• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Stock Options

Re: L.O.P

The slip on limb saverds add a bit but the replacement pads replace the factory pad do not add much if any to the LOP.

Hogue makes some nice short LOP stocks. There are many adjustable LOP stocks available from various manufactuters or you can have one custom shortened by a gunsmith.

Re: L.O.P

Havent thought much about length really just heard if you add a limb saver it will add some to the stock will check out those hogue stocks!

Difference in 88 stocks (12 vs 20ga)?

Was looking at both:
- BLACKHAWK! knoxx SpecOps Gen II Adjustable Shotgun Stock #k07200-c
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Gen-II-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1808,165.htm
and the
- ATI Tactical Shotgun Adjustable Side Folding Stock with Scorpion Recoil System #A.1.10.1135
http://www.atigunstocks.com/mossber...ck-with-scorpion-buttpad-and-recoil-grip.html
In the "Fits:" areas they both list the Mossberg 500 and 88, but only in 12ga.

I was thinking that the 12s and 20s would be the same as far as accessories go.
No?

My plan was to buy a M88 in 20ga (less recoill than 12ga) and then further reduce the recoil by using one of these (or possibly a different) R/R stocks.

I really want my wife involved with shooting, and if I can negate most of the recoil I think she'd enjoy shooting a tactical-type shotgun...if she thinks it's cool-looking, she'll enjoy it more.

Any insight? Either on the choice of gauge or stock? Or anything else, for that matter...I'm a shotgun noob.

Thanks!
Radar*

*New member, haven't made my M88 purchase yet, first post on the forum

Re: Difference in 88 stocks (12 vs 20ga)?

looking around on amazon i see some adds say 12ga,,,,some adds say both. i would give ATI a call and speak with a rep. (800) 925-2522. just to be sure.

Most stocks for the 12g will fit a 20g. The 20g is slightly smalled so there will be a very slight overhang where the stock and receiver meet. The forends will not fit due to the smaller diameter of the magazine tube unless you can fabricate some type of shim

Some are not compatable due to tolerances around the bolt release. Its always best to ask the manufacturer or ask around to be sure.

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Re: My Phoenix KickLite stock came in

tomservo92 said:
Nick Burkhardt said:
Looks good. Is that the Phoenix Technology KLTM88 SHT-286? If so does anyone know if it will also fit the Mossberg 500? The stock looks the same as the more expensive Phoenix Technology KLT001 SHT-280 which also come with forend that I don't need.

It's the KLT001 SHT-280. It came with the forend (which I can't use unless I swap the slider tube on my Mav). It should fit a 500 just fine.
For anyone else, the SHT286 is the Maverick 88 version and the fo rend will fit on the Maverick's stock for end. Stock itself appears identical.

Jeff

Getting it in 12 ga would sure be easier, but I think I'm just going to have to figure in the workarounds on the 20ga. I think the 12 would be too much for the wife, even with a new R/R stock. :(

tactical stock for 88

Time to update the stock on my 88 to a tactical stock! I can get anti,blackhawk!, and phoenix down the road from me. I've read the reviews and watched all the YouTube vids I could! I'm leaning towards the kick lite because of the better access to the slide lock I hear people don't like the pistol grip much though! I haven't tried any of them so I'm relying on the great members on MO for help!

Re: tactical stock for 88

I only have experience with the ATI 6-position tactical stock. It has decent recoil reduction and the pistol grip is superb. It provides a very comfortable grip.

I sell pretty much only items I have used. I have Mesa Tactical kits on all my 500's and Remington's. very high quality and the kits come with the stock, pistol grip and all the hardware.

I would recommend adding a recoil pad on whatever stock you buy. 12 gauge to the shoulder without a recoil pad can be a bit much.

I have used ATI - not mine so only a few shots. Seemed decent but did not shoot it enough to base a real opinion on it.

Thanks so far guys! Love those mesa kits but a bit more than I can spend sadly! I'll wait for others to chime in as well

Phoenix KickLite all the way. Amazing recoil reduction and a decent stock. Not sure why people would complain about the pistol grip. It's a shotgun after all.

Jeff

I guess the biggest complaint is it isn't comfortable but your right it is a shotgun! The recoil pad looks pretty nice!

I have the ATI Talon 6 position stock on my 500 SPX. It works surprising well on the recoil and the new Talon pistol grip is awesome!

I like the ATI Talon as well, a buddy has it on his Remington 870. The pistol grip is different from the Phoenix but, for me, both feel fine. He has a Mako forend I like, but I'm not yet ready to do a forend swap. Might end up with the Ultimate Arms forend for the Maverick 88. Of course, I also need the side saddle mount for a red dot reflex sight and my 18.5" barrel still isn't in stock. :(

At least I have ammo! :)

Jeff

Back