• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Making a Shockwave into an AOW - Crazy, Right?!

Mossback, if you have a "real" gunsmith (vice a typical firearms retailer) in your area they may have an assortment of takeoff or used barrels at reasonable prices. I've seen tables full from time to time at various shops. You might be able to pickup a barrel and practice your new found skills while waiting for a weapon. Plus doesn't hurt to have a spare barrel laying around.

These guys will also look out for something you need if you get to know them.

Regards

I think with some practice I could do a decent job on shortening the barrel. But that is not the only gunsmithing required for the "hacksaw" method of getting me my AOW. I will need to cut the mag tube, close it up in a way that doesn't look too Bubba, and connect the mag tube to the barrel. I see further complications there. Shockwave USED to make a "medium Bubba" solution, called the Shockwave Raptor Lug. This both capped the magazine tube and connected it to the barrel:

Shockwave Raptor Lug Kit Hi Res.jpg
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/si...ructions-for-Raptor-Lug-M500-v1.1-26JAN16.pdf

Shockwave has discontinued them, and I can't find one anywhere. I suspect sales kind of evaporated when Mossberg brought out the factory built Shockwaves.

I am starting to think the hacksaw method is not worth the trouble - I think I will run into unforeseen difficulties and expense along the way. If I have to send anything to a gunsmith it will quickly get expensive, and I may end up with something that looks more Bubba than I like anyway. I am leaning back towards my original plan of using a stock Shockwave, a middleman FFL in another state, and swapping barrels. Does anyone know of any 18 inch barrel that will fit on a Shockwave so I can bring it in state?

You guys like my new avatar? It's not that like the band that much. Smashing Pumpkins is one of my primary intended uses uses for my planned AOW. Some guys like to put skulls and stuff on their weapons. I'm thinking about naming this one "Smashing Pumpkins" and putting a band sticker on the grip. Because I am not entirely convinced of the suitability of these things for serious duty. I have a Winchester Defender with an 18 inch barrel, 12 inch LOP, and seven round tube in primary position for HD, and a Mossberg 500 right behind it. I'm gonna have to smash a lot of pumpkins before I change that order.

I think it should be highly effective for exploding cabbages as well, but I don't know any bands with that name or any logos, so I went with Smashing Pumpkins.

Seriously, fun with destroying fruit and vegetables is only one of the goals of this project. I also feel that it is important to assert the gun rights we have. In this area, my state is pretty restrictive, but there is this one path to a mock Shockwave (a "Mockwave"?) so I want to use it. If rights aren't exercised they wither away and disappear.

Back