• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Cross-Bolt Safety

au01st

Is a safety REQUIRED?

So, I bought a barrel from a guy, and he threw in a bunch of spare parts. Actually, every spare part (trigger group, extractors, safety, etc) except the receiver, magazine tube, and spring. I've been looking for receivers and think I'll eventually be able to swallow the cost of a transfer here. So with a receiver for $30, $30 for the transfer, and $30 for a mag tube and spring, I should be able to build a fully functional gun for behind the couch for under $100. I've had lots of luck finding Maverick 88 receivers, and not so much finding Mossberg 500 receivers. The trigger assembly I have is for a 500, meaning, if I stick it in an 88, I will have no safety. Given that I live with one other person, this is not a big deal.

My question is, should I actually have to use this contraption, will the fact that there is no safety be a big deal?

Re: Is a safety REQUIRED?

That’s the kind of question you need to answer for yourself IMO. You have a ton of variables and situations that only you are privy to. would you have one in the chamber?, would you be able to stake someone’s life on the fact you will 100% know at all times the weapon has been unloaded or loaded or has one in the chamber ? Or 100% sure you will be the only one that will have access to it? Safeties have saved lives no doubt when used properly. I don’t know if one ever cost someone their life unless it was faulty. People do it though, just think it through from all your possible situations.

All of my guns are always loaded with one in the chamber, even the .22's and O/U (never know when a dove might fly across the yard, lol).

I just didn't know if there were any legal scholars on the site here, like there are on most gun sites.

So a 12 gauge shotgun with one 00 buck shell in the chamber, no safety, sitting behind the couch in a college town where threesomes are common…..I don’t have a college degree and I’m no lawyer but common since tells me you better take it with you when you leave the room or you might have to settle on one woman due to the process of elimination.

I have heard that every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. So me personaly I would wait for the correct receiver. Just my opinion.

oli700 said:
So a 12 gauge shotgun with one 00 buck shell in the chamber, no safety, sitting behind the couch in a college town where threesomes are common…..I don’t have a college degree and I’m no lawyer but common since tells me you better take it with you when you leave the room or you might have to settle on one woman due to the process of elimination.

Haha, I wish it was a common occurrence...

Yes, rack mounted on the back of the couch. I guess I could move this to the truck, where it'd sit behind the back seats.

Hey AU, I just went back and checked the thread "How do you store your SG at night" and maybe use this SG in the bedroom and lock it in the gunsafe during the day when you are not there. Just a thought. Clint

Well then I'd still have the same question: is a safety required on a gun?

And I have a mount similar to that one on the back side of the couch (not at the top, about a foot below the top of the back). I'd feel that there would be more chance for a mishap if I was carrying it back and forth every night versus putting it on the rack and not messing with it except for a range test every other month or so. The point was to have something cheap that would probably collect its fair share of dust.

Local shops here don't seem to have any interest in trying to help me locate a 500 receiver (or an 88 receiver for that matter). They seemed upset when I didn't want to pay $325 for an 88 with the 18.5" barrel after I asked to see a 500...guess I need to keep looking for a good shop.

Best way to look at it IMHO, no matter what scenerio you imagine, with WHATEVER happes with that gun, how would a LAWYER use the lack of safety against you in the event something DID happen no matter WHERE you kept it?

I would opt for a functioning safety even if it were never used. If it doesn't work, you can never say it was on safety.

Be on the safe side and get an 88 trigger assembly for less than than $35 I think. I prefer the 88 safety to the 500 safety. With trigger finger where it belong, it is real easy to remove the safety without re- positioning the hand. The 500 depending on the stock could be a bit cumbersome in the wrong position and might mean the difference in making your shot what ever the situation might be. IMO.

brain.jpg

plus this

Index_finger.JPG

is your safety.

If anyone has guessed, I dont' trust mechanical safeties

If you don't plan to shoot it, don't be pointing at it.

$30 for a receiver
$30 for a transfer
$30 for a magazine tube
----------
$90 to put a gun together without a safety
OR
$150 for a NIB maverick and a box of spare parts

Dunno is $60 gonna break ya?

I don't have a problem with leaving a loaded gun, safety off laying around but I sure would like to have the option. Who knows where you'll take that gun in the future?

I suppose the other option is to not leave a shell in the chamber which is a form of safety.

Fronty Owner said:
$30 for a receiver
$30 for a transfer
$30 for a magazine tube
----------
OR

Sure won't, but ya know how cheap gun guys are, haha!

So what about using it as a SHTF gun that I could bury in the yard with a box of ammo (properly prepared of course). No worry about safety if there is no law. And no pesky neighbors who'd notice me burying large packages in the yard (at least they haven't yet).

au01st said:
Fronty Owner said:
$30 for a receiver
$30 for a transfer
$30 for a magazine tube
----------
OR

Sure won't, but ya know how cheap gun guys are, haha!

So what about using it as a SHTF gun that I could bury in the yard with a box of ammo (properly prepared of course). No worry about safety if there is no law. And no pesky neighbors who'd notice me burying large packages in the yard (at least they haven't yet).

There aren't any bags on lyme involved, are there? :mrgreen:

receiver....$30
transfer....$30
magazine tube...,$30

safety....priceless

Is a safety required ?!....depends on when it comes up.

When you have it fully loaded...one in the chamber...and you want to render it safe....YES

In court, after a self defense shooting...YES

...as the prosecution will no doubt bring it up..."your Honor...> Gun had no safety as the builder did not think he required one...."

What's you butt worth ??!!

Expect the un-expected....wish for the best, prepare for the worst.

I still have SHTF guns and ammo I bought in the rust belt recession of the 80s. If the world doesn`t end soon, I dang sure am gunna miss it for old age!!!!

Buy good guns in perfect mechanical condition and store them properly. It`s the best long and short term solution. If a safety were to break during a shootout or hunt, you can certainly wing it by using no round in chamber as your safety, which of course would not apply till the shootout was over.

When you retire and want to sell your collection for a trip to Paris or whatever, whole guns sell. Ones with anything missing is a ^parts gun^and tends to be a nuisance.

I'm new to the forum, and brand new to shot guns. I'm also a lefty and obviously the trigger safety is set up for right handed shooters. Bass ackwards for me :)

Is there any (reasonable) way to reverse this, or do I just get used to using it this way?

Thanks!

Re: Mav 88 Special 12ga. - safety reversal

I know of some guns you can take the safety out and turn it the opposite direction to make it more left handed friendly, but not on a maverick that I am aware of.

Back