edited:
OK... I'm 4 minutes into this video, which is probably all I can take of this guy.

Yeah... if you put a brace / stock on the Shockwave, you've got a problem. I thought that we already knew that, and it was common knowledge.

But this does NOT mean they're "coming after the Shockwave." I quoted the rule in my previous comment above.

Don't put a brace on your Shockwave. File that under, "DUH."

I'm glad I sold several of my "questionable" firearms a year or two ago when I saw the handwriting on the wall.

I guess that makes me a FUDD.

Given the current political climate concerning firearms on both sides of the border, I wouldn't be taking anything for granted these days.

No @nitesite you're not a FUDD. I dumped a firearm that I knew was likely on the chopping block BEFORE it was next to worthless. Nothing wrong with trying to recoup an investment. Neither you or I are unarmed...far from it. As the political landscape changes there is nothing wrong with trying to keep ahead of those changes. Firearms are tools and they are symbolic too but they are also an investment. I don't have unlimited funds and I'd rather retain control over what's mine before some dufus politician comes along and tries to decree my property verboten.

I will say this though, that water crossings are perilous for firearms. And, it's likely my last firearms will suffer that same fate as many others. Have you seen how much ocean and how many lakes, rivers and creeks there are in my neck of the woods??? Baffles the mind how anyone can keep from losing their guns in the drink around here!

That's probably contributing to the rising waters in the ocean. They blame it on global warming but it's really politicians fault.

“Oh yes, your honor….I know all these guns are registered to someone else, but I didn’t actually buy them. I pulled them up out of the lake with a big magnet. Legal salvage.”

While it doesn't appear that mossberg is going to have issues themselves with this because they are selling them as they were approved with the grip only and have not marketed/sold any braced firearm models that I'm aware of.

Remington with the tac 14, and black aces tactical with rearward extensions, are going to be deemed short barreled shotguns, SBS, and nfa.

702706997973__44064.1575709861.jpg

iu

Further, anyone who has installed an aftermarket brace on a mossberg 590 shockwave afterwards, should also expect the same legal treatment.
iu

Came here to start a thread about this after reading over the ruling/FFL trainings, but looks like y'all have already covered most of it!

Not giving any legal advice and you should certainly verify this information before you make any decisions, but here are the major take-aways as they might affect us Shockwave owners:
1. To sum it up, “pistol braces” are now treated just like shoulder stocks for all weapons.
2. Short-barreled firearms like the 14” Shockwave are not affected by this ruling, as they were never covered under the original pistol brace ruling to begin with (that ruling applied to “pistols” only).
3. Essentially means that it has never been legal to install a pistol brace on a short-barreled “firearm” like the 14” Shockwave or TAC-14.
4. Anyone with a pistol brace on an unregistered 14” Shockwave, TAC-14, etc. is technically in possession of a Short-Barreled Shotgun and is (technically) committing a felony.
5. Since the original ruling never applied to weapons like the 14” Shockwave, “firearms” with Birds Head Grip aren’t affected by this latest ruling either; however the ATF are requiring the manufacturers of these “firearms” to resubmit their requests for reclassification.
6. There is “tax forbearance” period from now until 31 May where you can register a pistol-braced pistol and they will waiver the $200 tax stamp, however this DOES NOT apply to pistol-braced short-barreled firearms like the 14” Shockwave and TAC-14….you will need to follow the normal process and bear the normal costs.

Looks like we'll have to wait to see how they rule in the reclassification, but for now our boomsticks are safe...

Thank you for adding much of the text of the pertinent info DefenderTactical. I do appreciate you doing that, and the time it took you to do it. Like many, the last few weeks (years actually) have been very fluid and dynamic where the atf is concerned.

I really hope that some of the lawsuits against the atf/US Att. Gen being filed in Texas will have enough teeth to overturn this. I'm sure it'll be appealed regardless, but there's at least 3 lawsuits that were filed yesterday asking for injunction and more on the way from some other very big names too.

Heck, surprisingly enough, even the nra signed on in support of the SHORT act, which Ted Cruz in your area has also cosponsored, as well my Senator and others so far was submitted today. I'm hoping that it goes somewhere besides committee. I'm really tired of weak bills. It sure would be swell if Republicans would submit these bills when they have more than a snowball chance in hell of being passed and signed into law.

