• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick O/U Home Security 12g Shotgun HS12

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Maverick O/U Home Security 12g Shotgun HS12

Attachments

• #75447.jpg
    #75447.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,814

Attachments

• Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_24.jpg
    Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_24.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_25.jpg
    Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_25.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_26.jpg
    Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_26.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 3,805
  • Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_27.jpg
    Mossberg_2011_Buyers_Guide_Page_27.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 3,805
I think these are extremely neat looking (and maybe functioning, as well). Anyone know why they are priced at approximately double what a Maverick pump model costs?

Maverick isn't the only one. Stoeger has a tactical double barrel that is about twice the price of their pump action models. Are double barrel models inherently that much more expensive to produce? On the surface, they seem like they ought to be cheaper to make. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I wouldn't mind picking up a .410 version as long as both barrels were cylinder choke (would be nice to use with one barrel loaded with buckshot and the other loaded with a slug)

I saw a post on another board indicating that there is some sort of lock out mechanism on the HS12 preventing it from firing if pointed at a downward angle. Has anyone else heard of this? This would be a considerable downside in an HD gun.

Just got mine and I'm loving it.
It dose have an lock out about 45%.
My brother likes shoot it more than his pump.

Wonder if you can put an pistol grip and adjustable stock on it?

From a home defense point of view, how detrimental does everyone feel the limitation is where the gun can't fire when pointing down at an angle greater than ~45 degrees?

massmanute said:
From a home defense point of view, how detrimental does everyone feel the limitation is where the gun can't fire when pointing down at an angle greater than ~45 degrees?
Great point and from another HD point of view, who wants to only have 2 shots??? Not me!

Boom, boom, cover, reload and repeat!!!
2 shots should be more enough.
Reload time aren't that long and the noise alone will alert the whole neighborhood.

Simplicity of it. You know what you have loaded - so you can plan accordingly.

ComradeHarii said:
Boom, boom, cover, reload and repeat!!!
2 shots should be more enough.
Reload time aren't that long and the noise alone will alert the whole neighborhood.

Simplicity of it. You know what you have loaded - so you can plan accordingly.

...worked for Doc Holliday I believe.

I understand that at one point Mossberg/Maverick quit putting the lower rail on the HS12 over/under.

Question: Does the current version of the HS12 have the a picatinny rail under the lower barrel?

Thanks

Most Doubles (not sure about this Mossy) - either SxS or vertical - are inherently more expensive to manufacture for a couple of reasons.

1. The barrels are not perfectly parallel but are angled towards each other slightly to obtain a identical point of impact at a specified range.

2. Each barrel will have a different choke.

3. Firing pins and triggers are double what you normally have in a single barrel gun, or there is some mechanism to allow a single trigger to fire either barrel.

And other niceties.

Just got mine and I'm loving it.
It dose have an lock out about 45%.
My brother likes shoot it more than his pump.

Wonder if you can put an pistol grip and adjustable stock on it?

I did some testing with mine (dry fire of course!) and the lock is more like 70% in mine. In other words, IF I had to shoot an intruder from the top of my stairs, no problem. At the same time, being such a short barrel, when I'm busting through the bush hunting it's a nice extra safety to not shoot yourself in the foot!

BTW, I've seen comments about this being no good for covering a bad guy on the ground. Well I'll tell you this... If you are standing right OVER the bad guy you are seriously asking for trouble!!!! I was in the military and the guy who is covering is standing outside of arms reach while the guy who is securing the prisoner is unarmed.

I understand that at one point Mossberg/Maverick quit putting the lower rail on the HS12 over/under.

Question: Does the current version of the HS12 have the a picatinny rail under the lower barrel?

Thanks

Depends on the version. The one at Cabela's (Canada) does but it's a cylinder bore. The one I bought does NOT but it has choke tubes.

Picked up a low round HS12 for another project gun. Why does Mossberg always discontinue firearms that are unique. Started off with a little polish, that forged steel sure is strong.

20220401-132702.jpg

20220401-124136.jpg

Back