• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lefty

J.L.

.270 WIN
I was out doing some dove, rabbit, and jack rabbit hunting most of the day (until a thunderstorm rolled in). I didn't think it wise to be out in a open field with a long metal weapon :eek:. I had a great time and met a fellow lefty shooter. This got me thinking about my own personal experience. Here are some tidbits. Do not wear pocket t-shirts. We lefties set and lower our rifles on the left side and the pocket tends to snag the butt stock. I am more comfortable tracking the doves flying right to left. (I don't know if this pertains to handedness or practice.) It would be ideal for me to hunt with someone who is more comfortable tracking left to right. This allows a team of two hunters to divide the sky and makes the hunt safer. If considering getting left handed rifles and shotguns? My personal opinion is "Why bother, just learn to shoot the right handed rifles. Left handed rifles are more expensive. The parts are difficult to obtain. Getting left handed rifles limits your choice of rifles available. Is there any other advice you fellow south paws would like to add? You right handed guys are welcome to chime in. (We won't hold it against you for using the wrong hand. :D

Dude... Theres all kinds of stuff there I'd never even considered before. Sorry I cant help any, only to say the world of firearms is slowly becoming more and more lefty friendly.

My F-i-L is a lefty, served in the Army in the 70's. There were some accomodations, but he said most of it made things worse so he learned to shoot right handed anyway. Now he can do some things left handed only and some right handed only.

I think its Savage I most often see left handed controls for on rifles.

I think you covered quite a bit! I'll ask my husband if he has anything to add, he's a lefty and so is my 5 yr old.... And it's looking like we may have 2 more so far but we'll see how they progress. I know my husband doesn't purchase left handed rifles and he's an excellent shot! He does have a left handed recurve (spelling?) bow. I'll come back to this thread later, it's his turn to sleep in ;)

I've been thinkin about the part about trackin birds... It doesnt seeem to matter to me which way they go. My daughter, while left eye dominant is right handed too. If we overlap each other, one of us hits the ground and shoots from a kneeling position.

I dont know how safe that is, buts practiced and rehearsed. There have been shots she has given up because she is too close and she makes the decision in a fraction of a second, i trust her to do so.

I dont know if that info helps, just how the two of us "normal" :lol: people do it! :D

I've been taking some skeet lessons, and I find I'm also much more comfortable with right-to-left flying targets. As near as I can figure, having the gun block a bit of vision on the left side makes it tough (in my mind or in actuality, I'm not sure) to orient the gun and the target properly with both eyes open when the target comes from the gun side.

I found that on the right I can shoot sustained lead, but on the left I need to "come from behind" the target, because then the relative gun/target motion is again right-to-left as I accelerate past it.

Remington makes a left handed 870. Perhaps you could find one used? But yeah, When I first started hunting, I learned I was left eye dominant but shot with my right hand (I always wondered why looking down a scope was awkward, now I know why), and I learned to use my right eye, although it wasn't easy I now use my right eye all the time.

J.L. said:
If considering getting left handed rifles and shotguns? My personal opinion is "Why bother, just learn to shoot the right handed rifles. Left handed rifles are more expensive. The parts are difficult to obtain. Getting left handed rifles limits your choice of rifles available.

I beg to differ, I will agree that it is more difficult to find left handed guns, but it can be done and for me it was well worth it with my Left handed Bolt Action Browning A-Bolt that I found for a great deal at a local Pawn shop ($400 used). I Love being able to cycle the bolt properly without lifting off the sights (errr scope) this would be much more difficult shooting a right handed bolt action left handed. Regarding Shotguns, the main reason I'm looking at the Mossberg is for it's ambidextrous safety as I'm not too concerned about ejection and loading on all pump actions (that I've handled) load from the bottom.

Phillip

I agree Big. Bolt action are the number 1 rifle where a lefty would be at a disadvantage. The number two for me would be a bullpup. With the short stock, it makes me nervous shooting it and having the bolt come so close to my face. I'm not that good looking, but it is the only face I have.

I agree with the left and right handed hunting pair. I used to turkey hunt with a lefty and we could cover something like 270 deg. without shifting. It was great!
An old buddy of mine is a lefty and shoots right handed. Learned that in his days as an MP. He said there were no left handed holsters for the 1911.

Back