• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just bought a used 30-06 and the bolt falls out in my hand!

4x43006newbie

Copper BB
So I bought a used 4x4 30.06 last night, got it home and started looking harder at it and found that the bolt does not stay in. I can't seem to find the bolt release lever and from looking around on the boards and other forums this seems to be a problem with these guns. This is my first Mossberg rifle and I am a little concerned. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions as to how I might solve this. Would like to use it for hunting this fall.

Thanks

Re: Just bought a used 30-06 and the bolt falls out in my ha

I know there is a release, although I don't have the gun right now to check where it is. I think it's on the left side of the action though. The bolt should not just fall out of the gun...

Welcome aboard.

Did you buy this rifle from a gun store or from an individual? If from a gun store, I would march the thing back in there and have them send it in for repair on their dime or refund your money. If from an individual it could be a bit more complicated, but I would contact them with your issue and ask the same of them. If neither option is viable, then you can contact Mossberg customer service/tech support yourself...

800-363-3555

We also have a direct contact at Mossberg that should be able to help...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Either way it definitely needs repair before you attempt to fire it. Last thing you need is a bolt sticking out of your forehead. Good luck and keep us posted...

Thanks guys - Just to clarify, you think the gun is unsafe to fire? The bolt closes and stays in place, it is only when I open it and pull back that it comes out. I was thinking I could use it as a single shot but now I am unsure.

The bolt lock is in place to prevent it from shooting back into your face when you fire.

I would not under any circumstances fire the weapon in its current condition. Doing so could cause serious injury or death...

Ok then, no firing is the word. Now, just because I am who I am, help me out. I have never in my life had a bolt open when I fired the gun. What about the 4x4 would cause it to open when it was fired? (Last question I promise!)

Chances are it might never happen.

Still, if one of the safety features on the rifle is malfunctioning it's not worth the risk...

4x43006newbie said:
Ok then, no firing is the word. Now, just because I am who I am, help me out. I have never in my life had a bolt open when I fired the gun. What about the 4x4 would cause it to open when it was fired? (Last question I promise!)

I've never heard of it happening, but I wouldn't take that chance on being the first one to come back and tell me it did...

Just a follow up note, Joe from Mossberg is Fed-Ex'ing me a new lever and screw, NO COST! That is what I call customer service! I will try to remember to follow up when it is installed and I have shot it. Can't wait...

Thanks for the feedback guys

4x43006newbie said:
Just a follow up note, Joe from Mossberg is Fed-Ex'ing me a new lever and screw, NO COST! That is what I call customer service! I will try to remember to follow up when it is installed and I have shot it. Can't wait...

Awesome!!! Glad they can through for you. Be sure to let us know if that resolves the issue.

Another point for Joe and Mossberg CS. :D

4x43006newbie said:

That's very good! Let us know how she shoots!

Assuming the bolt is properly assembled with the black pin that holds the head to the tube, it should be entirely safe to fire without the rear bolt stop. Just don't yank the bolt back into your face after you fire! :p That bolt stop lever does nothing until the bolt is pulled back against it. The lugs on the front of the bolt are what hold the bolt in when the gun is fired.

Back