• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is the Mag tube replaceable?

I just picked up a 500a for $175 but the mag tube looks like someone took a hammer to it. Is the mag tube replaceable? If it is, can I replace it, or does a gunsmith need to replace it? Can I use a 7 round or will it have to be a 5 round? I think Buba was working on it.

I just picked up a 500a for $175 but the mag tube looks like someone took a hammer to it. Is the mag tube replaceable? If it is, can I replace it, or does a gunsmith need to replace it? Can I use a 7 round or will it have to be a 5 round? I think Buba was working on it.
Yes it is replaceable. Do you know how old the gun is? If not post the first few letters and numbers of the serial number.
To use a 7 round tube you will need to change the barrel also.
You will need to use some heat on the receiver where the tube threads into the receiver, (Mossberg uses LocTite).
Keep us posted.

Remove the barrel then apply heat on the receiver around the tube on all sides with a heat gun. Be patient and heat both sides for a couple minutes. Then use a rubber strap wrench on the tube 2"-3" from the receiver so it doesn't get scorched--the tube should unscrew right out. Clean any old Loctite from the threads in the receiver. The replacement tube should screw right in and use the strap wrench to snug it in. Many people do not re-apply Loctite when installing the tube but inspect it to make sure it is not unscrewing when at the range. I'll put a drop of Loctite blue on the threads which usually does the trick for me...

Serial number: L168XXX. It has light colored wood stocks, barrel has screw in chock and a vent rib. I now have to go to Harbor freight for a heat gun. Where is a good place to buy a new 7 round mag tube and a 20" barrel either heavy or standard. Do they make a 20" with a screw in choke? I wanted a 590a1 but finding one around Indianapolis is like finding hens teeth.

The 20” barrel/7 shot tube is found on the “tactical” model and is not threaded for chokes, if I remember correctly. I believe you have to use the 5 shot tube with a 24”/28” barrel if you want threading.

You might check EBay or Gunbroker to see if someone is selling parted-out guns, otherwise the only place I know of to get parts is Mossberg.

Serial number: L168XXX. It has light colored wood stocks, barrel has screw in chock and a vent rib. I now have to go to Harbor freight for a heat gun. Where is a good place to buy a new 7 round mag tube and a 20" barrel either heavy or standard. Do they make a 20" with a screw in choke? I wanted a 590a1 but finding one around Indianapolis is like finding hens teeth.
Looks like you have a 1993 shotgun.
Is your mag tube usable?
You can try a hair dryer for the heat. (Worked for me.)
I would give Havlin sales a call. (636) 937-6401

Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

I would recommend you repair your mag tube at this stage of the game as 500 parts are on the scarce side and demand a premium. A metal shop may be able to internally swage/expand it round again so it functions properly. PPS: you will still have to get it out without destroying it.

You might be able to find just a tube and that would be the least expensive solution if you can't straighten your old one. You can re-use the spring and follower if you can get them out. There are short and long tubes. Short works with with 18", 24", 28" etc barrels. Long (7rd) works with the 20" barrel (only). There are some oddball longer barrels for the long tube that come up once in a while but are very rare.

Looking on debay for barrels, it appears you will pay more than you paid for the gun to get a 20" barrel/magtube setup.

UPDATE: just go to Midway and buy a new tube... :) LINK

PS: Midway calls it a 6rd tube but it is 5+1 just as the 8rd tube is 7+1. You say tomato, I say tomato... ;)

Can my barrel be cut down and rethearded for chokes? If cut down to 18.5" to 20", any idea what the barrel choke would be? Would it be hard to add a rifle type sight on it?

Back