• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action New Owner's Area

Newbee here and I have a question about my 88. I bought a 20" cyl. bore barrel (gun came original with a 28" barrel) and when I went to install the 20" barrel it became very obvious it wasn't going to fit. The barrel screw was approx 6" from the magazine, thus I was unable to secure the barrel. Seems I need a longer magazine. My question: Will a longer magazine fix my problem or do I need to sell the 20" barrel? Also, can I even buy a longer magazine or will a 500 magazine work?

Re: NEW Maverick 88 Owner

The 28" barrel that you have is designed for the 5 shot model whereas the 20" barrel that you have is designed for the 8 shot model. So you can either get a 20" barrel for the 5 shot or change your current magazine to 8 shot.

Thanks DH, think I'll get the 8" magazine from MidwayUSA on order and change her out.
Sparky45

Sounds great; keep us updated.

Another question: The barrel screw cap on the 28" barrel has a threaded hole in the center but my 20" barrel doesn't; can I switch the barrel screw cap(s) and if so, how?
Sparky45

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Sparky45 !!

Very happy Maverick 88 owner.

After a slight initial hiccup, I'm now tickled with my Maverick 88. :) I feel very confident that when I pull the trigger, it's always gonna go bang, and that's a pretty big deal to me. I'm also pleased with Mossberg customer service. Recently ran about 300 shells through it and not a single problem. Lots of the cheapest bulk birdshot I could find and a couple boxes of different buckshot loads. Too darned expensive to burn through a lot of buckshot.

It's a keeper and I hope the occasion arises for me to purchase more Mossberg firearms. :D Take care. Tom Worthington.

Re: Very happy Maverick 88 owner.

Awesome Tom. Glad you are enjoying your Mossberg and glad to hear you plan on buying more.

I just put my 4th in layaway at the local gun shop.

MikeD said:
Awesome Tom. Glad you are enjoying your Mossberg and glad to hear you plan on buying more.

What are you getting this time? Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
MikeD said:

What are you getting this time? Take care. Tom Worthington.

It's a used 935. I've been eyeing it for a while and no one has picked it up so I tagged it the last time I made it to the shop.

New Maverick 88 owner and first shotgun

I haven't shot a shotgun since I borrowed a 12 gauge pump 30 or more years ago to go duck hunting with a friend. Was looking for a starter, and project, gun and had been looking at a Remington 870 or Mossy 500 before finding this thing for $200 at WalMart.

28" field gun barrel, they didn't have any 18" barrels like I originally was looking for. Actually prefer the safety over the 500 I looked at, and it was $250 cheaper than the 500, $150 cheaper than the 870 they didn't have in stock.

Haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but after five stores I did find some 00 buck for it. I'll take it to a local indoor range this week and see how it does before deciding on mods for it.

Kind of excited about my first shotgun... :)

Jeff

Re: New Maverick 88 owner and first shotgun

welcome from NY and congrats on your new mav88. sounds like you got a great deal on it. you get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Based on my own experience, you are going to be very happy with your choice.

00 buck is harder to find, right now, than it usually is. However, it's currently a heck of a lot easier to find than many other defense calibers. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Got it to the range yesterday. Nice gun, smooth action, very accurate. Picked up a Limb Saver butt pad for it on the way home. :)

Jeff

Welcome from MI and congrats on your new gun!!

weaselfire said:
Got it to the range yesterday. Nice gun, smooth action, very accurate. Picked up a Limb Saver butt pad for it on the way home. :)

Jeff

I did the same thing as you. That Limbsaver will make you happy. Congrats on the new 88. tom. :cool:

First time owner, buying youth model, help!

I am trying to buy the 18.5" 20 gauge Maverick 88, but can't find it anywhere. All I can find in 20 gauge is the 22" youth model. I understand that it has a shorter stock. I am 6'1, 200 lbs and I want a full size stock. Can I buy the youth model and put a full size stock on it? Where can I guy just a generic, synthetic full sized stock for the 20 gauge youth model?

Thanks!

Re: First time owner, buying youth model, help!

I don't think they make a 20 gauge Maverick with a 18.5" barrel originally installed. However, you could use a 18.5" 20 gauge barrel meant for a 20 gauge 500.

I've bought a 20 gauge 500 with an 18.5" barrel as original equipment. I'm pretty sure the shortest barrel that comes originally installed on a 20 gauge Maverick is 26". Take care. Tom Worthington.

Hm it seems you're right. But regardless, is it possible to get the youth model and just stick a normal stock on it?

adamdunn said:
Hm it seems you're right. But regardless, is it possible to get the youth model and just stick a normal stock on it?

welcome to the club from NY.
yes you can put another stock on it.

what is the model # of the youth gun you found?

,,,,,or just buy the best priced mav88 20ga you can find with the LOP you want and order the barrel from mossberg,,,
#90035,,,,about $80. not on the web site,need to special order.
,,,and you have an extra barrel. :D

Back