• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick and First time deer hunter

Last month I bought a Maverick in .243 for my girlfriend to use as she has been showing an increasing interest in hunting and shooting in general. Bought it on sale at Academy for $149 and added a Bushnell 3-9X50 to it, totaled out to $275. Went to the ranch and we proceeded to break in "her" rifle and get it sighted in. I never touched it other than to adjust the scope and she was shooting 1.5" at 100 yards by the time we were done. Two weeks ago on a Saturday, was her big day.
Took her to an acquaintances property after an MLD doe.
Got to the ranch and proceeded to check her rifles zero. I fired the first shots to be sure of zero and adjusted right 1 inch. Gave her 3 rounds and she grouped better than me, lol. Guys said, ya that,s her rifle not yours. :p
2011-11-19155501.jpg

Got to the blind and we were covered up almost instantly. We were looking for an older doe and waited for the Right one.

Couple hours later she appeared. Came in from 200 yards and at 75 she turned gave us a shot. Coached her on shot placement, and had her take her time. When she was ready, the rifle barked and the doe ran. 40 yards in, there she was. perfect shot, heart was destroyed. 115lb and 3 years old
2011-11-19171836.jpg

The rifle preformed flawlessly, as did she. For her level of experience, heck even mine, the little maverick, "Bambi Slayer" as she calls it, is more than adequate. She know has plans to have me camo dip the stock in a pink zebra stripe to make it hers, lol :shock:
We were shooting 100gr Remington Core locked shells. So between the rifle, scope,mounts,k rounds and sling, I think I have all of $350 invested into it and I am pretty sure it will last a long time with proper care. Moss berg sent out a quality product at a truly affordable price. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum gatorgar !!

Congrats on the new rifle and great shot !!

Great story! For the money you can't beat a Maverick rifle.

Howdy gatorgar, and welcome to the club. Congrats on a job well done and great coaching....

You could give her the option of ...either you clean your gun, or no more shooting. works every time. ;)

ps... i like the "pink" sling.... :cool:

gatorgar said:
Now if only I could get her to clean her on weapons, lol

I have the same issue with my wife bro. I try to make her do it, but the batting eyelashes get me everytime...

Getting her to clean her guns is like getting her to load her own mags for my AR, ain't gonna happen :roll:
But it's worth it to have her out there with me ;)

Ripjack: the sling was my idea. That way none of my brothers or friends will ask to borrow it, lol. But the problem is that now she wants the pink zebra stripe on the stock. Now to find someone who can dip it...

Another vote for Ammo Head here!

I think they already have a zebra pattern and should be able to fix you up with any color combo you want.

Back