• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Memorial Day - Our Nation's Most Solemn Day

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.

Memorial Day 2021 will occur on Monday, May 31. Across the Nation, at 3 p.m. local, please join all Americans in a moment of remembrance.

“And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier’s tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.” —Joseph Rodman Drake, poet

Please take a few moments this coming week to watch this video and remember these words, "It Is the Veteran."

I watched the Flag Folding in the video from 2:40 to 4:20 over and over.

Folding-Flag.jpg

One tradition around here, following a few moments of remembrance at 3 pm, is the firing of three shots as a tribute to our military brothers and sisters who gave their lives for our nation.

Regards

One tradition around here, following a few moments of remembrance at 3 pm, is the firing of three shots as a tribute to our military brothers and sisters who gave their lives for our nation.

Regards

Hmmm, that gives me an idea.

Rolling to Remember, formally Rolling Thunder, again this year will ride through Washington, DC today, May 30th, in memory of those brothers and sisters who gave all. Expecting around 15,000 participants, many who are Vietnam vets.

49096390208_7d7b90a0f6_o-2048x1365.jpg

I was only 7 years old when they folded the flag over my grand-father Joe, and I could not be there. This was right after the Cuban missile crisis. Dad couldn’t get leave, so Mom went 2000 miles alone, bringing back his flag. She gave it to me when I was nine years old and I have owned it ever since.
9C53D799-522D-42E3-B798-B72519115E07.jpeg
Two feet from me, and 39 years later, I watched our flag being folded over my father Floyd. It’s a time I will never forget, for many reasons.

These men sailed the oceans when we were losing over 100 ships a week. They flew through the air in war zones where flak was blowing men out of the sky on a regular basis.

They pushed forward in trucks, dodged gunfire, and dove into bunkers to escape mortar shells. They both escaped death more than once, and sometimes narrowly.

Neither escaped injury. They both carried lifelong scars, but I never heard any regrets.

This is the stuff of our legends. Things that I have only seen on television, but I have a real relationship with that spans my life.

If someone asks me why I feel privileged, it’s because of sacrifices made by my ancestors that I feel privileged. Not because of things I am or have done personally. My minuscule efforts have been pretty much limited to putting up flags and shooting off a few fireworks.
6D967181-7F65-4FE2-BBD9-C20746E467AE.jpeg
In any event, long may she wave!

Back