• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Memories...

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This thread is the long gun version of the "You Never Forget Your First" thread I posted in the handgun section.

Tell us about your first experience with a rifle or shotgun. How old were you? What model firearm, caliber, etc? Who were you with? Tell us a little about the experience. We'd love to hear your story...

For me it was at about ten years old and was a .410 snake charmer. We lived out in the sticks on a lake and I was out in the back yard playin fetch with our black lab. The ball went under our back porch and the pup woudn't go in after it. He stood there nervous as all getout and when I started to go in after it he began barking his head off and wouldn't get outta the way. I figured I'd err on the side of caution and grabbed a flashlight. When I shined the light under the porch there was a copperhead about a foot from the ball. That dog saved my neck!

I ran inside and against my better judgement grabbed the old man's .410 without permission. Made quick work of the snake and put everything back as it was. Was nervous as hell when he got home, but fessed up to it, told him the story, and showed him the mangled remains. Turned out he was pretty proud of my handywork. Of course, what immediately followed was a lesson in how to break down and clean the .410 and the rest of his long guns. While I spent the evening cleanin guns, the dog got a t-bone steak and a couple nights sleepin in the house for his part. I loved that dog! :D

To be honest, I can not really think how far back it was. I do remember the first time I pulled the trigger on my dad's 12 ga shotgun, the first time I shot my dad's snubby, and the first time I dropped a rabbit with an air rifle. Good memories.

I can't remember which happened first as they were all pretty close together, but...
target shooting with a Woodsman 22LR pistol
shooting a 3" Nitro Mag 20ga at a killdeer. That left a hell of a bruise on my bicep. ;)
shooting my first deer with my 303 british
shooting the H&R 410 that my grandfather gave me as my first gun. I got very good with that little single shot and have it to this day, 32 years later. :)

All of the above mentioned memories happened with my grandfather on the small farm I grew up on. Good times!

Back