• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looks like the police have upset a lot of folks

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Here's a link to the facebook thing. But just in case it gets deleted because I don't think based on the comments that this is going to end the way they first expected. So, I'm going to copy/paste a bunch of it here.

I would also like to add, this is NOT moonshine.

https://www.facebook.com/ashleybowe...z65REx4h2vLNVde3MtUBsqbtie1PMvK47H6pXAxZzq1nl

#BREAKING The Pike County and Bullock County Sheriff’s Departments have uncovered and destroyed 30 barrels of moonshine in the woods.

It was found off a dirt road off highway 231.

Details at 6 and 10 on WSFA-TV

291931159_446198697326387_4675787813578886492_n.jpg

---------------

You guys just HAVE to read the comments.

• Spike Cohen Without government, who would destroy your shine because you didn't pay them for permission to make it first?

• Kevin Moon
    Meth and god knows whatever else is out there on the streets and the shiner gets busted. It’s becoming a lost art and the sad part is, we can watch tv shows all about it and that’s okay because it’s reality tv. REAL Reality tv would be the feds busting in on their dramatic scripted taping and busting up their hard work and effort. They paid tax on that corn and so did the farmer. They paid tax on that sugar too I bet. A lot of tax at that amount.
    I hate to read this kind of stuff…

• Mario Alexander Carrasco
    See this is the kinda stuff that makes people hate cops. That shine wasn’t hurtin nobody. Look the other way and carry on smartly.

• Sam White
    It’s alcohol which is 100% legal to make… so when law enforcement thinks they’re above the law to rob you of your shine then they need to be held accountable

• Jelish Bender
    A lot of unsolved murder cases need to be solve ‼️focus on something more important

• Nick Burdette
    Maybe they will crack down on all the rogue jay walkers next lol
  • 284760230_767050677991223_282806506059811109_n.jpg

Niecyc Coleman This is a real joke lol all the crime going on and unsolved murders , sexual predators gun violence, kidnappings child endangerment but look what the law enforcement are out doing disposing of some moonshine instead keeping the city safe for the communities.

• 280389408_171387595332117_163480043114575658_n.jpg

Max Floyd Y’all getting on our damn nerves, shine prices are already skyrocketed, leave our moonshiners alone and go after important issues

• 277165273_5153126764748046_6742263153668963583_n.jpg

Cheyenne Mills Folks are our here cooking meth & stealing children & y’all are worried about a lil whiskey

• Anthony Coleman
    SOMEBODY DONE LOST A LOTS OF VOTE FOR THIS COMING UP ELECTION.

• 283881120_10217097968439937_3030172891787912753_n.jpg

Nick Rutledge All because the government wasn’t getting any of that money. At least not till they probably was gonna pay there property taxes with it.

Anthony Coleman OH HELL YELL THAT WILL STOP human trafficking .

• 274859097_10223727622891333_4022880243583934724_n.jpg

Montana Cotton It’s ok as long as it’s taxed. Otherwise these guys get to feel good about their nonsense. Now let that freedom soak in. Merica!!

• 291801807_5644570282242704_6201929047094053776_n.jpg

Mercer Hughes It was a ALTERNATIVE FUEL FACTORY !!

• 285178263_5281241501985737_2374599614789753931_n.jpg

Kyle Messina Why not question why this is even illegal?

Oh it’s because the government isn’t getting a piece of it. That makes this sound a lot more like a mafia and their enforcement destroying competition.

I have never tasted moonshine but I sure would like to.

The police are NAZIS.

I'm not going to get into a long winded debate about the how, what and why that it's illegal to make your own alcohol from legally obtained items that you have already paid taxes on in the first place. Aside from the federal government who says it's OK if you give us a cut of the money, but if you don't, they will throw you in jail and take everything you own.

And also in the state laws from the hundreds of distilleries around the state capital who have lobbyists that gives a lot of stuff and money to politicians to keep things at the status quo.

