• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag tube removal questions

Pilot

Copper BB
I have read several ways to remove the mag tube, but wanted to ask any experts out there before attempting to remove a mag tube on my Maverick 88 or the 590A1 that I own. I have read where Mossberg uses loctite on the mag tubes at the factory? I have read where heat from a heat gun or hair dryer might help but also wonder how to grip the tube without damaging it and how much heat to apply?
I found where Brownells has a set of pliers made for mag tube removal, but would like to hear from anyone who has every used these pliers? So I just wanted to ask any experts on the use of heat and how to apply and the various methods of gripping the mag tube without damaging it? Also would it be necessary to apply loctite with a new tube or could you just keep it tight and be able to remove it for cleaning once in awhile?

Thanks
Pilot

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=3287 ... 00_d_11399

On just about every Mossberg/Maverick 500/590/88 that I have taken a magazine tube off the receiver I accomplished by placing the end of the tube in a smooth jaw vise (if you look at the end of the magazine tube it is solid steel). I have not heated up the tube before but it couldn't hurt if you wanted to give it a try. As for the loctite; I always put some on before I put it back together. Hope that helps.

DHonovich said:
I accomplished by placing the end of the tube in a smooth jaw vise (if you look at the end of the magazine tube it is solid steel).

Ok and then just turn the receiver by hand and unscrew? I do see the solid steel on the end of the tube on my Maverick 88 but not on my 590A1 which has a open tube.

Exactly, for the Mossberg 590 you can either buy the pliers as you posted or take some weather stripping and wrap the end of the tube and then place some duct tape over that which will allow you to use a pair of channel lock pliers without damaging the finish of your magazine tube.

DHonovich said:
Exactly, for the Mossberg 590 you can either buy the pliers as you posted or take some weather stripping and wrap the end of the tube and then place some duct tape over that which will allow you to use a pair of channel lock pliers without damaging the finish of your magazine tube.

Can you give a description of how tight the mag tubes are with the factory loctite? I am trying to visualize how much pressure I would have to apply on the pliers and would worry somewhat about denting the tube as others have spoken about on various forums. I think I read that the pliers should be applied as close as possible to the receiver as the tube is slightly thicker in this location.

It certainly takes a good amount of force to get it to start turning and then it comes off nice and easy. It may be worth buying the pliers to be on the safe side. They are certainly cheaper than replacing the magazine tube.

First I see this is an old thread but, I'm not sure if I should feel bad or not. I cleaned my 590 the other day and took the mag tube off for the first time. I tried unscrewing it by hand and found it very very tight. I shot some gun oil on the exposed threads and turned it in and out a few times. I repeated that several times until it unscrewed completely. I didn't know it had Locktite on it, lol.

I just purchased a 590A1 (51520 model) yesterday. Brand new, right out of the box I was able to easily remove the mag tube by hand. I didn't realize it had, or should have had, Locktite on it.

Just took mine off this last weekend too when I was doing a cleaning.
It was fairly easy to remove by hand in a counter clockwise direction, mine was snug but not over tightened. Went back on fairly easy too, and I did notice some red stuff on the threads, locktite perhaps, but I just hand tightened it back on

The older 70's guns seemed to turn out with little more than hand pressure. Newer ones were real tight & I opted to leave them alone. You can clean the insides without removal, so unless you want to replace the tube I wouldn't risk twisting or bending it. If it aint broke??? If you play with it enough or force it, you will break something for sure.

New or old a little bit of heat from a heat gun and they come right off.

(not sure if you realize this is a five year old thread.)

I might have missed it but I heated the receiver with a heat gun for 30 seconds or so. Expands the receiver threads away from the tube and breaks the glue bond. I didn't use much heat at all, I just needed a thin rag and grabbed the receiver bare handed, it broke loose easily. I had tried the pliers first, rubbed the blue off the tube! I was replacing the tube with a high capacity tube (kit) from Brownell's. One of my son-in-laws wanted my old tube to replace his rusty tube.

I tried the heat up method last weekend with my wife's hairdryer, did not want to use my really hot heat gun, the barrel and receiver were pretty hot to the touch but I could not get it to break free. I did not want to screw up the mag tube so I quit. Every time I push a shell into the tube it sounds like a old rusty iron gate. (this is a new gun and I have only 25-30 rounds down the tube)
The mag tube is the only part of the gun I did not initially clean and lube when brand new. Would like to qet rid of the squeaky sound. (Nothing says "here I am" quite like a squeaky gun being reloaded in the dark, if you know what I mean);)

Any other Ideas

Thanks

Randy

I would use the heat gun. Direct the heat on the receiver where the mag tube threads in. You don't need it "glowing" hot.

even if it was glowing hot it isn't going to melt it or harm it, not heat treated so no loss in temper .....

I have done a few and its always just have a guy on the receiver and a guy on the tube and twist opposite hard , always works, no heat ever needed .......all have been 500's

I heated the receiver (500) until it was too warm to grip bare handed at the threaded end only. The magazine tube was clamped securely and I turned the receiver off of the tube immediately after heating it. I'm changing the magazine tube on my 935 soon but I'm not convinced heat on the camo'd receiver is a good thing!

If the tube doesn't remove with only minimal force I'll heat the tube only to break the adhesive bond then try to unscrew it.

Back