• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Largest Mass Shooting in Canadian History - The renewed gun control battle begins...

cmcdonald

Boating Accident Victim
Staff member
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
https://london.ctvnews.ca/flags-lowered-in-honour-of-nova-scotia-shooting-victims-1.4903870

The above article states 18 killed but apparently that number has been updated to 22.

My biggest problem with all this besides the obvious carnage and death of innocents...the media are jumping all over this like hounds. The police (to my knowledge) at this time have not even revealed what type(s) of weapons were used. They have refused to say whether legal or illegal weapons were involved and even if this psycho was a licensed gun owner to start with. Then there is the M.O. here, the psycho was wearing an RCMP uniform of some fashion and had mocked up a cruiser to boot...talk about bizarre.

Word on the street is that there is possibly an RCMP member in his family. Also, hearing unconfirmed reports that he beat several people to death while on his rampage of shooting and burning. Someone even alluded that he may have pulled several people over with his cruiser and executed them...I can't say for sure. It will be sometime before all the details come out.

Anyway, given there are at least 16 crime scenes that I'm aware of, I understand the slow role out of information as there must be volumes to be sorted already. I truly hope this sick, sick SOB was not a licensed gun owner and hope he obtained his arms illegally....I pray it's not the other way around.

This is going to be a pivotal moment in our gun control history here.....I am very nervous.

A few days ago I would have said I think we're in the clear this time around due to Covid-19...saved by the bell so to speak. But not now....not at all.

Edit: for clarity.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that the folks were not alerted to the ongoing situation and threat (atleast tthat's what the article say) and that they either didn't have weapons to protect themselves or they were unwilling or untrained in using them.

Unfortuantly, many folks still believe the government or local law enforcement will be on their doorstep with the SWAT team in two to three minutes. Just not true especially in a rural setting like this.

Bless our Canadian brothers and sisters!

Regards

Thank you Ernst.

Agreed, it is very unfortunate on both points. And we are breeding a society dependent on the government, in fact we are into several generations of that thinking already. I have always been and continue to be a supporter of law enforcement in general; but I and many others have grave concerns about a 12 hour long rampage....impersonating an officer or not...it's a very troubling turn of events.

And yes, people are generally untrained in the use of firearms here, by that I mean tactical and use of force training. Most are hunters and casual or sport shooters. In this case, there could have been and likely were those that were armed and ready to use them but were basically "disarmed" or duped by the uniform and wouldn't dare fire on a police officer. And, by then it was too late. But I'm guessing here.

From my uneducated position, I can't help but wonder why our national police force (equiv in function to the FBI & state police forces combined) apparently did not have the training nor the ability to recognize what was happening and get it under control faster. We are 19 years post 9/11...19 years post domestic terrorism ground zero for this continent. So again, from my uneducated position, I wonder why our national police force was so obviously unprepared to neutralize an officer impersonation plot. And that very scenario played out for far too many hours resulting in so much death and carnage.

cmc, you certainly don't have a "corner on the market" of people who feel the government will take care of them. We live in a rural setting and many folks tend to fall into the same mind sets. Despite the reality that our law enforcemrnt response is typically 30 to 45 minutes we have folks who continue to believe if anything happens all they need to do is dial 911 and the government will take care of them.

We have others who keep weapons because they are hunters or skeet shooters but, like you said, don't have the proper training and have never practice tactics. I'm sure many of these have their guns locked up and if it's not hunting season never take them out. Most of these folks won't even possess the right ammunition for home or property defense. But this group is shrinking because most of our younger folks have no interest in hunting (or fishing) . Probably doesn't fit their life style.

And finally we have a smaller number of folks, mostly ex military, who both embrace and practice situational awareness and defensive tactics. Unfortuantly, we have some others around who look down of these folks and complain about the noise we make when shooting on our own property. And our biggest threats are not the two legged ones. We have black bears, mountain lions, bobcats and coyotes.

We've developed a nanny state with a majority of the folks subservient to the government vice the government serving the people.

Think you might find this video below interesting. It's a recent discussion between David Icke and Brian Rose of London Real.

Again, our heart goes out to your Canadian brother and sisters. Just hope there is some truthful accounting of this horrible situation. Certainly won't come from the media or the politicians which will use it to support their agenda. Neither, in my opinion, are truly interested in us!

