• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 for the range and HD

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Hey guys, I gave a brief intro in the introduction section. Figured this was a good place to showcase my Mav.

Love this gun, it is my first Mossberg of I'm sure many. I wanted a gun for HD purposes, and to shoot some trap. Eventually I want a single shot or O/U for the range when I have the coin. The Mav came with the 28" field accuchoke II barrel. I purchased it at Dick's sporting goods for $219, which I thought was fair with the long barrel. First time shooting trap with my buddy and my new gun, shot a 17, 15, and a 19. Not bad for a newbie to trap.

For HD use I ordered the 18.5" special purpose barrel, part # 90015. Cabela's had it in stock online for $99. It is always on the mossy at home with five rounds of federal 00 buck in the tube.

So for $319 plus ammo I have a HD and pretty good trap shooter which I think is incredible. This is one of the best values in shotguns. Here's my two setups, first is at home ready to go, and second is about to head out to the range. Next up is a flashlight and/or laser when I find an affordable option.
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367071947.264716.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367071947.264716.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 694
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367071960.790747.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367071960.790747.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 693

old mossy

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
congrats on your new mav 88. good combo choice, sounds like you have it covered.
enjoy. :D
 

Tony617!

.270 WIN
If you want a light get a LaserLyte tri-rail and a Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-1s. It's relatively cheap and my TLR-1 still works after hundreds of rounds of full power 00 buckshot.

I did that for my 18.5" Maverick 88 but I have a TLR-2 light. That light also has a laser but I just use the light.

hyneneje.jpg
 

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Thanks for the congrats and welcomes guys. I like that setup Tony, the tri rail is a must. Question for you, I notice the tube on your Mav is quite a bit shorter than the barrel. Is that the 18.5" barrel or is the tube smaller than the 5+1? My tube is only an inch or so shorter than the barrel.

The streamlight is sweet! I trust my life in a house fire to a streamlight so I guess the same should go for my HD gun. I see amazon is about a Benjamin and some for one. There are cheaper but I doubt they are the quality.
 

Tony617!

.270 WIN
NYmossyMike said:
Thanks for the congrats and welcomes guys. I like that setup Tony, the tri rail is a must. Question for you, I notice the tube on your Mav is quite a bit shorter than the barrel. Is that the 18.5" barrel or is the tube smaller than the 5+1? My tube is only an inch or so shorter than the barrel.

The streamlight is sweet! I trust my life in a house fire to a streamlight so I guess the same should go for my HD gun. I see amazon is about a Benjamin and some for one. There are cheaper but I doubt they are the quality.

No my Maverick 88 is (5+1) and it has an 18.5" barrel. I did change the buttstock to a Hogue overmolded 12" LOP instead so it is about 2 inches shorter.

If your magazine tube is shorter then you may need to get a CDM Gear MTR light holder instead:

http://www.cdmgear.com/

Here's a picture of my tri-rail:

equ8unyt.jpg
 

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Took a closer look today, Tony your totally right. The tri rail will work which I'm so glad about that looks awesome. Love this site guys!
 

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Laserlyte tri-rail ordered should be here any day. $26 on amazon, sweet deal!

So now flashlight / laser... Anything else cool that can attach to the piccatinny rails?
 

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Laserlyte Tri-rail installed. That couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes. They even give you the hex wrench.
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367807039.070532.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367807039.070532.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 531

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Not really sure, I want the streamlight cause I know the brand is one to trust. However, I would like a laser / light either combo or individual and the SL ones are not so cheap. I'm also into the green lasers for some reason, they look great. Laserlyte makes some amazing lasers but huge $. There's a mess of them on eBay and amazon but I don't want to go too cheap and the thing is junk. The gun will rarely be fired with them mounted since I will remove them for trap shooting with the short barrel.

Gonna do some research and post up some options. The lights with cord and switches do they have an adhesive or it that a magnet?
 

Tony617!

