• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1 Garand

blue

20g
CMP Garand. Anybody got one?

I'm seriously thinking of a service grade HRA. I'm not collecting, so I figure the HRA will have likely seen less service. Anybody get one of these and know about accuracy? I belong to a qualifying club and understand that they ship to your door.

Re: CMP Garand. Anybody got one?

blue said:
I'm seriously thinking of a service grade HRA. I'm not collecting, so I figure the HRA will have likely seen less service. Anybody get one of these and know about accuracy? I belong to a qualifying club and understand that they ship to your door.

Accuracy will depend on a number of factors not the least of which is the shooter , but what the throat and muzzle gauge will have a big impact on accuracy......

P1240134.jpg

P1160124.jpg

a quick guage for the muzzle is a unfired 30-06 round the larger the distance between the brass and the muzzle the better

Unfortunately I don't live near the facility. This is a mail order situation so I'd get what I get.

If you don't know about the program, it's a kind of a government sponsored "well regulated militia" thing to make sure folks can shoot if need be. Garands starting at around $500. According to the interwebz "service grade" is the way to go if you want a shooter.

Here's a linky http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

mine came from CMP in 2006 ordered and got the one shown above, it is a service grade

Would you do it again? I like the sound of the iron sight CMP competition at my club.

i was going to geta carbine but i am out of work right now so its pretty low on my list right now

Here she is!

She is an early Aug '43 rifle with a SN# of 179XXXX
I had it completely a part last night, I may do so again, I think I need to wire wheel some of the pieces that hold the stock on as well as the loops and butt stock/tool cover But I need to research a little bit more to see if this is a good idea or not, I don't want to screw anything up and have to re-parkerize anything if its not needed, Even though some is already missing.

6112873057_cdcc288664_z.jpg

6113414352_e05dda8770_z.jpg

6112874833_5a4318d455_z.jpg

Dutch scabbard, But the Bayonet is unmarked, There are 5-6 different companys that MFG'd them, So I need a little more time to figure it out.
6112875831_a36e917a4e_z.jpg

I am still trying to get all the gunk out of the barrel, The patches keep coming out black, I may need to brush it a little more and then run more patches through it.
Its mostly a Springfield Armory rifle, But the bolt and trigger guard are Winchester(WRA) even though the internal parts are stamped SA.
Enjoy

Re: My '43 M1 Garand

so cool. Do they usually have the bare metal like that ? or is that a coating. I like the the look alot . Thats just one of those guns that feels like I can shoot 1000 yards with. I have shot a couple but I need one of my own

I read somewhere that the gas port section came that way, Its stainless steel and GI's would use coal, tar, soot or anything possible to coat them to darken them.

Congrats on the new Garand. She's a beauty!

Try some Windex down the barrel. It works wonders for me when cleaning up decades of residue from surplus rifles. Plus, it gives your barrel that streak-free shine! :lol:

Real nice looking Garand!!!!

My older mausers and Mosins usually take a fair amount of Brass brushing to clean them good. If need be I attach my brush to cleaning rod that fits my cordless drill. Just use plenty of solvent or CLP and keep that brush moving back and forth, clean in a heartbeat!!!

I use LAZY's Idea when I'm done shooting at the range, the ammonia neutralizes the corrosive ammo until you can get to it with a good brush and solvent..

Enjoy that beauty!!!

Thanks guy's, I will give the windex a shot.

I need to find some lighter 30-06 ammo, I guess the ammo of today is too powerful and can ruin the operating rod.
So I am not quite sure when I get to have it out.

First...just let me say this....WoW...she's beautiful !! ;)

Second...Welcome to the club !! I own a November 1944 built Springfield.

Third...most of the rifles you see now are arsenal rebuilds and will have mixed parts...but, as you have said...it's a Springfield !!

Surplus ammo abounds at gun shows and even the CMP has specials they run now and then...

=============================================

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/askarmorercommercialammo.htm

==============================================

Fourth...shoot the hell out of it...life is too short not to...!!

Fifth...Real nice pics !!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW...rep sent !!

SHOOTER13 said:
First...just let me say this....WoW...she's beautiful !! ;)

Second...Welcome to the club !! I own a November 1944 built Springfield.

Third...most of the rifles you see now are arsenal rebuilds and will have mixed parts...but, as you have said...it's a Springfield !!

Surplus ammo abounds at gun shows and even the CMP has specials they run now and then...

=============================================

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/askarmorercommercialammo.htm

==============================================

Fourth...shoot the hell out of it...life is too short not to...!!

BTW...rep sent !!

Thanks!
Its been a long time coming.

Saw this with a little searching.
Interesting contraption...

Adjustable Gas Plug

The reviews are good, I wonder if I should consider such a thing?

Basically, It will allow more or less gas to escape so the chances or over powering the operating rod is cut down with today's 30-06 loads, It can even be opened enough for single shots.

Well, I'm not going to say don't do it...but I have never come across the need for one in my 14 years of ownership because I use surplus ammo...and when I had to use current production ammo in mine it was for the occasional match...and the CMP run matches don't allow them to be used. ( link in post above goes to that page ).

Most of the ammo I have stockpiled is M2 Ball Greek HXP 150gr and 1950's production M2 Ball South Korean Arsenal 150gr...and I used Hornady FMJ BT 150gr for matches.

=================================================================

Now...go out to all the gun shows in your area and stock up on all the surplus ammo you can afford and grab up all the en bloc clips ( yea, clips ) ya can find for your Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 !!
;)
==================================================================

Thanks I read the link after I posted, My bad :)

Lucky for me we have a gun show in a few weeks, I will certainly check it out, They generally have a good selection of ammo.

Great !! We here in Pennsylvania have a gun show coming up on 9/17 and 9/18 in a place you may have heard of...Valley Forge.

It's always a blast...my buddies and I are like kids in a candy shop.... ;)

That's what I love about living down South, there's ALWAYS a gun show somewhere! :lol:

I reload my 06. Cant you reload some lighter loads ? I mean if you dont have the gear thats one thing but you have an antique rifle so it might be a good investment so you can shoot it and know your not going to damage it.

Back