• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Troubleshooting

After cleaning the gun are they scratches or gouges ? Surface scratches inside the receiver are normal.
With the gun clean,oiled and EMPTY, do you feel any binding when you rack it slow ?
These are a few things you can check. Remember the gun will be smoother as it breaks in.

Its more than just a surface scratch. It racks smooth, no resistance, no binding. It doesnt seem to be affecting the gun in any way that I can tell. I think I might have to shoot it a bit more and see if anything else appears but my guess is it might have been from the factory that way and I just noticed it while cleaning the gun for the first time. I appreciate your help. If you any suggestions please let me know.

I just bought a maverick 88 last night and it doesn't seem to be cycling rounds properly. In order to work the pump I have to press the action lock release button, even with rounds in it. I haven't had a chance to disassemble and clean it yet so I'm not sure if that could affect it.

SARmedic118 said:
I just bought a maverick 88 last night and it doesn't seem to be cycling rounds properly. In order to work the pump I have to press the action lock release button, even with rounds in it. I haven't had a chance to disassemble and clean it yet so I'm not sure if that could affect it.

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about your problem.
I don't know where you bought it,is there a chance you can take it back ?

Could be just a cleaning, or a problem with the trigger assembly.

Keep us posted.

I should update everyone, I completely forgot to.

I got the bolt and trigger assembly back, asked them what they changed and was told they replaced the trigger assembly entirely. The safety also felt considerably stiffer.

I reassembled it and took it out shooting, and it shot perfectly UNTIL I put the safety on to take a phone call, took it off and tried shooting. Click, same thing. Dented primer, no fire.

I put the shell back in, pushed on the safety and fired again and it shot.

Based on this, I feel fairly confident in saying that the safety on the 88 is the issue I'm having. I think if it's not fully pushed off of safety, that it somehow hangs up the hammer or something in the trigger assembly. I can't prove that, but the only FTF I had was after turning the safety on and back off...so it seems very, very likely.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have the problem pinned down. Keep us posted on your next outing.

Quote "I just bought a maverick 88 last night and it doesn't seem to be cycling rounds properly. In order to work the pump I have to press the action lock release button, even with rounds in it. I haven't had a chance to disassemble and clean it yet so I'm not sure if that could affect it." Unquote

When the slide lock lever is depressed, what other parts are activated? I've looked at the exploded diagrams, but can't make a connection to the parts.

I have yet to find a real good schematic of the trigger assembly.
I know one of the problems is the disconnector.
If you decide to try and fix it yourself,,,be careful they are tricky.

old mossy said:
I have yet to find a real good schematic of the trigger assembly.
I know one of the problems is the disconnector.
If you decide to try and fix it yourself,,,be careful they are tricky.

I was just quoting the OP's post where he had to activate the slide lock release to cycle every cartridge.

I am having no issues with my 500 yet, as I have not even fired it yet. LOL.

Here's a link to the best schematic I can find so far: http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Mos ... id160.aspx

I'd like to find a version that says what happens when certain controls are activated, such as the slide release lever. I know it releases the slide, but how? ;)

SARmedic118 said:

Here is your answer: You have to pull the trigger to cycle the slide. Use a couple of "snap caps" and you'll see what I mean. If you do not have snap caps, just pull the trigger, I am sure it will not hurt the firing pin if it is pulled a few times without a round in the chamber.

SARmedic118 said:

valvestem is correct.
Sorry I miss read your post. :oops: .
Unless you fire the gun you will need to press the action release lever to cycle the gun.

Too bad the owner's manual does not address simple things like this. Instead leaving it to trial and error for a new owner unfamiliar with the operation of the 500 and its breathren.

valvestem said:
Too bad the owner's manual does not address simple things like this. Instead leaving it to trial and error for a new owner unfamiliar with the operation of the 500 and its breathren.

Looking again at the owners manual it does instruct you how to unload the gun. Pg.7 for the Mav88

Have not been by in a while, but thought I would post an update. Miss Dixie has not had an issue since I changed the ammo to the Remington. I have out about another 100 rounds through her with a mix of Remington Gun Club Target Ammo, the Express #4 Birdshot and 1 oz. Slugger. She went "Bang" every time with no failures to extract.

Re: Maverick 88 problems

Just wondering if you ever got this problem fixed?

Merged Thread.

Old Mossy, I am going to have to send it to Mossberg. The guy from Mossberg you provided has been a big help. Thanks again for the info.

Mark

Mark,thank you for the update. Glad Joe is helping you. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Back