• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Machetes

Thats some funny stuff! I remember SheRa as bein hot... maybe like when I was 12 I guess.

First the plastic got me and I was all like
Black-Knight-monty-python-380119_800_441.jpg

Then I got mad and I was all like
300.jpg

All those warriors and barbarians of older times showed up like this guy,
vwarrior2gs.jpg

So I ripped the thing apart you know, and was all like
23-maori.jpg

So then it was all good!

The end.

You missed your true callin' Bro... :lol: ...truly good stuff !!

You know...humor is one of the signs of high intellect...

And you sir...are a friggin' genius !! :D

Forgive the resurrection of an old thread, but this had me rolling! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have at the house waiting for my return in a few days a Cold Steel Katana "machete". I use the term loosely here. It is, however, 35 1/2 inches of anti-zombie CQB blade.

imagesCACCQKM9.jpg

My wife asked what I was going to do with it and when I told her it was for zombies, she called me an idiot! :lol:
I also plan to get the Gerber Gator Jr. and Gerber Sport axe II for the BOB.

For my families BOBs, I purchased six machetes from Harbor Freight. I found these machetes to be tough, useful and comfortable. At $4.99 each, they are also quite affordable. For now, they have withstood use with no failures/problems. They are all used for clearing land, trimming trees, and practicing survival techniques with the kids. The blades on all six of the machetes have been modified. I used this YouTube video as a guide for the modifications. Let me know what you guys think? :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHeKNbRXgc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL88A305B8BAEDF6BD

One thing about machetes, you can score one real cheap and for the most part, it does what it is designed to do just fine. I also have an Ontario Knife Co. GI machete the I have had for years. I sharpened it up and oiled it real good last time I was home. It will go into someone's BOB.

I got the Gerber Gator Jr. and I wonder how well it will hold up. It is not a full tang but rather bolted into the front half of the grip.

Yup, the same one I have.

I got mine after using a friends. He has had his for several years and it sees a lot of use on his property from hacking at poison oak to removing saplings.

I agree it doesnt seem to be heavy duty, but seeing how well his has lasted with the use it gets did it for me.

I'm a big fan of the Kukri design too. I had and used a Smith and Wesson Outback Kukri for a while for everything when I was backpacking. It did everything my hatchet and large survival knife did in one package. Sadly I found out that the blade was made from cheap pot metal when I was using it to split kindling and ended up breaking a 2 inch section off the tip off of it.

I LOVE the design, so I'm thinking of dropping the big bux and picking up a Cold Steel Kukri as a replacement.

Central American common use

The attached picture shows (left to right) a normal machete used for light-duty stuff including cutting grass, a ``cuma`` machete used for clearing brush and cutting firewood, an experiment of mine (a new cuma cut off to 14 inches), a garden tool made out of a worn out machete (it gets used as a trowel more than anything else), and a file that is the norm for sharpening machetes.

These machetes are made by Imacasa of El Salvador, a major tool producer. I rarely have much use for a machete, but I keep them around for the gardener. The cuma ones seem awkward at first, but they are the preffered thing for up to and including cutting down large trees. Personally, I`d save my wrists and use an axe, but a lot of country folk in Central America don`t have an axe. They have the same thickness of other machetes, but the total weight gives them much more chopping power and they come in 22 and 24 inch lengths.

The experimental jobby is handy—it gets light duty use on kindling and I plan to take it with me on hikes but I have to get a sheath made. The idea is to have the heft of an 18 inch blade in a 14 inch package. Net, net, it`s pretty much like a cane knife which they don`t sell up here in the mountains. If it works out, I won`t have to splurge for one of those Condor (also Imacasa) machetes that tempt me!

The file looks like a triangular one, but on closer inspection it is 4 sided. I don`t know what it is called, I just ask for a file for machetes at the hardware store and they know exactly which one.

Missing in the picture is a forked stick. The gardener uses it to control the weeds or whatever so his hands don`t have to come near the blade. He`s an old guy with all his fingers and toes. A neighbor lady wasn`t so lucky. She whacked her foot about a year ago. 3 surgeries later she still is not walking right and probably never will.

Nosey-won-kannoby wants to know why I am playing with machetes when I should be feeding him.

The 2 machetes shown are by far the most common, but there are a zillion other designs. http://www.imacasa.com/buscar-all-en.php.

I thought about bring up a couple cumas in my hold baggage, but don`t want to chance it with fatherland security in the part of the airport where you hand carry your luggage thru customs. The folks who keep us safe from Swiss Army knives would really have something to talk about!

Attachments

• IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,461
Brad, although I'm not familiar with tobacco knives, I'm now more familiar with machetes and have a couple new-ish ones in the stable. I posted pics of the larger one elsewhere but forgot to come back here.

Here's the larger one, with a smaller one I just picked up, resting happily together. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.) The smaller one has a 12.5" blade and is really a nice size for bushcrafting - not too big but big enough. The larger one is made by Condor and has 17.5" blade. Both are good knives for their purpose.

2012-04-08_20-44-44_140.jpg

SHOOTER13 said:
Aww...come on guys, you've seen Rossignol in his videos...

CONANSWORD.jpg

...here he is ready to battle that plastic wrap...^^^

...and below, after he cut himself !!

CONANARNOLD.jpg

:lol:
Speaking of cutting himself.....

New yorkers don't belong having hatchets.....first time I tried to split wood for the grill. If I still lived in N.Y. I would have never tried this.... :lol:

KneeinjuryJuly2-32011004.jpg

KneeinjuryJuly2-32011003.jpg

KneeinjuryJuly2-32011002.jpg

Back