• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Forearms

Fronty Owner

.270 WIN
Maverick forearm

Is there any rhyme or reason to the forearms used on mavericks?
Day of week it was produced on?
supply on hand in Texas?

Re: Maverick forearm

I am not sure to be honest but I will try and track that down for you!

From Mrs. E at Maverick:

Maverick 88 forearm
- pinned bars with security style forearm
- has no anti rattle springs
- has bridges inside the forearm to prevent play

Mossberg 500 forearm
- pinned bars
- has anti rattle springs
- has dimples inside the forearm instead of bridges

then there are the 6-1/2" and 7-3/4" versions of the Mossberg 500 forearm.

It seems from other conversations, the shorter mossberg 500 forearm is used on field guns, but they may have the security forearm. The security version forearm is always found on security models (unless someone has changed it out, but that don't count)

I want to replace the plastic on my model 88 with good old wood. How is this done? The stock is easy. The forearm does not look so easy. In detail please so my simple mind can comprehend.

Dale

Re: Forearm replacement

Action slide assembly and Action slide nut from a 500 will be needed most likely. Most, and I say most because I have seen some that are different, have the fore-end that are pinned to the rods that move the bolt. You can get them from MidwayUSA.com.

Mossberg Action Slide Tube Assembly 7-3/4" Mossberg 500 A, 590 12 Gauge
Product #: 423284 Mossberg #: 11603 $54.99

Mossberg Action Tube Nut 7-3/4" Mossberg 500 A 12 Gauge, 590, 835
Product #: 331117 Mossberg #: 3408 $9.99

yeah, definitely need a new action tube.
natchez shooting sports or brownells or midway usa will have the parts you need.
the action tube in the maverick is either an inch short or its pinned in the case of the defense model.

Yep, mines pinned. OK when I get these new parts it may be obvious but how does the wooden forearm attach to the new 7-3/4" slide tube. Or will this be obvious when I have both in hand. Hey thanks a lot guys.

Dale

The Action Tube nut holds it on the the action tube. Might want to order a wrench for the nut also. Hogue makes a 1 inch long nut for shorter action tubes also. The fore-end just slips over the action tube.

Might do a search for the owners manual. At the end of the manual for the 500, it will have an exploded view of the most common parts.

Even when it is a back order from Midway, it has been my experience that it is still fairly quick service.

thanks nasa. Looks like even I can handle that task.

How about another question. How do you properly determine the correct stock length so that the gun is as comfortable as it can be? I would like to become familiar with the weapon by using it properly. Perhaps clay destruction or a tad of skeet.

Dale

If you're having problems comfortably tucking the butt into your shoulder or feel like you're having to reach out too far to manipulate the action, then you may need to consider a shorter LOP. If not, run it as is and practice, practice, practice...

nasa said:
The Action Tube nut holds it on the the action tube. Might want to order a wrench for the nut also. Hogue makes a 1 inch long nut for shorter action tubes also. The fore-end just slips over the action tube.

Might do a search for the owners manual. At the end of the manual for the 500, it will have an exploded view of the most common parts.

Even when it is a back order from Midway, it has been my experience that it is still fairly quick service.
you dont say...

Im gonna have into that so I can put my knoxx forearm on my maverick.

dpc.... If you want the gun to fit the best, you might hire a gunsmith for a 1/2 hour or so and get it properly fitted

Maverick 88 Forearm Replacement

I know the 88 has some varied forearm set ups. Is this the reason no one makes a tactical replacement forearm for them? Or is there someone who does? I'd like to have a replacement with a single rail that a vertical fold down grip could be attached to. How about it ATI :?:

Re: Maverick 88 Forearm Replacement

To upgrade your Maverick fore-end that is pinned, you need to acquire an action slide tube for a 500. They can be had at MidwayUsa fairly cheap. You will also need an action tube nut that holds the fore-end when put onto the action slide tube. If you do this, the only difference between your Maverick and a Mossberg will be the location of the safety and I prefer the safety location on the Maverick.

So supposedly a 500 fore end can be modified to work on an 88. Several suppliers that sold replacement pieces for 500s told me they won't fit 88s because of the pinned set up. They didn't offer any advice on how to modify a 500 piece to work. Maybe they're not aware of how to do it.

I appreciate the info. I ran the search for your thread, but all I got was brought right back to these posts. Any idea what I might have done wrong? I'd really like to make this swap work so I can install a actical kit on my 88. Thanks.

Ok, I found the tube assembly and nut on Mid USA. Tube is 7 5/8 or whatever. This tube assembly for a 500 is supposed to interchange with the pinned one on the 88. As long as I make sure the replacement fore end fits the "long" tube assembly I'm good to go. Right?

Back