• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Cross-Bolt Safety

Re: Mav 88 Special 12ga. - safety reversal

I'd be afraid of disassembling the Maverick trigger group. Frankly, I think I'd just work around it. Glad I don't have to deal with being left handed. :cry: Take care. Tom Worthington.

A 500 with the top mounted safety would have saved you from this problem :?

Thanks for the help - looks like (for now) I'll just live with it. If someone comes up with a plan - I'll share it here as a follow up.

My workaround is to keep my 88 in a gun safe muzzle down, safety on 'fire' and no round in the chamber for normal circumstances (tranquil neighborhood, other adults in the house, burglar bars on all windows and doors). In an emergency, I would load a round as I was removing the gun from the safe.

In a high alert situation, which I have never had, I would have the gun loaded up with the safety on 'safe' and push the safety button leftward with my right thumb as I grab the gun. I practice this occasionally just to ingrain it on my mind.

My other HD shotgun is a 500. I find the safety more intuitive, but mine is a little stiff and no easier to use than the one on the 88. I like the 500 safety, but it seems to be the part most likely to cause problems so I can live with the 88's safety just fine.

bubba in c.a. said:
My other HD shotgun is a 500. I find the safety more intuitive, but mine is a little stiff and no easier to use than the one on the 88. I like the 500 safety, but it seems to be the part most likely to cause problems so I can live with the 88's safety just fine.

There are many aftermarket choices of safety's for the 500.
There is a thread on here all about them with pictures and testmonials from those of us that have switched them out.
I for one chose the ETA safety and have found it much easier than the stiff stock one.
http://elitetacticaladvantage.com/produ ... afety.html

whatever you do don't take an 88 trigger group apart. i speak from experience. could you measure and drill an 88 receiver to put a hole for a 500 safety?

Upinsmoke1 said:
Thanks, I think I've decided to live with it as it is. Doesn't sound like there are any easy options.

Attachments

• good idea.jpg
    good idea.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 91
Just a thought. In some states having a firearm in one's house is no problem unless it and ammo is accessible to a minor. Now this does not mean if you have no children in the house it's ok. The availability is the key to those laws and the lawyers love it, along with the anti gunners. As I said, just a thought.

I never have any use for a safety on any gun unless I have put it fully into battery with intent to actually shoot something (or someone) then changed my mind and decided to hold off on firing. That is the ONLY time I will ever use a safety. I think storing a hammerless shotgun cocked, with a round in the chamber is bordering on insanity. With or without a safety.

And if you ever have to shoot someone with your assembled-at-home-from-parts shotgun, lawyers will mop the floor with you. Concerns about it having a safety are moot and the least of your worries. You may still be alive after defending yourself, but your life will be ruined, you will most likely be bankrupt from legal fees if not also in jail.

Last edited:
Back