• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Memorial Day, May 29th, 2023

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
I'm posting this Memorial Day Rememberance a few days early in the hope that many of our members, both veterans and non veterans, will post thoughts on family members and friends that made the ultimate sacrifice for our Republic and for all it's citizens, regardless of their political views.

And even if you don't feel like adding a written thought how about hitting the "Like Button" to show your appreciate our veterans of war and their families who paid the ultimate price.

Memorial Day is our Nation's Most Sacred Rememberance Day.

Please take a couple of minutes to view the attached video tribute.

Thanks and Bless you All

Last edited:
Memorial Day is an American Remenberence Day, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades.

Most Americans have seen the traditional folding of the American flag, at specific events, such as funerals and wondered why Old Glory is folded that specific way? Much more than just pomp and circumstance, each of the 13 folds holds special meaning.

The flag-folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which our great country was originally founded.
  1. The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.
  2. The second fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.
  3. The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.
  4. The fourth fold represents our weaker nature; as American citizens trusting in God, it is Him we turn to in times of peace, as well as in times of war, for His divine guidance.
  5. The fifth fold is a tribute to our country. In the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong."
  6. The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
  7. The seventh fold is a tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.
  8. The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.
  9. The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood. It has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that has molded the character of the men and women who have made this country great.
  10. The 10th fold is a tribute to father, who has also given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first born.
  11. The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
  12. The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost.
  13. The 13th and last fold, when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God We Trust."

Thank you Ernst for those inspiring posts and thoughts. I listened to the video as I read the 13 folds. It gave me chills, but it also gave me a great sense of pride and hope at the same time.

May god bless those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

mail

mail
TAPS ACROSS AMERICA returns for the 4th year.

On Memorial Day, Americans remember those who have died in military service to the United States. THE NATIONAL MOMENT OF REMEMBRANCE is an annual event that asks all citizens, wherever they are at 3:00 p.m. local time, to pause for a duration of one minute in silent tribute to the men and women who have honorably served in uniform and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation.

TAPS ACROSS AMERICA will again honor those military members. At 3 p.m. (local) on Memorial Day (Monday May 29) thousands of participants will be spread out across our nation to sound the 24 notes of our most solemn bugle call, Taps.

Buglers and trumpeters can sound the call from their front porch, on their apartment balcony, driveway, on the sidewalk, and at cemeteries and memorials, to make sure this musical tribute is given to those who, as President Abraham Lincoln put it, gave the last full measure of
devotion.

We also welcome all instrumentalists who wish to honor our Veterans with the playing of those 24 notes.​

In honor of every service man and woman who fell or became missing in armed conflict against our enemies since June 14, 1775.

And special thoughts for the 514 men of my unit who fell in Vietnam, 1968-1971.
1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized).

For some, every day is Memorial Day.

I tried to get taps and a 21 gun salute performed this year like I did last year at work. I unfortunately was advised that several of the men that did it last year have passed away and they didn't have enough people to do it again this year.

I tried to get taps and a 21 gun salute performed this year like I did last year at work. I unfortunately was advised that several of the men that did it last year have passed away and they didn't have enough people to do it again this year.

You likely know this but the current number of deaths among Vietnam era veterans is 390 per day. Most of us are in our mid to late 70s, our 80s and a very few in their 90s. Been over 50 years since the war ended and to this day most of us are proud of our service to our Republic despite the lack of any "welcome home" back then.

Just hope many of our younger Veterans continue with the rememberances and traditions when we're all gone.

Regards

Back