• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Is Mossberg still making the non-HD barrels for 8 and 9

movealongmovealong said:
I've got a 12ga Maverick 88 Security 8-shot 20" barrel and I wanted to get a #90241 barrel (blued 28" VENT RIB PORTED) for, for sport use. I heard they are not making these barrels anymore, or perhaps only making a run of them at the factory occasionally when there are enough orders, but I've been unable to get ahold of Mossberg and verify lately (which I'm guessing is due to the current "gun panic") even though I've tried calling and emailing them (no answering the phone/no email reply).

So, does anyone know if they are still making these? Seems like a lot of people buy 20" pumpers, but maybe not enough to justify the manufacturing costs. Anybody got some current information on this?

Oh yeah.. my first post! Woot! :D

welcome from NY. not sure if mossberg has them. give them a call or email @
customer service (800) 363-3555
Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com

i see midway stills sells them,but are out of stock right now.

Barrel/Magazine update on Maverick 88

I'm looking to update my Maverick 88 to a 18.5 or 20" barrel, 7 shot magazine and tactical stock/forearm. I'll need to change the forearm to a Moss 500 style, as well new magazine and barrel. Looking for suggestions/part numbers on the barrel/magazine/forearm switch.

And before it's suggested, there just aren't any Maverick 88 20" 12 gauge available around here. :(

Thanks,

Jeff

Mix and Match Barrels for Maverick 12 ga ??

Will a Maverick 12 ga reciever accept a heavy walled barrel from a 590A1 if the size of the magazine tube is correct? This should be an easy one.

Re: Mix and Match Barrels for Maverick 12 ga ??

Morgan said:
Will a Maverick 12 ga reciever accept a heavy walled barrel from a 590A1 if the size of the magazine tube is correct? This should be an easy one.

the receiver will accept it but you will need to change the mag tube for a 590 type.(11241)

Re: Mix and Match Barrels for Maverick 12 ga ??

Thanks' Experts, appreciate the feedback and the advice.
....ken

Which barrel to use?

Hey whats up guys/gals?

I currently have a maverick 88/mossberg 500 shotgun with the 28' barrel but I want to use it for home defense and maybe later on go hunting so my question, is it worth it to get the 18.5 barrel? would the 28' barrel be okay for home defense?

Sorry for the noob questions but im new to all of this.
Thanks for any help :mrgreen:

Re: Which barrel to use?

The only real benefit to the 18.5" barrel is that is will be a little easier to maneuver in tight places.

You will be giving up the ability to use choke tubes (unless you send it in and get drilled for them.)

It is otherwise functionally about the same as any other barrel.

Hey welcome from NY!

viewtopic.php?t=8184

Here is one of my threads about my Mav which was the same setup. I bought the 28" field Mav88 but bought the 90015 18.5" barrel for HD purposes. It is so easy to change that it can really be a dual purpose shotty. The only negative I can see is if you start changing anything else like stock or laser/lights they might be more difficult to switch.

MikeD said:
The only real benefit to the 18.5" barrel is that is will be a little easier to maneuver in tight places.

You will be giving up the ability to use choke tubes (unless you send it in and get drilled for them.)

It is otherwise functionally about the same as any other barrel.

Thank you Mike for the help, I think i'll just stay with the 28'' barrel until I have some more flow and buy the 18.5 and keep both of them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NYmossyMike said:
Hey welcome from NY!

viewtopic.php?t=8184

Here is one of my threads about my Mav which was the same setup. I bought the 28" field Mav88 but bought the 90015 18.5" barrel for HD purposes. It is so easy to change that it can really be a dual purpose shotty. The only negative I can see is if you start changing anything else like stock or laser/lights they might be more difficult to switch.

Hey,

Thank you for the welcome and sharing that link. I think i'm going to do the same thing that you did and just have both of them. Have the 18.5'' on it at all times unless going hunting or to the range then I'll swap out the barrel.

Btw, here is my Mav. 88, i added the ATI stock and the tacstar shell holder.

hello MasterChief.welcome from NY. good looking mav88. :D

Is the barrel rifled?

I have a Maverick 88 Security model. I wanted to buy some slugs, but all I could find is slugs for rifled barrels. Am I correct that this shotgun does not have a rifled barrel? If so, what type of slugs can I use?

Re: Is the barrel rifled?

Brien said:
I have a Maverick 88 Security model. I wanted to buy some slugs, but all I could find is slugs for rifled barrels. Am I correct that this shotgun does not have a rifled barrel? If so, what type of slugs can I use?

you are correct,the barrel is not rifled.

IMO save your money,no need for rifled slugs.

Re: Is the barrel rifled?

Brien said:

Just about anything except a Sabot. You might want to download the Brenneke catalog which gives detailed info on their offerings: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/brenneke ... logue.html

PS: The 'rifling' on rifled slugs is not there to impart spin to the slug. It's only purpose is to allow the slug to be used in a choked smooth bore barrel.

Back