• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's see your SKS!

Yep, all the norinco's that I know of are chromed out like an old hot rod :)

This one has rifling that looks sharp enough to cut ya !

Mine is chromed lined as well.
I brought my kit to my LGS to have it installed in the kit I bought.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Good score John.

I agree. At my core I still appreciate good old wood and steel milsurps too. It took me a long time to warm up to all the modern plastic fantastic stuff lol.
Does indeed sound like one of the pre Clinton sub 200 dollar grabs everyone scrambled fore back then. Stashed away for a rainy day and probably hadn't see the light of day for 20 something years till one day someone chose to clean out the safe and decided to part with it finally.

Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Yep, all the norinco's that I know of are chromed out like an old hot rod :)

This one has rifling that looks sharp enough to cut ya !

That's what I thought.

My 59/66A1 barrel is not. As I understand it the Yugos chose not to chrome line their barrels due to the added cost of adding the grenade launchers. Still, the rifling on mine looks damn near brand new...

I have many guns with chrome lining, and many guns without.

Though for my intents and purposes, while the extra piece of mind is nice, we both are perfectly capable of cleaning our guns after we use them. Whether we use corrosive ammo or not.

And neither of us are crawling around in jungles around the equator either.

Though with our humidity in the summer, we probably aren't too far from it LOL

And non-chromed barrels are usually more accurate due to various factors with the chroming process building up thickness (or losing it over time) in the bore/chamber/etc

Does indeed sound like one of the pre Clinton sub 200 dollar grabs everyone scrambled fore back then. Stashed away for a rainy day and probably hadn't see the light of day for 20 something years till one day someone chose to clean out the safe and decided to part with it finally.

Enjoy it.

And ironically, the SKS never even ended up on the big naughty list.

Though the grenade launcher that's on LES' would give any legitimate bonafide grabber night terrors. Despite not any grenades existing in the U.S. but is beside the point. It still sounds scary.

OOOoooh! It has a GRENADE LAUNCHER.

And any other country who ever imported sks's can have a bayonet, but the Chinese can't if it was imported after early 1989.:confused:

Unless they have the required number of 922 US Made parts, which changes the gun of course.

Go figure the logic behind that one. Thank you President Bush. You really saved us all from ourselves there. Must've been a bad year for drive by bayonettings. (heavy on the sarcasm)

I took the gun down to clean it and was surprised at the condition of things.

There was even still cosmoline under the handguard on the bottom of the wood, everywhere on the metal under the stock, the underside of the mag body and all up in the trigger assembly. Basically everywhere you couldn't reach from just rubbing the gun down.

Just one quick example:

sks cosmogoop 001.JPG

I ran some patches down the bore, and it came out clean in 3 passes, but I went a total of 5 just for good measure. I took the piston out, and barely got a hint of fouling on my fingers and the black paint on the rear of the piston was not even scratched or worn. I really appreciate whomever owned it before me for taking such good care of that gun.

I decided that since I have an original style SKS in the collection already, I want to get the parts to change the new one over to a bubba'd conversion just for the heck of it. I thought about dusting off my airbrush and giving it a nice camo job, but the gun is too nice for that and one day may be worth my time to put all the OEM parts back on it and sale it that way, so after I get all the new U.S. made parts in, I will be storing all the original parts until then if that day ever comes.

But for the time being, I ordered enough USA made components to be in compliance and change this one over to accept detachable mags, folding stock, bayo, etc.

I really like the SGW bullpup, but in my head, I can't justify the $270 asking price for the upgraded version of the bullpup stock. Especially since that was almost what I paid for the gun itself.

So, I am bidding on one of the old style "Made in Kentucky" ATI folders that are reminiscent of the HK folders because I am not a big fan of the new AR style collapsibles on the SKS.

I know it doesn't count as a 922 part, but I also ordered one of the Murray firing pin with spring to upgrade the bolt with. It is one of the parts that I absolutely will not shoot the gun without because my first SKS had a nasty habit of popping primers when it got real dirty because the firing pin would protrude just enough to light a primer when you weren't expecting it. The Murray spring keeps the firing pin back and away from the bolt face like the original Russian design and doesn't allow the firing pin to float.

Man, that thing must not have been fired much at all.

From the looks of things it likely never had a full teardown either. Good stuff. I'm interested to see how your modifications turn out...

Les, I don't think it has been fired much at all. Even the front of the bolt face where the cartridge contacts each other looks really good and clean. It doesn't take many shots at all to create a "ring" on the face of the bolt from brass or steel casings. This bolt face lacks that entirely. And the tip surface of the firing pin is just as flat and round as it can be.

You can even still see some cosmoline down in the receiver that I haven't cleaned out yet.

sks bolt 005.JPG

And as for the field strip there wasn't even much fouling or residue in the cosmoline, so it's about as pristine as one could expect. It has been fired a few times judging from what little I cleaned out of the barrel and off of the face of the piston, but very little, which I don't really understand why anyone would have a gun and not shoot it. That just goes against my logic and belief LOL

JGWills, I really wasn't expecting to come across anything special when I went into that little pawn shop. I just had a little spare time on my hands, so I figured I'd look around to burn 15 minutes since I was driving by there anyway.

I first noticed that it had the cleaning rod, then I gave it a quick once over and saw that all the numbers matched, then I stuck my thumb in the trap door on the stock and felt the cleaning kit still in place.

I asked for a bore light and checked the crown and bore and I was hooked, but I was able to play my poker face and talked him down from what he had on the sticker to boot.

I wasn't even in the market for another rifle right now, but I have a hard time passing up a real deal if I find one.

I wasn't expecting it to be as clean in there as it was when I got it home and took it all down though. I just looked at it and closed it back up. The cosmoline has done it's job protecting the metal parts this long, I didn't see the need to hose it out now.

I have looked trying to find any info about the importer as for the rough timeframe they were bringing these into the states, but the only thing I can find is they stopped imports in 1993. Which means this one has been sitting around for the better part of 21 years from the look of it.

Got all of the compliance parts today and got to break her in pretty good this evening. Note the US made engravings on the right gas piston

sks 922 compliance 007.JPG

sks 922 compliance 001.JPG

sks 922 compliance 003.JPG

sks 922 compliance 004.JPG

This one isn't a compliance part, but I like the spring loaded firing pin so it isn't "floating". Also note how far the firing pin sits back from the face of the bolt now.
sks 922 compliance 011.JPG

More compliance parts. The buttstock hasn't been made in at least 4 years now, but I was able to find a used one in good condition on Ebay, which made me happy since I was pretty set on this stock.

Mag body, follower, floorplate and buttstock

sks retro 002.JPG

Oli, I know you've mentioned shooting it lately. I like the paint job on that. I bet it blends in good.

I don't know anyone who doesn't appreciate the ruggedness and reliability and the versatility of the SKS.
icon_thumb.gif

You did good painting it. Nice color choices.

Thanks, first time for me. I cut out a little pattern and went after it with the same paint I did my CamelBak in.....then I painted a few other things lol

For many of my old patterns, I used avery brand sticker sheets that you used to could get at wally world. Not sure if Avery still makes it, but it works great for free handing a pattern and cutting it out and placing onto the part you're painting.

I suppose masking tape could be used, but the avery didn't have too much "sticky" on it LOL

Back