Last edited:
Information from authorities about this psycho is very slowly coming out. That is normal when the perp is not a licensed gun owner. So I was praying it would be so again this time...and that was revealed to be true late yesterday.

Slow release of info usually means there’s nothing there that fits the chosen gov’t narrative. What most gun control nuts miss altogether is the fact that this not only doesn’t fit their narrative....it outright shows how ineffective and what a failure gun control really is.

You can’t legislate crazy...but that’s lost on those crazy people who write gun control laws.

cmc, we're not seeing much coverage in the states which also supports your theory that the facts don't support the anti crowd's agenda!

The one thing that seems very strange was the lack of official emergency notification to the people across these communities. Especially given the length of the manhunt. Have authorities indicated any reason for not notifying folks?

Heard something from some politician regarding use of assault weapon but have not seen any official reports.

Regards

The RCMP are trying hard to deny their obvious missteps in this awful situation. They are maintaining that putting out some info on Twitter in a rural community was sufficient...yeah...nope. I saw the news conference where the Chief Superintendent was making his defense, he looked super uncomfortable. But that's what happens when you try to defend the indefensible. Other details, like officers opening fire on a firehall when the suspect was long gone from the area are giving this a serious Keystone Cops kinda feel.

What a $h*tshow....

It matters not what type of firearms were used.

The media are controlled by deep pockets of powerful world leaders and those wealthy behind them. They lie. And are happy to whore themselves out for a quick buck to tell whatever story the rich and powerful want told.

I haven't heard anything about this, but my prayers for the family for those who have lost loved ones.

It matters not what type of firearms were used.

The media are controlled by deep pockets of powerful world leaders and those wealthy behind them. They lie. And are happy to whore themselves out for a quick buck to tell whatever story the rich and powerful want told.

I haven't heard anything about this, but my prayers for the family for those who have lost loved ones.
Very true John. There are just some particulars in law here that make the type of weapon (pistol or restricted black rifle) more pertinent to the discussion. However, without a license all firearms are prohibited in Canada with few exceptions for antiques.

The overarching point that you also mention has to do with (I believe) an allegiance to the UN and their own declaration of war on civilian gun ownership.

Multiple headlines across the country over the last 24 hours or so...brace for it kids...here it comes.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6887958/canada-assault-rifle-ban/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...n-to-target-ar-15-and-the-weapon-used-during/

Excerpt from the above Globe and Mail article:

"Along with the Ruger Mini-14, the government will ban the AR-15 and similar types of firearms that have been used in a number of mass shootings in the United States, officials said. They added that the ban will also include the CZ Scorpion, the Swiss Arms Classic Green, the Beretta Cx4 Storm, the Robinson Armament XCR and the Sig Sauer SIG MCX, among others, as well as firearms that use the same platforms.

The Globe and Mail is not disclosing the names of the officials because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pledged to act on gun control in the aftermath of the worst mass shooting in Canadian history, in which a gunman killed 22 people on April 18 and 19 in Nova Scotia."

I've given this thread a sticky.

This is a major setback for firearms owners and firearms businesses. Right in the middle of a bloody pandemic, when so many small to medium size businesses are barely able to tread water...they will likely hammer in the final coffin nail for some of these honest, hard working people. They are about to deal a severe blow the gun industry here...right across the board. From importers, manufacturers, to gun ranges, sport shooters to retailers and wholesalers. The ripple affect will be felt far and wide.

I've heard it's coming tmrw...we will see. I'm feeling sick.........

Mac, I hope that Canadians will come to their senses and protest such infringements. I feel for my Canadian brothers and sisters. :( What is happening is genuinely "bad" for ANY civilized society IMO.

That said, I have heard NOTHING about the massacre in the news down here in FL. I'm not discounting your plight by ANY means, but the limited news I have been paying attention to has not mentioned it that I've noticed.

Gun and ammo sales here in the US are especially brisk. I'm hoping this is patriots coming to their senses over the BENEFITS of being armed in questionable (and/or ANY) times. An armed society is a polite society.

