• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Which barrel to use?

If it's any confirmation, I'm doing the same. Bought the Mav 88 in 28", swapped to the Phoenix KickLite stock and waiting for cash to pick up the 18.5" barrel. Probably the breacher barrel, though it won't ever make a difference.

Other add-ons will be a B-Square side-saddle scope mount rail with a (probably)red dot sight of some sort and a Maverick Picatinny forearm with light.

Jeff

weaselfire said:
Probably the breacher barrel, though it won't ever make a difference.
If anything it would make it a better melee weapon if things ever went there for you lol

going from a 28 to an 18 will be very much nicer for indoor use and swinging the barrel quick, 10" on a barrel will feel like you got rid of a mile, you will really notice it

oli700 said:
weaselfire said:
Probably the breacher barrel, though it won't ever make a difference.
If anything it would make it a better melee weapon if things ever went there for you lol

going from a 28 to an 18 will be very much nicer for indoor use and swinging the barrel quick, 10" on a barrel will feel like you got rid of a mile, you will really notice it
Totally right, it's a HUGE difference. The weight is cut drastically and the maneuverability indoors is excellent, not to mention the look is awesome. What is nice is the 28" accuchoke is a pricy barrel so the fact you have that one already is great. The 18.5" cylinder bore is only $100 so it doesn't break the bank as bad. I bought my Mav88 at Dick's for $219 and the 28" accuchoke I believe is $180, so I basically paid 40 for the entire rest of the shotty. What an awesome deal from Mossberg.

NYmossyMike said:
I bought my Mav88 at Dick's for $219 and the 28" accuchoke I believe is $180, so I basically paid 40 for the entire rest of the shotty. What an awesome deal from Mossberg.
Same reasoning here, $199 at Walmart. I already knew I wanted to swap some things, so why start with a more expensive gun that had what I didn't want?

Jeff

oli700 said:

This is spot on. I was shocked how much lighter, and more maneuverable my 500 was when I went from the 28 incher to the 18.5". Everytime I swing the 28" barrel, it makes me think of the Bismarck and Johnny Horton's song. :mrgreen:

NYmossyMike said:
viewtopic.php?t=8184

Here is one of my threads about my Mav which was the same setup. I bought the 28" field Mav88 but bought the 90015 18.5" barrel for HD purposes. It is so easy to change that it can really be a dual purpose shotty. The only negative I can see is if you start changing anything else like stock or laser/lights they might be more difficult to switch.

I can't quite tell from the photos in your thread, but is your 88 parkerized? My 500 is parkerized. After I got my blued 18.5" barrel (90015) I was shocked how different it looked. I hadn't thought anything about it prior to getting it. I've gotten kind of used to it now, and it doesn't look too bad with the different finishes.

The finish in the 88 and the 90015 barrel are identical as far as I can tell. Which 500 do you have? Are there different finishes available on it?

NYmossyMike said:
The finish in the 88 and the 90015 barrel are identical as far as I can tell. Which 500 do you have? Are there different finishes available on it?

I've got a 500A that I bought from Dunham's. It came with a 28" Accu-Choke barrel and 24" scoped, rifled barrel. The finish on the barrels and mag tube are not blued. It's too light to be matte bluing, and definitely not gloss blue. The only other thing I can see it being is parkerized (it looks gray).

NYmossyMike said:
Are there different finishes available on it?
The barrels come in two finishes, matte and gloss. The gloss looks darker. The Maverick is normally matte finish.

Jeff

Mines regular blue my maverick the 18.5 is blue I bought a matte finish one took it back got the blued my 500a is parkenized as its a special hunter with the 28 ported vent rib and 24 slug barrels which mossberg discontinued .

I really need the groups help. I just purchased a Maverick 88 with 20" barrel in 7+1 mode. I have a 24" 500 Accu-Choke barrel as well from a previous gun. The magazine tube on my 88 is longer so the screw down on my 24" barrel is in the wrong place.
OK is there anyway to make this barrel swap work? can the mount on the 24" barrel be moved? Cam I buy a 5 shot MAG for my 88? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

welcome from NY and congrats on your new mav88.

the 5 shot mag tube you need is mossberg #10342.

yes. you will be good to go with the 5 shot mag tube and your 24" barrel.

Anyone know if there is a Tactical Choke addon for Mav88?

Looking for a tactical choke for Maveric 88 Security, is that posible?

Re: Anyone know if there is a Tactical Choke addon for Mav88

yes you can put a tactical choke on a mav88. you will have to have the barrel threaded.

...or you can replace the barrel with any Mav88 or Mossberg 500 barrel that is already set up for chokes...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
...or you can replace the barrel with any Mav88 or Mossberg 500 barrel that is already set up for chokes...

would this include the 90015 that I just ordered? (18.5" barrel)

Back