• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Les Schwab

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
I was so ticked off this morning that I decided this needed its own thread.

Les Schwab opened a fancy new tire shop here, and it is the nicest one in town, but after four trips to the shop in 2 years I am totally ticked off.

I have taken my truck there for alignment twice and they failed to detect a problem that would prevent alignment, and sent me out with a half-azzed adjustment.

Twice.

Finally, I took the front suspension apart myself.

If you've never done suspension work on a truck, I can tell you that even on a small truck it is no small effort, and I do not have a truck lift.

I took down the lower a-arms, the springs and the shock absorbers, and in the process I corrected the real alignment problem. I discovered a mistake made when the new shocks were put on 2 years ago.

It was throwing front of the truck off sideways, because the rubber bushings were assembled wrong on the right shock absorber. Any idiot could have seen this error while the truck was up on the lift, and I should have seen it myself, but the location of the bushings and the design of the frame camouflages the problem slightly and no one noticed.

So, having fixed it myself, I took it back to Les Schwab for a third time, because they are supposed to guarantee their alignment work. But not for me, because my truck has custom suspension. I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere.

Still, the alignment came out just fine and the truck drives well, so I was not too unhappy to spend that $90 for alignment.

But I was really poed because I had to go back today. When I looked at the paperwork this morning I found out they had only balanced the front tires.

I was there at 8:01 when they open the doors only to be told that I their policy is only to balance the front tires unless you complain about vibration. I didn't say to balance two tires or four tires or all the tires. I told them to balance the tires and the fools only did two.

The managing fool told me I would have to wait behind three other cars with appointments and pay another $34.

That's the fourth time I've been in their shop now, and it's the fourth time I've been disappointed. It will be the last time as well.

I'm sitting at another tire shop waiting for my tires to be balanced because Les Schwab has lost my business forever. I'm having all four done because I could not tell exactly which of the two tires were balanced.

I don't think this company operates east of the Rocky Mountains, so some of you lucky folks probably haven't heard of them. But they have a lot of stores on the West Coast.

I won't be visiting any of them unless it's a dire emergency.

That sucks cadd.
I'll never deal with townfair tire. A bunch of useless shop guys.

I don't think I'll be using our local Esso gas station ever again.... 2 weeks ago I had a service booked on my Nissan Qashqui (Nissan Rogue in the US), and I stopped to get some diesel from the new Esso station on the way... first time I've filled up there...
Had a full service, including new fuel filter, and everything was fine until yesterday when a warning light came up on the dash.... I had to get the manual out to find out what it meant, and apparently its water in the fuel filter.

So... either the Nissan dealer fitted a faulty fuel filter, or the Esso station has contaminated diesel... I've got the car booked in for next weekend to get the fuel filter changed, but I've a feeling that unless I get the tank drained, the new one will get water in it too...

Les Schwab lost my business years ago. Maybe I'm carrying a grudge, oh well.
We have a tire/alignment shop here that was absolutely great then after a change of management they really sucked. I had a vibration they couldn't solve and they even replaced all the tires on their dime in an attempt to fix it. I think it was a wheel bearing going out.
Good service is a moving target sometimes.
Costco holds their tire shop employees to a high standard, if their guys mess up they are in serious trouble. I watched them put tires on my pickup and they dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. :thumbsup:

The tire business is pretty competitive wherever you are, I don’t think there’s a ton of margin on the tires themselves. They make it up on the other stuff. That’s where excellent customer service sets a business way apart from the others.

Any business person (should) know you can’t win on every single transaction if you want to keep your reputation and keep people walking through your doors time after time.

In Cadd’s situation they should have got it right from the start obviously but having recognized the error and oversight they should have at least offered to align and rebalance the tires for free. Not a big cost to them...but they just cost themselves a whole bunch more. Happy customers tell a few people, usually by word of mouth and unhappy customers...well **cringe** you’re seeing exactly how that works...right now. Lol.

Btw...cuz tires are expensive, especially for performance or off-road tires; a friend of mine has convinced my Scottish nature to take my KO2’s off early and sell them for nearly 1/2 the cost of a new set. Mine are 4 years old but not much mileage, only a little under 1/2 the tread life. I buy a new set for about $1200 CAN before tax and flog the old ones for $5-600 on Craigslist.

I paid $1500 USD for four 10 ply Michelins at sears. Just regular 245x17 light truck tires.
ts1.jpg
Tough enough tires I suppose, but that "10 ply" is BS. They are "rated" to be as strong as a 10 ply rayon thread tire.
Which nobody's made since 1964? When nylon got cheaper. When polyester was invented, nothing made sense!

BTW it used to cost $9 to get rid of a used tire: "recycling fee". We had a huge canyon full of used tires.

I think it stopped because the used tires are being recycled into other products for profit, or incinerated for power, but it took years.
People had to develop new business and new machines. Such speculation is really expensive and was almost always done by amateurs.

So... either the Nissan dealer fitted a faulty fuel filter, or the Esso station has contaminated diesel... I've got the car booked in for next weekend to get the fuel filter changed, but I've a feeling that unless I get the tank drained, the new one will get water in it too...

We don't have diesel Rogues here (that I know of). What I DO know about diesel vehicles is that there is often a drain at the bottom of the fuel filter or nearby. Water is heavier than diesel so will settle to the bottom. There is probably also some kind of air bleed. Your owner's manual may show a procedure for draining the filter and bleeding the system of air. Gootoob may have a video or thrice on the procedure.

I would put my money on Esso having water in their fuel tanks. I would contact them and see if that is the case but probably wouldn't go back except for a refund. Maybe ask a lorry driver where he/she gets their fuel?

I don't know how hard it it to get to your in-tank fuel pump. Sometimes there is an access panel under the back seat or trunk. I'm not familiar with the location in a Rogue. But if you pull the fuel pump, you will be able to see into the tank and to see if there is any water at the bottom. This is a link to a VW pump in a sedan but shows you the procedure to remove and replace it. I'd have a new gasket ready in case the old one is distorted and won't go back in. LINK

Back