• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action New Owner's Area

Hello from Argentina!

Merged Thread Hi Folks!

This is my first topic since I signed the guestbook. As I commented there, this is the Mav 88 I bought to a friend. It`s almost new but it`s an early model. It`s 24" barreled.
Here`s the script on the barrel:

A view of the mark stamp:

And a view of a "P" over the chamber (I don´t know what it means):

There`s any other marks or stamps in the barrel. I used a lot of Mossy 500 and some Mav`s, so as my friend told me I tought "well.. there can be no secrets in a Mav 88 for me"..oops!
The doubts turned up as soon as I got it: You`ll laugh if I said "where`s the other slide rail?" I was completely ignorant early models were single slide rail. Bad for me. I read before that some people doesn´t agree those early models.
But the most important (and first question) is...why there`s no "12GA" or something stamped in the barrel? and went worst: no "2 3/4 or 3"... it would be sure shooting mag shells? What means the "P" stamp? Since there`s nothing else stamped, I don´t know if it`s choked. Size of the bore is some 18,5mm so I supose the barrel is "Cyl". But as you can read, I`m sure of nothing now :oops:
Well, thanks in advance for any help! I could´nt find anything of that in internet.
Cheers!
Jorge

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 268
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 267
A few more pics

Hi guys;

Here you`re the three pics I posted in the guestbook:

file.php

file.php

file.php

As I said, it`s an early model. I read some bad references about those ones, but I can´t complain. It works like a new one (maybe the single rail makes feel the slider as "loose" but it`s just a feel).

Any info will be very appreciate (you can see there`s no factory markings on the receiver) :?: .
Cheers!

Re: Hello from Argentina!

You can send Mossberg an email with the serial number and they might be able to tell you what your gun left the factory as.

Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com

keep us posted.

old mossy said:
You can send Mossberg an email with the serial number and they might be able to tell you what your gun left the factory as.

Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com

keep us posted.

Thank you Norma! You`re right, I suppose it would be the right choice too. Anyway, maybe someone have experience with early models.
Regards!
Jorge

jorgedavidson said:
old mossy said:

Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com

keep us posted.

Thank you Norma! You`re right, I suppose it would be the right choice too. Anyway, maybe someone have experience with early models.
Regards!
Jorge

Ms. Norma is the contact at Mossberg.
My name is "old mossy" :)

Let us know what they say.

old mossy said:

Hi Old Mossy! As you said, I emailed Norma last friday; not answer until today... Maverick Arms Inc use to have a web page, but it`s offline now. I guess only left phone her (or don`t fire 3" shotshells :( ).

About the slugs, I could try disarm a shell and run the bullet w/ the wad inside the bore.
Does anyone know any method to know if a slug is tight/loose enough at the muzzle (I mean, because any unmarked choke)? Of course too loose will hit anywhere, but too tight I could screw up the barrel -or myself/someone-. I shoot muzzleloading smooth bores, so it may help although black powder works with very lower pressures. I guess there should be a similar way to test slugs for modern shotguns before firing `em.
Cheers!

Thanks again Old Mossy!
I`ll let you know if there`s any special recommendation, for my Mav and for any other user of those models.
Regards!
Jorge

Hi folks;
This is the resume of some questions I made to Joseph Zakher from Mossberg Co.
Hope it helps someone else:

When did start in production the Mav 88? Did the receiver or the mechanism changes since the first model?
The maverick 88 was introduced in the late 80’s given its name “88” the mechanism has not changed over the years.

My shotgun is "MV 699XX A". Is there a way to know the year of manufacture? Is sure shooting 3" shotshells?
The date of production of this serial number is not coming up that tells me it is an older one. perhaps one of the first runs. It is chambered for 2 ¾ and 3in shells.

The barrel has no stamps of "Maverick". Just the warning and the Maverick Arms address, and a "P" stamped over the chamber. Again... is it sure shooting 3" (magnum) shells on it?

As it uses the same barrel assembly for the Mossberg that is why there is no stamp of Maverick. The “P” stamp on top is a proof mark a high pressure shell to ensure steel. All of our barrel production goes through this. again just fine with 3in shells.

There`s no indication of the choke either (the barrel is 24" long and a diameter of some 18,5mm of bore at the muzzle).. is it "Cylinder" choke?, "Mod", "Full"? In relation with this.. is it sure shooting slugs or brenneke for big game?

On the left side of the barrel there should be a description of the gauge, length and choke setting. Please double check this for me.
I have not seen a barrel without those markings. I would ask for a photo of the firearm with barrel on to see completed view. Also check at the end of muzzle if there is a choke system. If I’m not mistaken those were fixed modified barrels and slugs will not be proper for it.

In fact, theres`s no marks or stamps. I sent Joseph a few pics with those areas unstamped. I`ll keep you updated!

Jorge

Thank you for the update. Glad to hear Joe was able to answer your questions.

I forgot pics:

Unstamped area (left view):

Usual marks (right view):

The mystery persists :?

Attachments

• blank side.jpg
    blank side.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
  • stamped side.jpg
    stamped side.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 99
Re: New 88 owner...field version.. by accident...

Thanks Rashad for posting this up. I'm new to shotguns and am learning from this post.

Merged Thread

Re: New 88 owner "wanna be"

I'm a wanna be too! I'm doing overtime today in fact so I can buy soon. Nothing like a 72 hr shift

Merged Thread

Hello from CA! Glad I found this forum. Just purchased my first firearm/gun for home defense and settled on the Maverick 88 Security 12 gauge 20". Looking forward to gaining more knowledge here.

I just picked up a new Mav-88 Security and upon opening the box, my initial thought is that I've never purchased a new firearm with so much oil in/on it. I realize that this is a good thing, but dang - the inside of the box looks like they shipped a pizza instead of a shotgun. Tomorrow I start the cleaning process before final assembly and maybe some field time, weather permitting.

I just picked up a new Mav-88 Security and upon opening the box, my initial thought is that I've never purchased a new firearm with so much oil in/on it. I realize that this is a good thing, but dang - the inside of the box looks like they shipped a pizza instead of a shotgun. Tomorrow I start the cleaning process before final assembly and maybe some field time, weather permitting.

Semi-related, but today I just picked up a Rock Island Armory M206 38Spl 2" snubnose revolver from Sportsman's Warehouse BF priced at $200. Out the door after sales tax and fees was under $220. :) The salesman inadvertently brought out the M200 which is the 4" barrel version and the particular specimen he showed me was literally DRIPPING with oil! :eek: I said to him "Did you just pull this out of the fryolator?" ;) We wiped the oil off the grip so I could get a "feel" for them since they are included with the M206 but skinny woods are installed. (reviewer pic with other grips shown below) Then he went and got MY M206 which was no where near as moist. :) The M200 is also BF-priced at $200. Both guns are well-rated and this would not be the first gun I bought AFTER having a considerable stockpile of ammo for it first... :D

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

m206lside.jpg m206rside.jpeg rock-island-armory-m200-revolver-1506806-2.jpg

Back