• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Mag Tubes/Springs

nasa

.270 WIN
The spring and follower in my 88 gets hung up if I load 5 shells. Figured that the problem may be too much spring when the spring is compressed but I can't seem to get the magazine tube loose from the receiver. Is there a trick to this? I figured it was similar to the big brother Mossberg's.

Re: What't the trick to removing the magazine?

need to heat the reciever end of the mag tube enough to break loose the locktight. After heated enough it should unscrew from the reciever.....lefty loosy righty tighty.A hair dryer should do it and a heat gun will do it.

I feel like a dummy but most of the things I learn in life I learn from experience.

The problem with the magazine feed was not the magazine tube, spring, follower or dirt.

The problem was with the tri-rail mount being clamped to tight causing a slight pressure on the magazine tube causing it to be so ever slight but still out of round. Just taking the screws loose and re-tightening the screws it cleared the problem.

Works like a real champion now.

Now thats a helpful tid bit for future problem solvers

8 round tube only hold 7 2 3/4 shells?

I just picked up a Mav88 12 with the 8 round tube and 20" barrel and love it. It's so much like my old 500 it's hard to believe they are that cheap. I did pick up some Winchester 00 buck in 2 3/4 and could only get 7 shells in the tube, the federal bulk from Wally World loads 8 just fine with the last one needing just a little persuasion. Shouldn't there be enough clearance to tolerate slight variances in case length from brand to brand?

Re: 8 round tube only hold 7 2 3/4 shells?

There are some very slight variances that can cause enough of a difference when stacked to cause that. Have you pulled out the follower and spring to see if the tube is clear, the follower is not double stacked, or otherwise set up properly?

Worth a look. and Welcome aboard!

The Maverick 88 & the Mossberg 500 with the 20" barrels are only 7 +1 capacity (8 shot total).

The 590 is the only 8 +1 capacity (9 shot total) pump being offered by Maverick / Mossberg.

Smitty

Smitty in CT said:
The Maverick 88 & the Mossberg 500 with the 20" barrels are only 7 +1 capacity (8 shot total).
imagesCARPJ11T.jpg

So is it normal that I can get 8 of the federal bulk pack shells in there?

No, but some shot shells are shorter than average just as some are longer than average, the hull measurement,2 3/4”, is taken from a spent shell and even some spent shells very a little.
These are all 2 3/4 ,If you look close you’ll see the two high brass Remington’s are holding the straight edge up above the rest
IMG_0790.jpg

Different payloads and charges, wad designs will make some finished shot shells different lengths. I have also heard complaints of 500 or Mav’s holding only 6 in the tube. They are designed for 7 but hold one more or less depending on ammo choice.

Got it, thanks oli. I love this gun in so many ways. You'd have a hard time believing that I bought it as a replacement when I sold all of my Saigas.

No problem, it’s a good gun that should be around for years and years, reliable as a hammer and cleaning is optional....lol

Hi DMan. And Mav88! Looks like these fellas got yall taken care of, good info and correct info!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners! :D

All of these are 2-3/4" shells, even that Rio 00B on the left. The unfired length is what is going to dictate how many you can actually load up in the tube.

1a784102.jpg

Some may differ with me but I have trimmed some off the magazine spring, restretched the spring in order to load that extra round. My 835 is a 9 + 1 that does not stick out past my rifled barrel. Feeds flawlessly.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I've heard that the follower sometimes is thicker/longer and will also vary the results of what shells you may fit 7 or 8 of in the tube

I have seen others modify the spring and sand/grind the follower down a little. I cannot speak for certainty on how to do it, but I know it has been done.

Back