• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 20 gauge

I was at Dicks Sporting Goods and found a Maverick 20 gauge youth model for $190.00. Had the short reach for the fore end and 22" barrel. Plan on it being a turkey gun. Took it out this afternoon with some turkey loads. Slightly more recoil than my wood Mossberg 20. Put a modified tube in it and some 3" #2 steel. They had a better pattern than most lead loads. One place I hunt is next to WPA land and want the steel to go on that property. A few buckshot shells through it to test. Very impressed with the gun compared to the Mossberg Youth wood model that cost me almost twice as much. I would recommend the Maverick to anyone wanting a good shotgun at a fair price. Going out turkey hunting tomorrow to try my luck.

Also when I went to pay for it the cash register rang it up at $219.00. Seems someone forgot to change the hangtags when the sale ended. Manager was not impressed but he gave it to me for the $189.00

Nice score ! Im pretty convinced from my testing 22" may be the sweey spot for the 20 gauge combined with youth stock its a hard to beat combination. Good luck on your turkey good too.

Yeah, I like shorter barrels too. 24" barrel is more than enough.

20-22" are among my favorite barrel lengths for hunting.

Smart shopper you are, Dave, and congratulations! I have the identical weapon to yours and I really like it. I know you'll enjoy yours, too. Got mine for the same price as you thru Davidson's Gallery of Guns at a local pawn shop of all places. Shipping and FFL transfer fees added $9.99, plus the obligatory state sales tax. My original intent was to get something my little Wifey could handle for home defense, but now I also sense some skeet/trap range time ahead. I swapped out the modified choke that came with it and have installed a cylinder bore and also have a skeet choke for clays. So far I've only put buckshot and slugs thru it, tho. Accurate and smooth weapon. Enjoy, and don't forget to tell us about your turkey hunt.

-Ed-

No luck with the turkeys. Took it out to the range before deer season with some Federal Truball slugs. Thought maybe I would use it deer hunting. I suck with open sights. Decided that the Mossberg Patriot in 7mm-08 would be my choice. Turkey opens up after deer season. It should be good for rabbits this winter when we get some snow.

Well, Dave, like they say in baseball: "Wait 'til next season." Not sure what state you live in, but many states have spring and fall turkey seasons. Rabbits should be good exercise for your Mav, right? :)

I have the 22" VR camo barrel on my 500C (20G) and it is really nice for turkey. I mounted fire sights on the VR to use it for deer or turkey.

The 24" barrels are nice as well and the shortest I see any more.

Our fall in WI is interrupted by the 9 day deer gun season. During the muzzle loader and antlerless hunts you need orange. May get some turkey hunting in late in Dec.

I have the 22" VR camo barrel on my 500C (20G) and it is really nice for turkey. I mounted fire sights on the VR to use it for deer or turkey.

The 24" barrels are nice as well and the shortest I see any more.
How do you like the Firesights. I have the Mossberg vent rib fiber optic sights right now.

How do you like the Firesights. I have the Mossberg vent rib fiber optic sights right now.

I like them but they need light to function. They are hit or miss in really low light. How much they glow is dependant on the direction and intensity of the light source. Unfortunately that is the case with all fiber optic sights.

Went to a local gunshow yesterday. Found a 24" smoothbore Slugster barrel. Hope to get out and test it this week. We have a 4 day antlerless next weekend. Would be nice for some of the wooded area we hunt.

Back