• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

LEP Flashlights

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Has anyone used one of these flashlights and if so, what's your thoughts on their utility?

Laser excited phosphor (LEP) is a technology taking the flashlight market by storm, creating new capabilities for handheld lights. These types of flashlights are known to emit powerful beams with incredible range. Still, they lack any spill light at all - which makes them perfect for searching dark areas thousands of meters away or illuminating objects up to great distances without flooding your surrounding area in excess spill light! Let's see what the difference is between LEP flashlights compared to LED flashlights.

LEP (Laser Excited Phosphor) is lighting technology that produces strong, efficient light with an emphasis on beam distance. LEP Tech is already popular in applications such as automotive and projection display devices due to the clear, powerful beam it provides. With that in mind it's a natural leap to use LEP for flashlights, and we're confident that they will be along the new cutting edge in the coming years.

The process of creating Laser Excited Phosphor light involves emitting a blue laser through a focused lens. This laser hits a phosphor element backed by a metal substrate, which is then reflected converting the beam to a broad-spectrum light. The resulting beam is the telltale bright white and long reaching LEP light!

When you compare the beam of an LEP flashlight with a regular LED light, you'll notice that the hotspot is exceptionally tight. But even at a longer distance, the hotspot stays really small, unlike the average LED flashlight.

So the big question remains - are LEP set to replace LED flashlights? The answer is quite simple - it depends on the application. While LEP lights boast incredible efficiency and beam distance, standard LED lights will typically have a wider spread beam for area lighting. With this taken into account LEP lights are ideal for specific tasks, they are great for use in industrial settings, search and rescue or just having fun with friends. While LED lights are better all-rounders.

Never heard of them but will have something to research while enjoying tomorrows coffee.

I already want one for my bicycle.

I think half the cars around my area must have these installed as headlights because I can barely drive down the road anymore at night without welding goggles on.

I've looked into a few videos and stuff. While this would be good if done as an IR light for night vision as a directional illuminator maybe, I don't think I would like it so much for a flashlight. Or even a spotlight for that matter.

May be good for directing air traffic though.

Back