• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is the 930 SPX "drop safe" ?

I've read where people make statements in general about HD shotguns that they're not drop-safe like most handguns, and dropping a loaded SG may result in a discharge. So the recomendation is often that it sits with an empty chamber until needed, and part of getting it into action would entail pulling the bolt back/loading a shell.

Is that true of the 930 SPX?

Also - how does the safety on the 930 affect the firing mechanism, ie does it simply inactivate the trigger? or does the safety make it impossible for the firing pin to go forward?

And, does "ghost loading" a 930 create a less safe condition?

I don't consider ANY gun drop safe.

The thing with being "drop safe", they will only ever be as safe as a man made part, or group of man made parts. Whether it's a mechanical hammer/sear/safety combination, or more along the lines of a striker method means very little to me.

Even guns that have "multiple" safeties, I would not trust my life to stand in front of any of them while they're being dropped in my general direction.

And just for an example, an AR15/M16 has what is considered to be a floating firing pin, which strikes the primer every time you chamber a round hard enough that it will leave visible dimples in the primer.

Are they known for having slam fires?

Nope.

But still doesn't change the fact that any gun can have a negligent/accidental discharge.

Plain and simple, the best safety is never point it at or near something you don't want to blow up. And if there is not a round in the chamber, even better.

+1 on what John A. has pointed out...

...and Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum C0untZer0 !!

I also agree with John. I have practiced "ghost loading" until I got the procedure down pat but I don't think I will use it. Seems like it is too dangerous for me as my SPX is for HD and I may be using it in the middle of the night. Just my thought on the matter.

How does the safety on the 930 affect the firing mechanism, ie does it simply inactivate the trigger? or does the safety make it impossible for the firing pin to go forward?

I keep my 930 SPX ghost loaded and feel safe with this setup because the actual chamber of the weapon is empty and the bolt is closed, the ghost round is merely resting on the elevator. You actually have to chamber the round in order to fire it. As for being drop safe, I feel that no weapon is 100% drop safe. Manufacturers have went to significant lengths to reduce the chance of an accidental discharge, but it is still a risk I feel.
Lots of handling and practice with your weapon will reduce the chances you will drop it because of familiarity. If you are clearing a room, keeping your elbows tucked in, especially when going through the door, will minimize the chance of hitting your funny bone and potentially dropping the weapon. Having and utilizing a sling will minimize the chances of dropping the weapon. Having the weapon secured properly when not using it will minimize the chance of it tipping over and discharging, should you choose to keep it in condition red with a round in the chamber.
A quick story along the topic of the thread. When I worked as a bodyman in my Dad's bodyshop, the county Sheriff brought his issue vehicle in for repair. He had a loaded Remmy 870 in the trunk and was involved in a pursuit that resulted in an accidental discharge of the weapon in the trunk. He said that when he went over the hump at an intersection, he got a little air and when the car came down he heard and felt a bang. He figured he bottomed out so he kept going till the end of the pursuit. When he inspected the car, the right rear quarter panel was blown outward with a 12 gauge hole in it. Further inspection showed the discharged shotgun. Fortunately he was in a sparsley populated area and there were no houses around when the weapon discharged.

Back