• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I've been waiting 25 years for this BIG MOMENT tomorrow

I knew when rip mentioned keywords and not giving it away that he'd be correct.

oli700 was right as well but for the stock color!

Good job, guys!

It was actually pretty easy. You posted this topic in "Long Guns" so that narrows it down...(silly AK...1911? In long guns? Lol) At first I thought of a handi rifle...then the marlin lever action...and there wasnt much info from you saying you "Wanted it!"...So then I put in Springfield...and bakkow! There it was. Because really...who doesnt want one of those?

Oh...and a heartfelt WAHOOOOOO ! To ya. Congradulations on having 2 keepers... ;)

ripjack13 said:
Congradulations on having 2 keepers... ;)
My sentiments exactly. Both are keepers!!!

Rip is the detective of the Forum!
Great Sleuthing!!

MikeD said:
....... I would love to see some more pics of that M1A!!!!

Well, here you go!

The bride and I took a road trip to Anniston, AL today to visit the the CMP Store where I picked up two clean surplus USGI M14 wood stocks for just $35 each with all the metal. So now I have an all-weather synthetic stock, and one USGI stock will be a real beater, and I'll probably get around to refinishing the other one in BLO or something for looks. They have really great grain patterns in both of them.

I saw at the CMP Store racks and racks of M1 Garands in all grades from $525 up to $3,000. They have Kimber .22LR Match Rifles (much like Anchutz) with small freckles of rust on the barrels for $425 each. I remember when the CMP sold rack grade M1 Garands for like $175 but those days are sure gone!

The M14 stocks have a hole for the happy switch but I really couldn't care less about that. I'm not subjecting it to an amphibious beach landing or anything that might muck up the action.

And this rifle seems like it's capable of shooting pretty well. Over the weekend I went to a public range (which was PACKED) and started to zero the sights. It was incredibly hot and I had to wait forever for a bench and one finally opened up at the 50-yard range. I didn't shoot but three 3-shot groups and this photo is of the best. It took me almost half an hour to shoot nine rounds because of cease fires and other shit. I was ready to just go home even though I've waited forever to shoot my very own M1A. The "best" shooting results: about 1/2" inch with irons at fifty shooting cheap Prvi Partisan 168-gr BTHP.

So there you go.... some more photos and a brief little mention of a range report! :lol:

(It looks pretty good in wood, doesn't it?)

Loos like a great start Nitesite! Nice pics too. I'd go with the wood stock too...looking good.

You are the man ! love the rifle !......and the target is good too.

Rip you were first after me.....and I proved my guess.

I'm drooling, that's all I can say! The wood stock really makes these Battle Rifles complete! Pretty respectable group as well!

Does anyone else think Nitesite has a smile that can't be wiped off his face?

carbinemike said:
Does anyone else think Nitesite has a smile that can't be wiped off his face?

I think it's found a permanent place right next to him in bed... pillow talk might be a little one sided though ;)

Nitesite, I have been meaning to ask about your Springfield. The Mike D and Oli AR updates reminded me. Have you done anything with the stocks? More importantly, have you been able to get it out very much?

Yeah, those Modern Musket threads have been incredible fo follow. They are just amazing and I've learned a LOT from them.

carbinemike, I did put a USGI wood stock on it that I got from the CMP South store in Anniston, AL. Believe it or not, my plans for refinishing this one won't happen. If I want to lay this rifle down on rough concrete or rocks well I can just go right ahead and do so! I did buy a second stock when I was there which I may one day strip and refinish, but for now I'm just storing it. Both stocks were already glass bedded by a military armory and they fit really snug, which along with my Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads are shooting into 0.75" at 50-yards with irons.

I shot it this summer as often as I could, but after last months vacation and then working almost non-stop since I got back it left me with precious little free time. The rifle is such a pussycat to shoot, almost no recoil. Now my schedule is back to normal and the murderous heat of summer is past and autumn is in full swing so it's going to go out a LOT more often.

I bought a beautiful stock set from a friend here that is going to go on my 590 and I'll take a pic of my work guns (a 1911, an M1A and a shotgun) all with wood furniture. They'll all look pretty retro compared to todays modern black guns!

I need to move to a free state already. Congrats buddy. That's an awesome rifle!

That is a beautiful rifle. I just found this thread. I really like the wood better. I wish I lived in a free state, but I could not buy that here now.

I am glad you got your dream gun. It was a good dream. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Back