This is a government problem. Not a problem in the community or for those in the community. (again, read the comments).

Where I am from, many families kept a roof over their families heads this way. And don't forget, many revolted in the whiskey rebellion when the government wanted to tax liquor in order to help pay back their debt to france for buying weapons and stuff from them during the Revolutionary war, but even after that debt was paid, it shouldn't surprise you that the government decided not to stop taxing alcohol. Imagine that.

So, it's only illegal if you don't give the government their extortion money. Err. tax. And this is despite that you pay taxes for the grain and sugar that you use too. The more you use, the more taxes you're forced to pay. Then, the more alcohol you make, the more you have to pay.

On both sides of my family, my Dads dad was a moonshiner. My Dad hauled it for him and my uncle. And on my Moms side, my grandmother and grandfather were shiners too.

My grandmother got caught with 70 gallons in the fall of 1973. Thankfully she had already gotten rid of the first two pickup truck loads the day before, but that's what she got caught with when they raided them.

My grandmother had a 4th grade education. Couldn't read or write and other than counting money for change is about all the arithmetic she could do either, but this is what she knew to do to put my Mom through college to get a nursing degree, and my uncle through vocational school to be a certified welder. There's no shame in that. She was the sweetest lady you'd ever meet and have given perfect strangers food at her little roadside store. And by God, she could make some of the smoothest whiskey that would roll across your tongue too. She learned from her Father, and her great great grandfathers taught their family from Scotland before coming over here.

This is as much of a way of life in these mountains as the sun coming up in the morning.

I'm sure the police have tracked whoever was making this so it's just going to be a matter of time before they're arrested. That's the only way they would've found the still site in the first place. But, they'll never get a conviction in a jury trial unless they stack the jury in their favor.

But, read the comments. A lot of people aren't happy about this. And for the same reason that I'm scornful of it.

I also don't think it's right to charge a tax for churches from their tithes and offerings and I also don't believe it's right to charge tax on a newspaper or to read the internet, and I also don't think it's right to charge a tax to allow someone to have a machinegun or silencer. You shouldn't have to pay a tax to make your own liquor either.

People have a right to do what they want to be happy. Government should get bent.

This is just how it is here in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky.

And lately, people are even less tolerant of government folks. But that's probably a conversation to save for another day.

Meanwhile democrats have been burning cities for two years and are now torching churches and pregnancy centers. Ohh and our president is selling a million barrels of fuel to China while we suffer.

I can't read the comments since I deleted my FB sccount so thanks for posting some here.

Its always about the money. Everything always comes down to who gets their cut.

I don’t “do” Facebook either. I don’t tweet. My social media consists of what you see here plus talk about bicycles & tropical fish.

40 years ago during the last gasoline crisis, I read books about distillation of fuel and making denatured alcohol in a solar still to run your car.

As far as I know, it was/is totally legal to make fuel, as long as you poison it to prevent people from drinking it. Normally this is done just by adding a small percentage of gasoline and motor oil.

It has to taste really bad so people won’t drink it. That gets you out of paying the drinking alcohol tax. (Maybe not some fuel production tax though. I don’t know about that.)

Anyhow, from the comments I gather that this is what was actually going on, right? Or was it a ruse?

The thing is, you don’t buy sugar and corn to make a cheap motor fuel. You distill crop waste, lawn clippings and leaves; and all kinds of crap that would make the worlds worst tasting whiskey, but it still makes alcohol fuel.

Now corn and sugar is really efficient at making alcohol, and average random plants are not so efficient, but the solar still allows you to cook it for as long as you need to without tending a fire.

(You don’t have to burn fuel to make fuel if you have a solar still. You can make one in the desert with a piece of glass or plastic and a rock.)

You just reinforced the mash and send it back through the system.

Of course I live in the desert where there is abundant sunshine for this sort of business; but if you live in a very cloudy climate then this will not work for you well.

There is so much agricultural waste around here that they don’t want you to burn, that it would be useful for making fuel.

