• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 for the range and HD

NYmossyMike said:
Ok going to revive this thread because I did a few more mods to my mav88 recently. Bought a light finally, but cheaped out and got a NCstar off amazon. I really wanted a streamlight but with another child two months away priorities have taken over. Actually much better built than I expected and bright as hell. It will only see rounds in an HD scenario so if it lasts one shot I'm happy.

I decided maybe next season the maverick may do triple duty, HD, trap, and hunting. I picked up at wally world yesterday a weaver rail kit for scope mounting. Friend suggested Bushnell banner scope for about 75 bucks. Need to do some research. I have a BSA on a Savage Axis 30-06 which I like as well.

My 28" field barrel has a modified choke, is that OK for slugs? Same friend suggested a reticle scope for HD duty, is that being ridiculous?

First out,congrats on the new baby on the way. :)

You should be fine with the modified choke and slugs.

Scope for HD,,,,can't see any use for it.

old mossy said:
NYmossyMike said:
Ok going to revive this thread because I did a few more mods to my mav88 recently. Bought a light finally, but cheaped out and got a NCstar off amazon. I really wanted a streamlight but with another child two months away priorities have taken over. Actually much better built than I expected and bright as hell. It will only see rounds in an HD scenario so if it lasts one shot I'm happy.

I decided maybe next season the maverick may do triple duty, HD, trap, and hunting. I picked up at wally world yesterday a weaver rail kit for scope mounting. Friend suggested Bushnell banner scope for about 75 bucks. Need to do some research. I have a BSA on a Savage Axis 30-06 which I like as well.

My 28" field barrel has a modified choke, is that OK for slugs? Same friend suggested a reticle scope for HD duty, is that being ridiculous?

First out,congrats on the new baby on the way. :)

You should be fine with the modified choke and slugs.

Scope for HD,,,,can't see any use for it.
Thank you Mossy! Have a 3yr old son at home and this will be my first daughter.

Great, I know sabots are no go but I was looking at some Hornady slugs.

Neither can I. He is a big AR fan and has a reticle red dot sight on one of them which is really cool but for a shotty I don't think so.

Back