• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

looking to buy my first gun

Hi. I am looking to start hunting for the first time and am looking into purchasing my first gun. I will be starting this deer season, but am very interested in turkey and then possibly small game a little down the road. What are your suggestions for a good, all around gun to start with? I am a 50 yr old lady and have some shooting experience, but mostly at turkey shoots and that has been quite some time ago. My friend suggested looking at Mossberg to start. Thanks for your advice.

Hey Robin...check the other thread.

I already started trying to help... ;)

...and happy belated birthday ( August 1961 !! )

Northeast OH is where some really huge whitetails are harvested. I know, I grew up in SE Ohio. Ohio is still only open to hunting deer with shotgun and blackpowder, then? Slug only and no buckshot, right?

I'm 53 and back in the 70s and 80s what we had to hunt deer with was primitive compared to the products of today.

No RealTree camo, scent blockers, GoreTex boots with thinsulate, 4-wheelers, GPS, doe-in-heat urine, rangefinders, thousand dollar long guns, none of that. We were plain Ohio folks with brown duck Carhartts and red/black woolrich shirts and leather boots, pump shotguns and 1-oz foster slugs, tractors and rope to drag our deer (often times by hand) to the nearest road so we could load it in an old battered pickup.

And you know what, deer were harvested by the thousands and thousands.

Here's to your newfound interest in deer hunting and good luck in the field. Don't spend much money on a bunch of "must have" crap from Cabelas. Most of it is like flashy fishing lures... meant to catch a fisherman's money more than catch a largemouth bass.

I have some ideas for a first all-around shotgun but I'll wait to hear more from you. Are you willing to look at a shotgun that comes with a two-barrel set for more versatility?

I am definitely not looking for the fancy "must have's" I am a woman with simple tastes and that carries over into every aspect of my life, especially being outdoors. I'm still learning all the regulations here in OH, but yes, as far as I know, you are correct. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to guns and will be learning as I go. In fact, I was wondering if shotguns came with 2 barrels...because common sense was telling me I might need something a little different for different game...and please don't laugh when some of my questions seem silly lol. The only way to learn is to ask :)

There are no dumb questions except for the ones not asked... ;)

I really don't anticipate anyone laughing at you for asking a question. There's a great group of folks here.

And mossberg 500's are easy to change the barrel.

A barrel with a cylinder choke and smooth bore are good for a slug, as well as a dedicated slug barrel that has rifling, but one little thing to remember, don't shoot anything besides a slug in a rifled barrel.

And for turkey/bird/squirrel/any other small game, I like a modified choke barrel.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of other opinions, but those are mine.

Oh, I know no one would laugh at questions. It was really just a figure of speech :) Learning something new can be a little overwhelming, especially with the choices in weapons. I truly appreciate everyone's help and advice. I am looking for something dependable, somewhat simple but versatile enough to meet my needs, and now as I am learning, barrels can be changed. Now, wheter that widens my choices or narrows it down some, that I don't know lol

OK...let's see where we are at now...

You want...a Mossberg shotgun with more than one barrel for versatility...

12 gauge...? ( gauge: unit of measurement used to express bore diameter...smaller the number the bigger the bore, and most times...recoil ), 20 gauge is also common, as is .410, tho it's not actually a gauge, but a caliber. ( 10-16-28 tend to be the least common gauges )

What type action...pump (manual load ) or auto-loader ( ammo loads semi-automatically )

It is possible to hunt with a side by side (double)...or... even an Over & Under ( O/U )...but... they're more for busting targets like skeet or clays.

You also got to look at things like Length of Pull ( LOP )...the distance from the back of the buttstock to the triggers front surface. Most standard off-the-shelf shotguns have a 14 to 14 3/4" LOP, and some Mossbergs even have a 13" ( M930-autoloader-turkey)...as the gun has to shoulder or mount properly when you go to shoot...expensive ones are actually fitted to people who can afford that luxury...( ie not me ).

Then there's chokes...which help regulate ( constrict ) the shot pattern at a given distance to optimize the pattern ( kill cone of shot ) hurled at the target...and which can be either fixed at the time of the manufacture of the barrel ( cannot be changed manually without swapping barrels ) or barrels that come with interchangeable chokes...that can be screwed in or on the barrel to maximize your hit potential accordingly.

Link to more info
====================================
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2090
====================================

A lot of info to digest for sure...

The internet is a good places to look up and find out what all these terms and ideas mean...so that you can make informed decisions based on what YOU require...not on what everyone opinions as the best option.

It's still quite early into your search for a first-purchase gun for deer/turkey/small game but you're here because a shotgun is probably the best way to begin.

At first glance, based on the size of the deer in your state and the possible distances involved in squaring up on one and dropping it... I think you might want to consider a rifled barrel to accomodate saboted-slugs. Better yet, a sabot slug barrel with a cantilever mount for a red-dot sight or low-power scope. With that you could shoot 3" groups with sabot slugs at 100-yards (if using a rest for your gun).

The ease of changing a barrel out for a turkey barrel or field game barrel is uniquely suited for a shotgun. Mossberg has marketed several great offerings.

Among them, I would suggest (again, it's early in your Q&A development) you might look at this:

63414.jpg

The Mossberg 835 pump #63414.