One of the secrets to making really smooth moonshine is you just burn the 1st jug or so (Depending on the size of your still) because it’s full of poison methanol and awful tasting distillates.

Otherwise you need to have a good mash, clean equipment, consistent temperatures, & good filtering.

If you want to see some really scientific home distillation, watch the Tech Ingredients channel. He goes thru the whole process In a thorough manner, and in several different shows operates different types of stills and shows why they work.

The pot still is easy and cheap but not so powerful. The column still is quite interesting, because it keeps recycling the alcohol in just one pass, as it goes through the different levels, and re-circulates the denser material down to be re-distilled.

By the way, clean water is very important but you can run filters and RO filters to make sure the water is pure. You can distill the water before you make it into whiskey. (This would perhaps only be economically feasible with a solar still.)

I have been told that 100% pure water is not going to make the best whiskey. Something about the particular minerals in the water where you live has an effect.

I don’t know if that is true or just superstitious nonsense, but our ground is a natural water filter here with many layers of sand.

The closer you get out of the valley and towards the hills the harder the water gets. Is the best whiskey from the Hills just because you have to hide it?…or because that’s where the water works?

Most ground water is perfectly fine to distill with. (or so I've heard).:idk:

The reason being, city water processes with a lot of chemicals that may kill or largely prevent the yeast from converting the sugars to alcohol. So, if the yeast gets killed, or otherwise is not happy, it's not going to do much (if anything).

Everything is dependent on the yeast.

A lot of people use yeast of varying kinds, but the most popular for the do-it-yourselfer is probably going to be bread yeast that you can get from the store. Though one thing I learned while very young, you don't have to have storebought yeast. You can use what's naturally occuring and present on the fruits or vegetables or whatever you are using. Yeast is naturally occurring, but if you wash the yeast off or put it in a pot that is too hot it'll kill it. (again--yeast is a living organism). Most yeast is happy in temps where you're happy. 70-100*F will most often work.

Now, to your other point about making fuel.

You can get a fuel making permit. That's per federal law. They have varying permits, but the smallest one allows you to make up to 10,000 gallons and it goes up from there. You have to serialize the still just like you have to serialize a gun so they can track and identify it, and on the application you have to provide detailed location where you make it, and also where you store it for when they inspect it.

Without getting into too many technical details, instead of telling anyone they would need to distill the alcohol 2 or 3 times in order to make it high enough octane to run a gasoline powered engine, it's easier to say that it needs to be 180 proof (or higher). Higher is obviously better, but even 180 proof will work if you use a 80% alcohol and 20% gasoline mixture. That's essentially the same as 85 octane ethanol at the gas station.

I know this because I have begun looking into it. But, it appears that my state also taxes what you produce which is what has been holding me off from doing it but if fuel continues to rise, I think that I'm going to start doing it. But, the federal fuel permit is downloadable and far as I know free if you want to jump through the hoops to do it.

Here's an easy to understand tutorial: https://www.clawhammersupply.com/bl...856388-fuel-alcohol-permit-the-ultimate-guide

Here is the challenge:
Reat-time fuel manufacture.
Like the Mr. Fusion
Insert fruit, drive tractor.
wash, rinse, repeat.

The only product . . . errr . . . fuel present is sealed in the system.
You never make enough to store it, but it is made continuously as you drive.
There would be a stinky waste sludge to put on the garden.
The smell of it all would have to be made attractive somehow, without attracting taxmen.
Methanol (wood-alcohol) seems possible...

Deoxycarbolation (sp?) (cooking without oxygen) releases combustible gas, but not for a motor fuel: To run a turbine engine that generates DC to batteries for electric traction motors. You store the electrons but never the fuel. Instant on, with eventual recharge, as you add . . . whatever makes methanol?

(I only buy bonded booze. In the old days, distillation thru a car radiator was an old tale of madness, but maybe not a threat these days, what with modern non-toxic car parts.)

Back