• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's see your SKS!

This one is in excellent shape. The rifling in the barrel is beautiful and the condition is outstanding for a 40-45 year old gun. My old Chinese SKS didn't shoot a decent pattern no matter what and it was due to it being used heavily before being surplussed. I originally posted pics with a synthetic Monte Carlo stock but it didn't work out so I ended up redoing the wooden stock and here she is..

Re: I know it's only an SKS

My first SKS cost me $99 back in the early 90's and came with all the goodies to go with it.

thing looks new to me...

You know what the best weapon in the world is?
The one you have...

PS I am a wood and steel guy, looks better this way..

hunter72 said:
thing looks new to me...

You know what the best weapon in the world is?
The one you have...

PS I am a wood and steel guy, looks better this way..

In most cases, I'm a wood and steel guy too.

Going to look at Norinco SKS today. UPDATED

I found a Norinco SKS for sale in the local paper. I plan to go and check it out today. Is there anything I need to know about them? I have wanted an SKS for a while but must say I do not know much about them except that the yugos usually came with the grenade launcher. I know each one is pretty much different from another as there were really no protocols as far as manufacturing goes. I know they shoot 7.62x39 like the ak but that they are semi auto and hold ten rounds and usually can be either loaded one at a time or all 10 at once with a stripper clip.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Re: Going to look at Norinco SKS today.

I'm far from an expert but here goes.

The Yugos and some others had milled receivers made from billet steel, and many Chinese Norincos had stamped sheetmetal receivers. There are some SKS barrels that are threaded into the receiver (milled), as can be determined by looking for two flats opposite each other where the barrel meets the receiver. The other method was pressing in a non-threaded barrel while the (stamped sheetmetal) receiver was first heated and then allowed to contract for a tight fit.

Norincos have chrome lined barrels and thusly are almost impervious to corrosion and practically immune to corrosive primers if you ever encounter that sort of ammo. Yugos have non-chromed barrels of very high quality (for a service rifle) but require some more care in the bore cleaning department. Russians usually also have chrome lined bores.

Yugos are effin butt heavy, with their longer barrels and grenade sights/muzzle adapters, and the dense teakwood stocks. One plus about Yugo stocks is that Yugoslavian soldiers were generally taller in stature and therefore the length-of-pull for a Yugo stock is fairly long because of the 3/4" rubber buttpad on them. Yugoslavia had no intention of exporting their precious rifles and so they fit them to the populace.

Russian and Chinese SKS rifles were, on the other hand, destined for many third-world nations with people who were much smaller in stature and the LOP was an intentionally short one and no rubber buttpad was ever offered. And the wood was selected from much lighter and less dense varieties.

Russian and Chinese are very light and agile, Albanians are in the middle, and Yugo SKS rifles weigh as much as an MI Garand.

I know that I am forgetting a lot right now. I just came off a 14-hr shift that was both exciting and exhiliarating and also shitty and upsetting. I'm sore, I hurt a little bit, and the Tylenol hasn't kicked in. Plus the dogs need cared for for a little while before I nap for tonights shift.

If the three fingers of scotch kick in soon I might start saying some really weird sch-idt.

Man, I feel like aspirin in large doses might be worth the stomach wall damage.

I am not knocking Chinese Norincos. They are excellent, even better if you find one that has a threaded barrel but pressed barrel versions are A-Okay.

BUT ~~~~~~~ Puuuhhhh---leeeeeze

Leave the magnificent 10-rd integral box magazine ALONE and never, ever, evah remove it in favor of some craptastic 30-rd banana magazine setup. A few of them work, but most are pure excrement. The original design cannot be improved upon. If you get an SKS I'll send you some 10-rd stripper clips and you'll understand the genius behind not futzing with the design.

BTW, if you ever want buy a YUGO with 13 matching stamped serial numbers on all the major parts including the stock, I be glad to.........

send you photos so you can see what to look for. :)

Oh, and it's Like New in almost unfired condition (not arsenal refinished).

I wasn't going to comment in the thread because I have no advice to give, but my old chinese Norinco SKS had a milled receiver.

Going to look at Norinco SKS today. Now with pics

I bought it. 200.00. Well neglected stock beat to heck. I can buy a new wood one for 25.00 plus shipping. There are just three teeny tiny specs of rust on the bolt carrier. One tiny spot of rust on the magazine. It would cost more to have them polished out then it would to just buy a new bolt carrier and magazine. The dude had really neglected this thing. It took 30 patches just to get the barrel clean and that was using eezox and hoppes elite cleaner. Sorry for the lighting on the pics. I plan to make this a project gun and restore it by having the barrel and receiver parked, getting a new wood stock, new bolt carrier, and new bayonet. On a side note I was able to get the trigger group out and back in with no problem. With the trigger group out I could not for the life of me get the magazine out.

Anyhow here are the pics

100_0404.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0399.jpg

100_0400.jpg

100_0402.jpg

Re: Going to look at Norinco SKS today. NOW WITH UPDATED PIC

Congratulations

Sweet, you got it!

Great deal too. A few small spots of rust shouldn't be too hard to deal with yourself. Looking forward to seeing the progress on your mods.

I am supposed to meet my buddy in Knoxville later today to shoot it. I need to find some stripper clips. I hope some place like Gander Mountain has them or I will be SOL.

Congrats on the new SKS !!

Any ideas as to how to remove the magazine?

tnxdshooter said:
I am supposed to meet my buddy in Knoxville later today to shoot it. I need to find some stripper clips. I hope some place like Gander Mountain has them or I will be SOL.

nitesite said:
Puhhh-uuhhhh---leeeeeze

If you get an SKS I'll send you some 10-rd stripper clips and you'll understand the genius behind not futzing with the design.

Uhhhhh, you somehow don't like me, do you?????????????

nitesite said:
tnxdshooter said:

nitesite said:
Puhhh-uuhhhh---leeeeeze

If you get an SKS I'll send you some 10-rd stripper clips and you'll understand the genius behind not futzing with the design.

Uhhhhh, you somehow don't like me, do you?????????????

What makes you say that?

Just that I'm offering you some free 10-rd stripper clips for the SKS rifle.

Sorry, I'm tired and exhausted and I guess I thought a little bit of sarcasm would come across as geniune humor. I failed.

Back