Nice trigger (under 5-lb pull), comes in camo, includes a rifled barrel for sabot (or even Foster) slugs, includes a turkey barrel which can also double for rabbit squirrel or bird, the slug barrel can accomodate an optic that stays with the barrel so it does not have to be re-zeroed when you take it off and back on, comes ready to easily mount a sling (very important) .... Get it?

Definitely alot of info, but very greatly appreciated! I know some, although not nearly enough lol, but am familiar with most of the terms. In the past I only shot single shot guns. I think I would be most comfortable at first with a pump, not a self-loader. In OH, for deer, a shotgun can only hold 3 shots, but I think there are plugs you can put in if you have a 5-shot. Again, I am not sure. Now, how important is an interchangeable choke at first? I would like to be as informed as possible before I start actually looking. There's another question. Where would be the best place to start looking that has knowledgeable sales people that actually want to help and won't push for most expensive. A place like Dick's Sporting Goods or a smaller shop? I realize I have to be comfortable with how the gun feels and fits...and custom is out of the question for me too lol. But I'm 5'7" so I shouldn't have much trouble. The gun above does look like a good place start looking. Also, and this may just be personal preference, but do you suggest a gun that comes in camo or does that really matter? Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

My replies to your questions in red

Robinann861 said:
Definitely alot of info, but very greatly appreciated! I know some, although not nearly enough lol, but am familiar with most of the terms. In the past I only shot single shot guns. I think I would be most comfortable at first with a pump, not a self-loader. In OH, for deer, a shotgun can only hold 3 shots, but I think there are plugs you can put in if you have a 5-shot.

The mossberg plug is nothing more than a small wooden dowel with 2 rubber o rings in it. Every shotgun I have ever purchased has the plug installed from the factory, unless it is being sold expressly as holding more than 3.

Again, I am not sure. Now, how important is an interchangeable choke at first? I would like to be as informed as possible before I start actually looking. There's another question. Where would be the best place to start looking that has knowledgeable sales people that actually want to help and won't push for most expensive. A place like Dick's Sporting Goods or a smaller shop? I realize I have to be comfortable with how the gun feels and fits...and custom is out of the question for me too lol. But I'm 5'7" so I shouldn't have much trouble. The gun above does look like a good place start looking. Also, and this may just be personal preference, but do you suggest a gun that comes in camo or does that really matter? Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

A gun doesn't have to be camo'd, but it can help when you're hunting. Most of us here have been successful both with and without camouflage.

If you get one that isn't camouflaged, there is also camouflage tape that you can wrap most of the gun with and get the same effect.

My thoughts are it isn't a deal breaker either way, unless you either just really want it, or really don't. But it isn't a bad idea to begin with and I can certainly see the advantages of having camo.

Especially when you will be very close to the animal when you're hunting (like turkey, which have great eyes).

Just my humble 2 cents.

I truly appreciate everyone's input. I learn more with every post. Is a gun with an interchangeable choke something that would be worth the added cost, especially since at first, I will be using one gun for different game?

I think I am narrowing it down some lol. a 12 gauge pump with more than one barrel, interchangeable chokes that will work for deer and turkey...possibly small game. I'm not crazy about the tactical look. Guess the next step is to go and actually handle different ones and see what is comfortable and seems to fit well

Choosing a gun is a very personal thing.

Since God didnt' make any two of us alike, guns will fit each of us a little differently.

So don't worry about hurting our feelings if you like a Remington or Winchester or ??? better. Pick what works best for you.

Please keep up updated.

My buddy recommended a Mossberg for me although he uses Remington. Unfortunately for me, he is out of state elk hunting for a couple weeks so I am kinda on my own in these beginning stages of finding a gun. I truly appreciate everyone's opinions and advice. You are all great people!

You can't go wrong with a Mossberg shotgun but there are certainly other brands out there that make great ones too. The Remington 870 is as tried and true as a Mossberg 500. Feel free to join up on some of our sister sites if you would like.

Robinann861 said:
My buddy recommended a Mossberg for me although he uses Remington. Unfortunately for me, he is out of state elk hunting for a couple weeks so I am kinda on my own in these beginning stages of finding a gun. I truly appreciate everyone's opinions and advice. You are all great people!

Most gun owners are pretty good people.

Unless you watch a lot of evening news or CNN. :lol:

When you go to a gun store to hold them and put them up to your arm and work the actions, there are many considerations.

If you find one you like but is too heavy out front making it too off balance, see if they have one with a shorter barrel. (The shortest will be 18-1/2 inches).

Most states (at least mine) will let you hunt deer and stuff with calibers (gauges) besides 12 gauge too.

12 gauge can have some pretty strong recoil, so maybe a 16 gauge or 20 gauge may be easier on the shoulder when you pull the trigger. But there are different types of bullets that are lower recoil than others too, so we can probably help with that too after you get to actually shoot it.

Here is a little video I did a while back that explains some of that. I won't ever be mistaken for Chuck Norris, but I tried to explain some differences that may help you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycJnEKkrPP8[/youtube]

And there are a lot of different shotgun manufacturers.

Mossberg, Remington, H&R, NEF, Charles Daly, Savage, Stevens, etc etc etc

Try everything the gun shop has and pick the one that works best for you. After you choose whatever you like, we can still help you with the rest of it too.

Back