• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 problems

Mr T G

Copper BB
Shotgun has fired about 100 shells and always cleaned after. Recently it has stopped firing for no apparent reason. it feels like the trigger is stuck but only on live shells. It will fire dry, It will fire with snap caps, loads and ejects just great but load any sort of live shells and it will not allow the trigger to pull and will not fire. Tried 6 different brands of shells but no difference. The action seems smooth with some amount of resistance as the left extractor rubs past the eject screw but the bolt seems to locate just fine. I cleaned it before a trip to the range yesterday, it fired the first round good, ejected and loaded no problem but then the tried to pull the trigger and the trigger feels stuck ( different feel than the safety being on).I'm thinking that something is out of alignment, any help would be good.

Thanks for the reply, I have stripped it down numerous times for cleaning but don't see anything or reason why it would not fire. As per thread it will dry fire and fire no problems with snap caps but not live rounds...

Welcome, Mr T G. I'm afraid I'm not much help. either. I've never heard of a problem such as this. I bought my Mav 88 four years ago and have put close to 1000 rounds through it. Never a hiccup with any brand of ammo. Did you buy your Mav new? Perhaps Mossberg could be of some technical help. Whatever the problem is I hope you can get it squared away soon. Such a shame for a usually exceptional "truck gun". Best to you.

Try taking a fired shell, one that worked in your gun and see if that frees the trigger up.
One other thing, when you cleaned the gun did you take off the stock?

Old Mossy, no did I did not undo the stock. I took out the trigger group and did a complete dissasembly etc. I didn't see any reason to take the stock off. Did I miss something in there perhaps?
I'm heading down to the range today to try the gun again after I cleaned it last time.
If I can get a shell to fire I'll keep the spent shell and see if it was luck or something else. Still no ideas as to why snap caps will fire but not live shells.

The only thing you may have missed with the stock, is the bolt that holds the stock on. Especially if it has an aftermarket stock or bolt that is too long, may protrude too far into the receiver and mess with the safety or the hammer. I learned this the hard way with an aftermarket stock/bolt when I didn't put the correct spacer in the stock and broke the tab on the rear of the trigger that corresponds with the safety.

At any rate, if it doesn't work when you take it back out after cleaning and reassembling, give mossberg a call and let them fix it.

Well, as if by magic I had a lot more success today, I think I forgot to mention that the gun is new, well it was last December only having maybe 150 shells through it. It may just be some of the newness or something as today it chomped through a box of challenger target rounds with only 1 trigger snag. I reloaded the round that had caused problems and it fired. Now after that box I tried some Federal shells which are steel instead of brass and managed to get about 5 shells through it before it started to play up. Could it be something with brass and steel ?
Somewhat new to this. I wanted to thank you guys for the replys and apologies for the late response, I have not had chance to visit the range until today.

The gun should not make a difference between brass or steel hull shells. It should shoot either.

I'd contact mossberg. The chamber of that barrel may need some work.

Back