• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Heat Shields

Re: Need heat shield options for my 88 and not ATI

i would speak to Chris at C&D a vendor here. maybe he can hook you up.
he's also a member here. cdarmssupply

We sell the Black Aces Tactical rail that is a quad rail system. Runs along the top and provides 4 way quad rail I'm the front. Allows you to mount any rifle accessory on your shotgun.

This is a simple 500 setup with the rail.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364916739.335100.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364916739.335100.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 283
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

michaeld1953 said:
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got that ATI heat shield for the Maverick 88 and it is a cheap piece of crap. I can not find another heat shield for it. Are there any ideas out there, suggestions will be appreciated, Mine is an 18.5" barrel. The good ones are made for 20" plus unribbed barrels. I have not found a single manufacturer. Is there anything out there? That thing they sent me was all metal to metal contact, no thanks.

You bought the old style. The new one has high temp polymer isolators. No metal-to-metal contact. It should fit an 18.5" barrel as the shield is only 16.5" inches long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All the parts on my maverick are from a 500. Including heat shield which is a Mossberg
pybyguhu.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Like I posted in the other thread, you bought the old style ATI, not the Halo. The Halo has high temp polymer isolators. No metal-to-metal contact. It should fit an 18.5" barrel as the shield is only 16.5" inches long.

I did not buy the Halo because they specifically said it would not work on a Maverick, so I bought the other and it was junk. I think I am going to get the Black Aces Tactical rail that is a quad rail system. And when the side saddle comes in, will mount it instead of the 3 Gun Gear 7 round side saddle. I can take the fiber optical sight off and install something else.

did you talk to Chris at C&D ?

I sho nuff did, just finished ordering what I needed and he has a customer and friend for life. Thank you Moss for the lead. Chris is first class!! Problem solved.

:D Got with Chris at C&D and putting on a full quad rail with the heat shield and side saddle. Cost me some bucks but worth it for what I bought. ATI and 3Gun Gear going back. Problem solved.
I am now going to bed. Shotgun is happy , I am happy, new friend and small business to deal with. C&D Arms Supply is awesome.

michaeld1953 said:
:D ATI is toast, Got with Chris at C&D and putting on a full quad rail with the heat shield and side saddle. Cost me some bucks but worth it for what I bought. ATI and 3Gun Gear going back. Problem solved.
I sent the solution to ATI about the problem but whether they will listen or not I don't know. I am now going to bed. Shotgun is happy , I am happy, new friend and small business to deal with. C&D Arms Supply is awesome.

Good deal! All that matters is your happy.

ATI was great to work with and told me to return for a full refund. Very nice folks. They knew the product has it's problems. I told them my thoughts were make the Halo 13.5" long for this and other guns and they have a winner and discontinue the current model. Thanks to ATI for being so understanding.

Post some pics when you're done. I want to see it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Glad I was able to help you out. The install instructions that come with the rail are not that clear so I posted color pictures on my site.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Chris

Chris where are the coloor pictures on your site? It says 10 minutes install time!! :)

Re: Problem with ATI heat shield and my solution

Finally got to test it today. The mag clamp held! No slip at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forget where I picked my polymer heat shield. I think it's one off ebay. Of course it slipped a bit. When I put the magpul forehand it rubbed as well.

I heated the oven up to like 150 degree on bake. Put the heat shield in on aluminum foil for 1 minute or less maybe once or twice. Just enough to get it to mold. NOT SOFT. ... anyway...

Molded the heat shield to fit the profile of the barrel snuggly and tightened up the little clamp a bit.

Once I got it where I liked it I put it in the refigerator for about 1/2 hour to set it (not the freezer).

Before install I used medium grade file not course to slightly break the sharp edge along the length of each side of the sheild.

really snuggled the screws not over tightend.

Now it clears the magpul for hand and hasnt slipped yet. Time and use will tell.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Seems to me the main problem is that everyone wants yadda yadda designed to fit their specific gun with such and such forearm and such and such barrel etc. It doesn't take a lot of brains to know that the ATI shields are designed to "BE FITTED" to as many diff guns as possible. That tends to imply that some minor fitting might be necessary on your, the user's, part. That back clamp thingy....if it's too snug on your barrel, open it. If it's too big, close it. If the forearm rubs, fix it. If you don't like the metal on metal contact, use a strip of thin rubber as was suggested. I mean, come on. Did anyone not know that??? Here's a tip; if you buy such and such a part, there's a pretty good chance that it might not perfectly fit the other half a dozen parts you've assembled. If it doesn't, that in no way makes it a bad part. Use your brain. Fit it or trade it.

And I have a couple of the Mossberg shields on my guns....and guess what? There's forearms that that shield won't fit.

Back