.270 WIN
NYmossyMike said:
Not really sure, I want the streamlight cause I know the brand is one to trust. However, I would like a laser / light either combo or individual and the SL ones are not so cheap. I'm also into the green lasers for some reason, they look great. Laserlyte makes some amazing lasers but huge $. There's a mess of them on eBay and amazon but I don't want to go too cheap and the thing is junk. The gun will rarely be fired with them mounted since I will remove them for trap shooting with the short barrel.

Gonna do some research and post up some options. The lights with cord and switches do they have an adhesive or it that a magnet?

Be aware that if you mount a light/laser combo that you my need to re-aim your laser. I know since bought a TLR-2 light which is a light/laser combo. Every time I took the light/laser off to clean my shotgun I had to re-aim the laser. That is why I just have a light on my shogun now.
 

Shoten

Hatebreed Pit Crew
Sponsor
Is there really a need for a laser other than looks? I'm sorry if I sound condescending, but I personally don't see the point. A light I could see, but not so much the laser part. I mean yeah they look cool, and serve a purpose of say "hip firing and POI", but should you really be "hip firing" a shotgun in your home?
 

old mossy

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Archametes said:
Is there really a need for a laser other than looks? I'm sorry if I sound condescending, but I personally don't see the point. A light I could see, but not so much the laser part. I mean yeah they look cool, and serve a purpose of say "hip firing and POI", but should you really be "hip firing" a shotgun in your home?

mine works,,,,
 

Attachments

  • double barrel.jpg
    double barrel.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 485

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Well the laser aiming thing brings up another issue which your right is a pain if you remove it to have to realign. I don't think they serve much of a purpose other than looks. I guess in a certain HD scenario you could leave the light off and just turn the laser on but I dunno I would need to have both to really get a "feel" for it. It all goes back to the giving a warning or not thing under the right circumstances.

When you see a laser dot on your chest in a home you just broke into I guess your being properly warned. But we all know things don't go as planned in an extreme pressure situation like that. Hell I do sleep much better knowing this Mav is there just in case though.

Oh and those five shells of high brass are Federal 00 buck, alway in the tube at home.
 

Tony617!

.270 WIN
NYmossyMike said:
Well the laser aiming thing brings up another issue which your right is a pain if you remove it to have to realign. I don't think they serve much of a purpose other than looks. I guess in a certain HD scenario you could leave the light off and just turn the laser on but I dunno I would need to have both to really get a "feel" for it. It all goes back to the giving a warning or not thing under the right circumstances.

When you see a laser dot on your chest in a home you just broke into I guess your being properly warned. But we all know things don't go as planned in an extreme pressure situation like that. Hell I do sleep much better knowing this Mav is there just in case though.

Oh and those five shells of high brass are Federal 00 buck, alway in the tube at home.

I don't have problem with a laser but be prepared to realign it when you have to clean to. Also over time the shotgun recoil reduces the laser's accuracy so you need to realign it again. That's what I encountered with my TLR-2.. I believe my laser held for 30-40 rounds shooting full power 00 buckshot before I had to realign it again. That's why I just have a light.
 

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
I noticed a product that is a 12ga casing with a laser that shines down the center of your barrel sort of a poor mans way of sighting in your shotty. I imagine that would work well for realigning the laser as well.
 

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Ok going to revive this thread because I did a few more mods to my mav88 recently. Bought a light finally, but cheaped out and got a NCstar off amazon. I really wanted a streamlight but with another child two months away priorities have taken over. Actually much better built than I expected and bright as hell. It will only see rounds in an HD scenario so if it lasts one shot I'm happy.

I decided maybe next season the maverick may do triple duty, HD, trap, and hunting. I picked up at wally world yesterday a weaver rail kit for scope mounting. Friend suggested Bushnell banner scope for about 75 bucks. Need to do some research. I have a BSA on a Savage Axis 30-06 which I like as well.

My 28" field barrel has a modified choke, is that OK for slugs? Same friend suggested a reticle scope for HD duty, is that being ridiculous?
 
Top