• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mav. 88 shootin high?

I recently bought my second Maverick 88 18.5 inch barrel defense shotgun. My eyes far away are as sharp as an eagles but up close i need glasses or something bright to aim. I put a Hi Viz snap on tactical sight on my gun, i like the tactical model as it has metal inside the plastic. When i fired with J.M. 7/8 ounce slugs offhand the gun at 50 yards, the slug went about 6 inches high, groups were within an inch or so, so it groups good. I then tested with AA heavy target 7.5 shot, the AA kicked harder than the slugs. The AA shot went about 2-3 inches above center, both the slugs and shot, shot center just high. Could it be the Hi Viz sight?, if I take it off though, the bead will be lower set than the fiber optic and won't it shoot even higher? Also I can barely see the little bead. Thanks for any help.

My comments are based on not knowing your expertise so take this only as something I've seen with folks initially shooting short barreled shortguns.

Many (most) have a tendency to initially pull their shots high and to the left (assuming a right hand shooter) when shooting off handed.

My recommendation is to fix the gun solid to a shooting bench so it only moves rearward with recoil and repeat your test shots to see if your sights are actually off or if you are pulling the shots high. The bench will allow you to consisently hold the bead top on the target. Once you know the issue it's easy to correct.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Regards

Actually, if the hi viz sight is taller than the bead or irons or whatever the guns have, that would actually lower the impact from what it would be. So, taking it off, would likely cause the POI to be even higher than it is now. Provided that it was right to begin with.

Another thing. Is distance you're shooting. Trajectory is generally a rainbow arc. There will be two points in front of you where the path of the bullet (slug) will be exactly your point of aim.

Anything shorter or longer or in between those two specific places, will be a little high or low.

That's just how bullets work. Even BB's in a red ryder work that way.

If worse comes to worse, you could install a red dot mount and zero for whatever distance you are wanting it to be. If the 88 doesn't have a threaded receiver, you can do that easily with a 6-48 tap. And you can get cheap rails on ebay for a few dollars. Most of them even comes with their own screws. It's not that hard of a job.

qWNOlJU.jpg

The hardest thing is trimming the screws without messing up the threads. You have to measure each one and trim accordingly depending on how the inside of the receiver is made and the necessary clearances. I just use a drop of white out.

F9H8bY2.jpg

0sNpFbn.jpg

RWLJVQO.jpg

GPUUFML.jpg

Are you getting your head down so your eye is at the receiver level and not above it?

Are you aiming with the sight in the center of the bullseye/target or below it?

For me most non-ribbed short barrels shoot high. It has to do with the contour of the barrel putting the bead below the level of the receiver.

Some berrels just arent true and there is not much you can do.

Lots if factors at play that could be operator and/or equipment related.

Eye level with receiver and fiber optic sight dead center on target.
If you align so the bulseye is above the front sight does it still shoot high or does that bring it down into the point of aim?

You may have to adjust a little or go with a taller frint sight

We do a lot of slug shooting at ~75-100 yds. and have this same problem. We tend to have to hold 16"-20" low at that range just to hit the target! We just released our new "HighBall" front bead that compensates for the factory bead being lower than the receiver (link below). Might want to check it out! Hope this helps.

"Highball" Front Bead

You don’t really aim a shotgun, you point it. If you’re after accuracy then pick at max and min yardage and tailor the sight system to suit.

You don’t really aim a shotgun, you point it. If you’re after accuracy then pick at max and min yardage and tailor the sight system to suit.
As an avid turkey and deer hunter I beg to differ. There are certain types of shooting the definitely require aiming a shotgun.

Update: I found with the J.M Fiocchi 7/8 slugs that at around 40-50 yards I was 6" high with good groups but I set up at around 80-100 and they were much closer to the center. I also decided to take half the fiber optic bead and when I did that they centered at 40-50 and I will take a whole bead at near 100. I have decided however to use either Remington 1oz sluggers or Federal 1oz slugs, they kick like a mule but they are almost center at 50 and dead even at 80-100 with fantastic groups for a smooth bore, so they shoot with a much straighter line but they do kick like a mule. Thanks

Back