• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Last Shell will not chamber

Jordan Watson

Copper BB
Just got a 20" 88. When I load the tube to the max, every shell cycles fine until the last one. It appears the elevator does not go down enough and therefore doesn't release the cartridge stop. Because the elevator doesn't go down all the way, the shell coming from the chamber doesn't eject fully since the port is partially blocked.

Why would the stop work fine through all the shells except the last one in the tube. I can get it to chamber but only by bracing the stock against something, gripping the slide with both hands, and racking it as hard as I can.

With the naked eye, I don't see that the cartridge stop is sticking out further and thus blocking the elevator or anything, but it acts like that is what it is doing.

Any ideas?

Have you checked the last shell in the magazine tube to see if the face (end with primer) is flush. Once saw a magazine follower / spring combination that pushed the last cartridge at a slight angle and caused a similar malfunction.

Might check the magazine tube to make sure the spring is properly seated in the follower.

Best guess based on info provided. Might take a picture of last cartridge and post.

Please let us know what you find. Good luck.

Regards

It is just my opinion, but I do think the follower in these guns is kinda short.
I've got a couple thousand rounds of various ammo types and brands through mine and have never had this issue.

How many rounds through it? When was it last broken down and cleaned?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Back