But just like Canuckistan, all it will take is a mass shooting to bring it back to the forefront again. Angst is heavy here, and people want to get back to life as it was. One person "snapping" could complicate it for the rest of us... :(

Here's some info I saw this morning. Politicians let no crisis, no matter how unrelated, go to waste!

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair has drawn up a list of firearms that he is recommending be banned in Canada and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is now reviewing that list, sources said. Trudeau's final approval could come any day now, according to the French-language division of CBC.

According to a document obtained by Radio-Canada, the list includes:

M16, M4, AR-10 and AR-15 rifles. Those styles were used in the Sandy Hook, New Zealand, Las Vegas and Orlando mass shootings. There are an estimated 83,572 in Canada.
Ruger Mini-14s, the type of firearm used in the École Polytechnique shooting. There are an estimated 16,859 in Canada.
Swiss Arms Classic Green carbines. There are an estimated 1,342 in Canada.
M14 rifles, used in the Moncton shooting. There are an estimated 5,229 in Canada.
Vz. 58 semi-automatic rifles, used in the Quebec City mosque shooting. There are an estimated 11,593 in Canada.
CZ Scorpion EVO 3 carbines. There are an estimated 1,813 in Canada.
Beretta CX4 Storm carbines, the type of firearm used in the Dawson College shooting. There are an estimated 1,513 in Canada.
Sig Sauer MCX and Sig MPX carbines and pistols. There are an estimated 1,000 in Canada.
Robinson Arms XCR rifles. There are an estimated 1,834 in Canada.
The list also includes two categories of firearms the government hopes to ban:

Firearms with a calibre (gun barrel diameter) of more than 20 mm. For example, a grenade launcher.
Firearms capable of producing muzzle energy of more than 10,000 joules.
The list does not include handguns. Blair has said the government will legislate new powers for municipalities to enact their own restrictions on handguns.

If enacted, the bans would be imposed through an order-in-council — a cabinet decree — not legislation, sources said. Parliament's attention is entirely on the pandemic right now. The government could still introduce gun control legislation down the line when the current limits on parliamentary work are lifted.

It's been a really bad day. Had a big post planned, then scrapped it. I've written a few more emails and signed a few more petitions.

It's hard to not get demoralized by something like this. However, I know it's not irreversible...so there's always hope. The next election is over 3 years away yet and I can see trouble brewing for our Conservative Party...we're suffering weak leadership right now and a pandemic to boot. The timing is purely opportunistic. Play on peoples emotions and kick the other guys while they're down.

Our only hope right now is that there will be a groundswell of support in the backrooms of the Conservative party and MP's start making some serious noise. The current Conservative party leader, Andrew Scheer couldn't even be bothered to get dressed and get his butt in front of a tv camera...he published a written statement critical of the government's firearms ban . That's it. They've had months to prepare for this...and at least more than 24 hours warning that it was coming and that's all we get? He "mailed" in his objection? I can hardly believe it. Dude needs to go...NOW. Him and Turdo can both take a long walk off a short pier........

The link below lists the "banned" guns. Given the extensive length of the list does anyone really think this action was a "result" of the recent shooting? The anti folks must have spent countless hours and days compiling this detailed list and just waiting for the right moment (cause) to unveil it overnight without even a hint of public or political debate.

Three interesting things being kept quite. Atleast not reported in the U.S.

1. The mental state of the criminal and what set him off. Hints regarding fight with girlfriend?

2. Why the police didn't warn the public? This incident lasted, according to reports, over 14 hours!

3. List of weapons used plus the fact that several folks apparently died as the result of house fires not gunshots?

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news...TarWGsRk1rv-Qltqjnn_x1jnBrJNwgPlliBWHQEewBgnc

It's been a really bad day. Had a big post planned, then scrapped it. I've written a few more emails and signed a few more petitions.

It's hard to not get demoralized by something like this. However, I know it's not irreversible...so there's always hope. The next election is over 3 years away yet and I can see trouble brewing for our Conservative Party...we're suffering weak leadership right now and a pandemic to boot. The timing is purely opportunistic. Play on peoples emotions and kick the other guys while they're down.

