• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magazine Tube Question

bodark

.22LR
I have a new Maverick 88 with the seven round magazine tube on the 20 inch barrel. I am trying to remove the magazine tube to install the Defender Tactical magazine follower for the mini shell adapter. The factory used red Loctite to install the barrel at the factory and I am not having any success at removing the tube. So far I have tried Acetone and a strap wrench. I know about using heat, but I am concerned about damaging the tube.

1. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than heat to remove the tube?
2. Does anyone know where I can get a new tube if I damage the tube with heat? I have not found anyone that has them in stock.

Thank you for your time and help.

A strap wrench works. Heat works just dont use to much.

Its been a while since I've looked so not sure who has them in stock. Did you try Havlinsales.com

Use a electric heat gun and take your time. Once the receiver gets hot enough you either see or smell the compound “releasing”. Once this happens you should be able to unscrew it with a leather work glove on. Remember to clean up the thread both on the tube and in the receiver. Also remember to check the mag tube every so often just to make sure it’s nice and tight.

OP, how does it run with the stock follower? Considering replacing my OpSol with the Defender Tactical adapter but I don’t relish the chore of replacing the follower on my Maverick 88.

Howdy! Awesome to hear you are giving our adapter a try. Thanks for your purchase! Lots of good advice already here, but figured I would drop another suggestion if you don't have luck with heating.

We have seen a Mossberg Armorer say that acetone will work as well. With the barrel removed, stand the gun on its stock with magazine facing up, and shoot a little bit of acetone around the threads and try to keep it on there for around 15 mins (Might have to add some more as it evaporates).

We cannot speak to the effectiveness of this method and heating is probably the easiest way to go, but we have seen some say that they were having trouble with or weren't comfortable with heating. Looking forward to your feedback!

OP, how does it run with the stock follower? Considering replacing my OpSol with the Defender Tactical adapter but I don’t relish the chore of replacing the follower on my Maverick 88.
Glad to hear you are thinking about the upgrade! The adapter and follower are designed to work as a pair, mostly for the longest shell lengths. Due to the cartridge "arrester" on our adapter, there is a very small amount of force pushing back on the longer shells. Now this does not lead to a failure in any case and really only matters for the last shell, but you it may notice a small difference in the action if you have a 3" coming out last. The face of our follower is designed to prevent any sort of drag or snag on your last shell by providing a smooth transition between the magazine tube and receiver. (It also has other safety and friction-reducing features)

But here is the bottom line: Some of our customers have been in the same boat as you and either didn't want to change or already have another follower upgrade installed, and we haven't had any complaints from those using other follower options. If you are concerned about this, then you have probably already seen that your Mav 88 has the Loctite, but it may be worth noting that ours did not come from the factory with any sort of thread lock and was very easy to remove so check it if you haven't! Anyway, I hope this helps and please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any other questions!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have been trying acetone for the past two days without success. I got the Husky strap wrench last night and intend to try heat today.

To BoBo 522, I do not know how the Defender Tactical mini shell adapter will work without the Defender Tactical follower. Hey Defender Tactical, could you address that question?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have been trying acetone for the past two days without success. I got the Husky strap wrench last night and intend to try heat today.

To BoBo 522, I do not know how the Defender Tactical mini shell adapter will work without the Defender Tactical follower. Hey Defender Tactical, could you address that question?
Hope you have luck with the heat. I just answered BoBo's question right before you replied back! Hope our answer helps.

My attempt with heat failed. I got it as hot as I could stand, but obviously not hot enough to get the job done. However, based on your information above, and the fact that I am never going to use 3" shells, I am going to install the adapter without the follower. Thank you, Wes for your information and help. I am a satisfied customer. I will be back when I get a shockwave. I don't have to remove the magazine tube on that one.

My attempt with heat failed. I got it as hot as I could stand, but obviously not hot enough to get the job done. However, based on your information above, and the fact that I am never going to use 3" shells, I am going to install the adapter without the follower. Thank you, Wes for your information and help. I am a satisfied customer. I will be back when I get a shockwave. I don't have to remove the magazine tube on that one.
Man we hate to hear that. Unbelievable that Mossberg would make a part that must be removed for proper maintenance and cleaning so difficult to remove. This is unacceptable. Please hang on to your follower we will need to develop some sort of process or tool to remove these magazines. Shells rolling around in a field bag or on the shooting bench are filthy you HAVE to be able to remove the spring and follower for proper cleaning. Also, eventually, you may need to replace your spring...then what?

Sorry you had trouble give us some time to work on this.

Yes. One of the reasons you buy a shotgun is that they are easy to clean, and you can change barrels and lengths of barrels. The absolute least I would expect is that they would use blue Loctite, if they thought necessary. I don't see any need for anything other than hand tightened. If anyone can figure a way to get this done, you can. Thank you for your interest, your communication, and your GREAT customer service.

BTW, I installed your Universal Shell Adapter without the follower. It works fine. Thanks for a great product.

Yes. One of the reasons you buy a shotgun is that they are easy to clean, and you can change barrels and lengths of barrels. The absolute least I would expect is that they would use blue Loctite, if they thought necessary. I don't see any need for anything other than hand tightened. If anyone can figure a way to get this done, you can. Thank you for your interest, your communication, and your GREAT customer service.

BTW, I installed your Universal Shell Adapter without the follower. It works fine. Thanks for a great product.
10-4 to that. No reason for loctite the mag tube is captured once the barrel and screw is installed, it can't back out. Anyway we'll keep you informed if we come up with something. I see people who are buying new 88's and selling the parts on eBay, all the mag tubes I see have vice grip marks at the top.

OK we have an idea that's easy, probably too easy to actually work, but I'll throw it out there....

We have a tool we developed for removing the spring retainer dents from the mouth of Mag tubes (needed when adding our Mag Extension, etc). Anyway it is a 2-part tool, a swage you drive into the tube, but it also has an outer impact ring that you clamp around the mag tube, then strike with a hammer...see pic. I'm thinking we can try to clamp this ring over the end of the problem mag tube, then use vice grips or channel locks and try to twist it off. The key will be to get enough clamp force with the wrench that it doesn't slip, a large pair of vice grips like in the pic would give the best chance. Comments?

Attachments

• MagEx Dual Rail + Dent Tool.png
    MagEx Dual Rail + Dent Tool.png
    300.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 21
Larger pic from above:
index.php

TexasShotgunner. Nice idea. My fear with this would be over-torquing the mag tube and possibly twisting it. It’s pretty thin sheet metal and it the tube is super tight in the receiver it might be a problem.

Last edited:
Back