• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

long range?

cmstites

Copper BB
is the 4x4 a long range capable rifle? im looking for something that will reach out to 500 yards plus in the 308 caliber. the only videos i could find all showed it at 200 yards or under.

cmstites said:
is the 4x4 a long range capable rifle? im looking for something that will reach out to 500 yards plus in the 308 caliber. the only videos i could find all showed it at 200 yards or under.

First off welcome cmstites! I own a 100 ATR in .30-06 which would essentially be the little brother to your 4x4. While I've never had the chance to handle the 4x4... I would have no doubt that with a good scope and some premium ammunition, hitting targets at 500 yds should be no problem (as long as the shooter can take care of the rest ;) )

Mossbergs rifles surely aren't the cream of the crop, but certainly capabable and accurate. There are so many variables that acccount for consistant accuracy at that range, but the 4x4 itself is definitely up for the task. A quality scope, good rings, good trigger, propper receiver to stock bedding and most of all shooting fundamentals can make most rifles perform well.

Not a problem. Just for comparison purposes, I fired expert for 20 years at 200, 300 & 500yds with military issue M-1, M-14 & M-16 with just standard peep sights on all. With a scoped rifle, the .308 4x4 is perfectly capable of accurate fire at even longer ranges. You'll get about a 4' drop at 500yds.

Accuracy will be stable as long as the bullet stays above about 1100fps (supersonic), so choice of bullet at that range is important. See the chart:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors ... 8wibal.htm

PS: In addition to wind direction and velocity effecting accuracy, here's some interesting reading on the effects of atmospheric conditions (air density, humidity, baro pressure, etc.) on bullet ballistics.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexp ... 5th/31.cfm

^^^^ that's some good info for ya cmstites.

and welcome to the forum from NY.

Thank you for the information. i have shot the same service rifles but this is my first endeavor into the bolt actions. for the price range i cant find another rifle that has the very same features.

cmstites said:
Thank you for the information. i have shot the same service rifles but this is my first endeavor into the bolt actions. for the price range i cant find another rifle that has the very same features.

Generally speaking, bolt actions are inherently more accurate than a semi-auto.

Howdy cmstites.

The 4x4 should do just fine out to 500yd. As you continue your research, look into the pairing of a rifle barrel's twist rate with the proper bullet weight. This pairing will make all the difference in the world when shooting for accuracy. The .308 4x4 rifles have a 1:10" twist rate that will favor 168-180 grain bullets. My .308 Remy 700 (1:10") favors 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match. It's a little more expensive than some other options, but I haven't found any other factory ammo that prints as tight...

cmstites said:

A lot of good info posted already. I'm sure these guns are capable at that distance, it's just a matter of finding the right ammo that the gun likes. Get a good sturdy scope mount and don't cheap out on the scope.

My friend and I shoot out to about 450-500 yds pretty regularly. He has a remy 700P in 300 win. I often use my ATR in '06. I almost always outshoot him no prob. Then again, my ATR regularly shoots under 3/4" 4 shot groups at 100yds. I'd have no problem shooting deer at 500. Prairie dogs wouldn't be such a sure thing, but doable. BTW, I only know the accuracy of my reloads (.015 off the lands, 59 grains of RL 19, 180gr Sierra Gameking).

I just wanted to add that shooting at 500 yds isn't really easy with a typical hunting rifle, especially out in the field where position and conditions are often less than perfect. One would think that hitting a target at 200 yards is twice as hard as hitting that target at 100. Not so. Say it's a 10" by 10" target. That's 100 square inches to hit. That 10 x 10 target looks like a 5" x 5" target at 200 yards. That's 25 square inches. So that could be considered four times harder to hit than the same target at 100 yds. At 400 yards, that 100 square inches is now looking like 6 and a quarter square inches. Hopefully this puts it in perspective if you're not familiar with shooting further out. On top of that, the bullet drops more and more, rapidly. And the wind has more and more effect with that distance too.

I've seen a lot of internet talk from people who are lucky to shoot a 3" group at 100 who then think they'll be just fine shooting at deer or elk up to 400 yards away. The difficulty increase with range is far from linear. It's very important to be precise at 100 if you're planning to shoot further than that. You need a scope that tracks well and is actually zeroed. You need to know how much your bullet drops and how much it's affected by the wind. There's some good free calculators online that will get you close. With my scope centerline being 1.5" above my bore centerline, to be zeroed at 200 yds, I need to be 1.9" high at 100. Two and a quarter inches high at 100 isn't good enough if I plan to shoot out beyond 350 yards or so. One of my friends from back in high school wanted me to check out his Remington 770 which didn't seem to shoot well. He lazer bore sighted it and figured that would be good enough to hunt with. He kept completely missing deer (thankfully, instead of wounding). It wouldn't hit a milk jug further than 40 yards away. Crazy that some people actually shoot at animals with something so poorly set up.

RichardPryor said:
I just wanted to add that shooting at 500 yds isn't really easy with a typical hunting rifle, especially out in the field where position and conditions are often less than perfect. One would think that hitting a target at 200 yards is twice as hard as hitting that target at 100. Not so. Say it's a 10" by 10" target. That's 100 square inches to hit. That 10 x 10 target looks like a 5" x 5" target at 200 yards. That's 25 square inches. So that could be considered four times harder to hit than the same target at 100 yds. At 400 yards, that 100 square inches is now looking like 6 and a quarter square inches. Hopefully this puts it in perspective if you're not familiar with shooting further out. On top of that, the bullet drops more and more, rapidly. And the wind has more and more effect with that distance too.

I've seen a lot of internet talk from people who are lucky to shoot a 3" group at 100 who then think they'll be just fine shooting at deer or elk up to 400 yards away. The difficulty increase with range is far from linear. It's very important to be precise at 100 if you're planning to shoot further than that. You need a scope that tracks well and is actually zeroed. You need to know how much your bullet drops and how much it's affected by the wind. There's some good free calculators online that will get you close. With my scope centerline being 1.5" above my bore centerline, to be zeroed at 200 yds, I need to be 1.9" high at 100. Two and a quarter inches high at 100 isn't good enough if I plan to shoot out beyond 350 yards or so. One of my friends from back in high school wanted me to check out his Remington 770 which didn't seem to shoot well. He lazer bore sighted it and figured that would be good enough to hunt with. He kept completely missing deer (thankfully, instead of wounding). It wouldn't hit a milk jug further than 40 yards away. Crazy that some people actually shoot at animals with something so poorly set up.

^^ Did you see my post about the Sniper101 videos? Very much what you're advising. Excellent tutorials.

Back