• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Machetes

I just noticed that you asked why I didn't clean up the machete.

Well, I assume that a wire wheel brush would probably knock most of the rust off, but I don't really use it much anymore. Like a shovel, the rust gets rubbed off with use and I never really had the desire to do it.

But now that you have me thinking about it, it would make for a nice rainy day project.

Yea John...the grip seems to be in good shape...and if it's wood, it's probably ebony...and cleaned up you would have a nice keepsake from your grandparents. Imagine where it's been...!!

I wore out a couple "machetes" on the farm when I was a kid. Only thing is ... back then we just called them "corn knives". :lol:

Shooter, I do appreciate that little feature too! Nice knife really for a china made piece. As for the Gerber, I do like enough I would own one no problem. Ideally though, I want to get the 18" OKC GI machete. Made in the US and the cost isnt significantly higher than the Gerber.

Speaking of Ontario Knife Company John, The machete you posted looks very similar in appearance! Looks great, rust and all!

Toby, are you familiar with "tobacco knives" at all? My old grand-dad was a tobacco farmer. The tobacco knives arent much like a machete, kind of a good size handle with a bit of a curved blade to it...

EDIT:
Oooops! :oops: I had initially said "Dave", I meant to ask Toby if he was familiar with tobacco knives! Sorry!

I have one of the cheap walmart machetes from back when they were $2.50. I think they are about $10 now... Most of the time, it stays in the shed and the axe goes with me.

Fronty, I looked at some of those yesterday. They had some for like $6. OzarkTrail I think is the name on them.

TSC (Tractor Supply) where my TSC GF works has corn and cane knives.

I got the Gerber Gatorback yesterday!!! I like it, and the guy behind the counter said to be careful, another employees son cut himself pretty badly within 15 minutes of opening it. I cut myself on the plastic while opening, but the blade itself isnt very sharp out of the box. Need to get it sharp... and get some pics too!

The Ozark Trail stuff isn't to bad. I have one of there fixed blade knives that I keep in my car and it's stood up to everything from opening packages to chopping small limbs (with sharpening).

Rossignol wrote: "I cut myself on the plastic while opening, but the blade itself isnt very sharp out of the box."

=====================================

:lol: Dude... I just lost a mouthful of beer !! Come on...don't waste beer !! :D

Keep the plastic...throw the knife away !! :p

======================================

You know how stuff is packaged all goofy, and it requires a rather sharp blade to cut through all the plastic? Well, it was like that!

So i'm cutting through the plastic and ran my knuckles across part of that edge and it cut me. It nearly required a bandaid and I considered getting into my Mudinyeri EDC. Then I got mad and it was gonna be me or the plastic! So I shredded it with my bear hands and ripped the machete from its packaging. I waved the machete triumphantly over my head and shouted something primordial. For a moment, I was embodied by the spirits of Vikings, the Visigoths, other barbian hordes and perhaps cro-magnon as well! It was crowded and the only way out was through that yell.

I truly am a warrior.

Rossignol said:
You know how stuff is packaged all goofy, and it requires a rather sharp blade to cut through all the plastic? Well, it was like that!

So i'm cutting through the plastic and ran my knuckles across part of that edge and it cut me. It nearly required a bandaid and I considered getting into my Mudinyeri EDC. Then I got mad and it was gonna be me or the plastic! So I shredded it with my bear hands and ripped the machete from its packaging. I waved the machete triumphantly over my head and shouted something primordial. For a moment, I was embodied by the spirits of Vikings, the Visigoths, other barbian hordes and perhaps cro-magnon as well! It was crowded and the only way out was through that yell.

I truly am a warrior.

I HAVE THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!! :D

Bro...seriously...the visual on that... :lol:

Well, It's gonna take a while to rep ya all the times necessary to cover the belly laughs ya gave me today...

Thanks !!! :D ...here's one to start >>>

insaneranger said:
Rossignol said:

I truly am a warrior.

I HAVE THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!! :D

Now that is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. :lol:

shera.gif

Oh wait, wrong primordial moment

Aww...come on guys, you've seen Rossignol in his videos...

CONANSWORD.jpg

...here he is ready to battle that plastic wrap...^^^

...and below, after he cut himself !!

CONANARNOLD.jpg

:lol:

Dang, thats some funny stuff!

SheRa is seriously hot! Or at least she used to be... you know when I was like 12 or something.

Back