Give it some time to work through the courts (which will be well past the scary deadline) - sometimes you guys crack me up as if millions of people with braced pistols are just lining up to register them or destroy them? because the ATF reclassified something that has been legal for over half a decade and made a new rule, and they trucked in Mr. smashed peas before his 2PM nap to yell at the clouds on tv about it? Its backdoor registration, completely out of bounds, and will likely get struck down just like the 'reclassification' of stripped receivers was -

Oh and by the way, not that I liked them at all, but the 'bump stock ban' was tossed out by the 5th circuit court just recently as well - there are multiple millions more braces out there 'in common use' than there ever were bump stocks - and no, quid pro quo by saying 'but but but you'll be able to make an SBR without a tax stamp' is not a good defense of the reclassification of braces, IMO

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, not that I liked them at all, but the 'bump stock ban' was tossed out by the 5th circuit court just recently as well...

This was total knee-jerk by Trumpy and made me lose a good amount of respect for him. He would have been a much better President if he had told the liberal cunts to fark off not only on bumpys but on CV, as well. There is absolutely NO appeasing of those who will NEVER be appeased. All they deserve for their bitching are two middle fingers in their face...

And speaking of knee JERKS, Sen. Cunt Scott, then gubna, did the same in FL after the MSD/Parkland shooting...

Give it some time to work through the courts (which will be well past the scary deadline) - sometimes you guys crack me up as if millions of people with braced pistols are just lining up to register them or destroy them? because the ATF reclassified something that has been legal for over half a decade and made a new rule, and they trucked in Mr. smashed peas before his 2PM nap to yell at the clouds on tv about it? Its backdoor registration, completely out of bounds, and will likely get struck down just like the 'reclassification' of stripped receivers was -

Oh and by the way, not that I liked them at all, but the 'bump stock ban' was tossed out by the 5th circuit court just recently as well - there are multiple millions more braces out there 'in common use' than there ever were bump stocks - and no, quid pro quo by saying 'but but but you'll be able to make an SBR without a tax stamp' is not a good defense of the reclassification of braces, IMO
Your arguments are both rational and reasonable. But remember, America's enemies are in charge now so there's no telling what they will do.

Now? America's enemies have been in charge since well before America First was a mindset - the entire swamp is the enemy and they will fight like hell to stay in power, if Arizona, and November of '20, and this past November are any indication

Our Government:

A tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury but signifying nothing.

(Appologies to Wm. S.)

If your Shockwave has a brace on it, that's an illegal combo, because it was ATF approved to have a Birdshead grip, not a brace.

Here is a screen shot of the pertinent section of the brace rule covering smooth bore firearms. NOTE the term smoothbore firearm. The Shockwave, Tac13/14, and similar are smoothbore firearms since they do not meet the legal definition of a shotgun.

FC P47 Shockwave.png

As stated, these are not pistols since they are smooth bores. And the original design was to be fired using two hands without a shoulder stock, So they also do NOT meet the definition of a shotgun either.

As noted in the brace rule, smoothbore firearms do not qualify for the tax free Form 1 since they are not pistols. Also stated in the rule; a smoothbore firearm with a brace attached is now considered a SBS - short barreled shotgun, and is regulated by the 1934 NFA. A smoothbore firearm with brace attached in now illegal to possess since Jan 31 2023 unless it is registered as a SBS.

These smoothbore firearms are still 100% legal when in the original configuration as they left the factory as long as they have the birds head grip and the overall length is at least 26".

PS: I don't watch old Chicken Little from G&G since he definitely hypes and sensationalizes everything.

As noted in the brace rule, smoothbore firearms do not qualify for the tax free Form 1 since they are not pistols. Also stated in the rule; a smoothbore firearm with a brace attached is now considered a SBS - short barreled shotgun, and is regulated by the 1934 NFA. A smoothbore firearm with brace attached in now illegal to possess since Jan 31 2023 unless it is registered as a SBS.

These smoothbore firearms are still 100% legal when in the original configuration as they left the factory as long as they have the birds head grip and the overall length is at least 26".

They're literally saying the same exact thing calling pistols rifles now because of the brace.

Logically and technically, it's the same exact thing as reclassifying firearms as short barrel shotguns if they had a brace, yet they are not treating them the equally under color of the law.

Back