Our only hope right now is that there will be a groundswell of support in the backrooms of the Conservative party and MP's start making some serious noise. The current Conservative party leader, Andrew Scheer couldn't even be bothered to get dressed and get his butt in front of a tv camera...he published a written statement critical of the government's firearms ban . That's it. They've had months to prepare for this...and at least more than 24 hours warning that it was coming and that's all we get? He "mailed" in his objection? I can hardly believe it. Dude needs to go...NOW. Him and Turdo can both take a long walk off a short pier........

because he was complicit with it. Same with our Conservative party in the USA. Got more gun control with Trump than with Obama. 2 gun bills that made it to the senate controlled by the republicans that would have given CCW reciprocity and de classed suppressors died in the senate.

The link below lists the "banned" guns. Given the extensive length of the list does anyone really think this action was a "result" of the recent shooting? The anti folks must have spent countless hours and days compiling this detailed list and just waiting for the right moment (cause) to unveil it overnight without even a hint of public or political debate.

Three interesting things being kept quite. Atleast not reported in the U.S.

1. The mental state of the criminal and what set him off. Hints regarding fight with girlfriend?

2. Why the police didn't warn the public? This incident lasted, according to reports, over 14 hours!

3. List of weapons used plus the fact that several folks apparently died as the result of house fires not gunshots?

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news...TarWGsRk1rv-Qltqjnn_x1jnBrJNwgPlliBWHQEewBgnc
@Ernst Regarding point 1, 2 & 3....the RCMP tend to keep things quiet during an investigation and will only release non-compromising info both for themselves and the investigation itself. There was all kinds weirdness in this latest tragedy and yes an abnormally long timeline considering the swath of destruction this nutter was able to inflict. Certain parts may never be fully known until an ATIP request is made and answered and that can take ages.

Regarding the first part of your post...Most of us that have been tuned in to gun control proposals and what the anti's are pushing for have known or at least guessed that most of these guns were on the potential chopping block given the wrong people in power and the right circumstances presented themselves. That said, most of the list is really just regurgitation...it's just naming all the various manufacturers and models of the few actual platforms they've targeted. I was a bit taken aback that they went for the 50 cals (anything over 10,000 joules of muzzle energy) but then again nothing truly surprises me with this stuff anymore.

There are always gullible people who refuse to see what is plainly before their eyes...and that is the politicians playing them like a fiddle. This list has indeed been in the works for months or even years...these guys are into their 5th year of governing now so they've had lots of time to compile a detailed list. They just needed the right moment to play on the public's sense of grief and outrage and a need for "justice"....albeit at someone else's expense but hey, that's how we roll today...as long as it doesn't affect me and we get the desired effect then it's okay or maybe even great.

because he was complicit with it. Same with our Conservative party in the USA. Got more gun control with Trump than with Obama. 2 gun bills that made it to the senate controlled by the republicans that would have given CCW reciprocity and de classed suppressors died in the senate.
You know @Water Monkey, I totally agree. Complicit whether by purpose or lack of representation...indeed you are correct.

I'm afraid at the number people I see and hear these days screaming to have their liberty stripped from them...it is insanity. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone sometimes. I shudder to think if this type of mentality keeps increasing, where we will be in another 30 years. It's almost like they'd prefer the sound of boots marching on their streets...to make them feel safer??? It'll be safer when no one has anything left to steal. It'll suck though cuz you're starving and cold and you have no money for food and heat...that is until you're allowed to go line up for bread like the Soviets did for decades. Cold comfort that is.......................

Mac, referring to various online stats, Canada's population is about 11% of the US's population (2018). Ernst's stats list 84,000ish AR-15s & variants estimated in Canada. The NSSF lists an estimated 5-10 million "AR-15" variants in private ownership in the US. I DOUBT this includes the "80%" arms being built by the thousands every day. So we are "awash" in "military" style rifles some would say. :rolleyes: NSSF say 300 million firearms in total (est.) So mathing it up, if the US had a "conservative" AR ratio compared to Canada (ie: 5mil x .11) that would put us at 550k ARs compared to 84k in Canada. That is about a 15% AR ownership ratio Can vs US if I got my math correct.

Point I'm trying to make is if Canadian Patriots need America's Rifle to assure liberty, we have plenty to spare! ;) Just don't give up your FALs because those are relatively scarce here! :D

Patriots I know in Alberta are ready to revolt so try to keep your hopes up! :)

Back